Cloud Cuckoo Land Skyride Station Fire

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
PeteB

[quote=""ATR09""]Little update. Between the 8th and 12th of Feb, the Skyride line between Cloud Cuckoo Land and Main Drive station in the Valley, will be replaced.

So looks like it should be back up and running by March. :)[/quote]

Oh my, good luck with that. What a job!

I guess after all that speculation, the cables were damaged afterall. Good to see Alton Towers are taking no chances.
towersmike

I would like one of the resort's updates to show the skyride station rebuild. As it is very close to th13teen, they could show us some photos or even a video clip of the station. The skyride is not the most important attraction for the 2010 season so updates would be nice.
Choo - Choo!!
mezza

[quote=""towersmike""]I would like one of the resort's updates to show the skyride station rebuild. As it is very close to th13teen, they could show us some photos or even a video clip of the station. The skyride is not the most important attraction for the 2010 season so updates would be nice.[/quote]

I guess it's not something they'll be boasting about too much: "hey guess what, we've fixed the Skyride after we accidentally burned it down!"
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
ihavenoknees

... for the second year in a row.

They better not be going for the hat trick [-o<
see above[/i]
Matt-1509

Just curious, but how do they actually get the cable all the way across the valley? Surly it ways a ton and is really tricky? Anyone know?
Kaz

I would think they anchor the existing cables and use it as a pull through for the new one.
Dormiens-Dave

I don't know exactly how its done at towers, but on many systems the cable is put on using a crane, the pulley at the non-drive end can move to slacken the cable so this is in the slack position, the cable is laid on the rollers using a crane and then they slowly move the pulley to tighten the cable, all the while checking that it stays in the grooves of the rollers.

But they might have an alternative method for the towers. Each manufacturer has slightly different methods.
Matt-1509

I understand that in a way but I just don't get how they would physically get it from one end over the valley, like between the pylons? Do they lay it on the ground? That wouldn't be possible surly? Sorry to keep asking it is just something that has bugged me for a few months!
Bote

I think the most believable solution would be if they attached the new wire to the old one, disconected one end from the old one, then pulled it through, then it would follow the old one round and through the pylons.

Who made Skyride? Was it Poma?
Dormiens-Dave

Yeh Poma made the skyride, like i said i don't know how its done exactly at towers i just know thats one way of doing it on some skyride systems
Matt-1509

Yeah I guess that sounds like the most reasonable way to attach it, thanks for all the replies guys! :)
Alton Buzz

The Skyride construction is getting along nicely...
Where the magic never ends.
Nightfall

Yes it is!
Have they changed the Surrender signs position? I’m sure it was at an angle to the building before but now its almost parallel with it.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Squiggles

Having seen the new station this week, looking through the windows the interior is everso bright, it makes me wonder if the new station will have skylight windows to allow more light in.
Edwardo..... move me!
jomo1993

What worries me is the amount of glass in the building :P

Not very scouser proof! :lol:
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
Chris W

[quote=""jomo1993""]What worries me is the amount of glass in the building :P

Not very scouser proof! :lol:[/quote]

Sorry for being off topic but... what is your problem with Scousers? You are constantly making "jokes" that scousers will break things at Alton Towers. You shouldn't be so stereotypical. :roll:

-----

Anyway... based on the photos from this week the station is looking pretty similar to the old one (as expected). I'm looking forward to seeing the extra details which will be added in the future.
jomo1993

[quote=""Chris""][quote=""jomo1993""]What worries me is the amount of glass in the building :P

Not very scouser proof! :lol:[/quote]

Sorry for being off topic but... what is your problem with Scousers? You are constantly making "jokes" that scousers will break things at Alton Towers. You shouldn't be so stereotypical. :roll:

-----

Anyway... based on the photos from this week the station is looking pretty similar to the old one (as expected). I'm looking forward to seeing the extra details which will be added in the future.[/quote]

I got no problem in the slightest with scousers - it was a light hearted joke, being from stoke, people think im a scouser. :D

What other jokes have i made about scousers

In all seriousness, i think the building, as you say is very similar to the old one, and i really hope they keep the scenery (as in the querky little airship signs etc) the same. I cant wait to go back on the skyride, and i just pray that there will not ever be another fire!
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
Crofty

There does seem to be a lot of glass now it's been mentioned.

The old building had about the same but at some point the windows were boarded up and painted over, probably because of vandalism as mentioned.

Maybe this is not a problem nowadays? In the '90's I remember queueing for ages around the building late in the afternoon as most guests had made their up to this area during the day and needed to get back to the entrance. Now of course the attractions are far more spread out.

Do we still get long queues for this?

:) :)
Jon

The Skyride tended to much through queues quite well, even at the end of the day. Oddly it was more effecient at these times, as everyone is headed the same way so there's less fuss.

I say that, but the Skyride barely had time to gather a queue due to large numbers of breakdowns. Early on in the season especially, it suffered badly from stoppage.
Formerly "Dagoo"
James6

Saw yesterday at the park, that now, a sign has been added to the roof which is very nice looking in the style of the old Skyride, wish I'd got a picture.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P