Adventure Island

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Ash

It does look really fun and compact, what is throughput like on these machines?

Owwww i really want to go on one!
Nick

If it runs 3 trains i'm sure it would be over 1000pph. Its a sub 1 minute ride so it would probably usually run 2 trains most of the time. 1 train can be on track, one at the base of the lift waiting and one in the station. If queues build up they will eat through them very quickly
caffeine_demon

[quote=""NickAndrews""]New test video available

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxFZ7en4sTc[/quote]

cool - Can't wait to see one with riders!
Kaycee

[quote=""NickAndrews""]If it runs 3 trains i'm sure it would be over 1000pph. Its a sub 1 minute ride so it would probably usually run 2 trains most of the time. 1 train can be on track, one at the base of the lift waiting and one in the station. If queues build up they will eat through them very quickly[/quote]

Speed appeared to have quite speedy (aha - see what I did there :P) batching. Indeed one car will wait at the base of the lift until the preceding car hits the MCBR and I think there can be up to two cars in the station loading/unloading. They certainly do seem to eat up the queues quite quickly. However, Rage doesn't look like it has an MCBR? In that case, will probably be a smaller throughput.
Nick

It doesn't have a MCBR because the whole thing lasts less than a minute. Throughput will be high if they run 3 cars
Dr Pop Rocket

I got a lift down to Adventure Island today to see if anything was happening on site, not much was going on, two workmen were just working in and around the lift tower and there was one of the cars at the top of the lift which remained like that for the duration of my visit.

Here are some photos:

The car that was up on the lift tower for the duration of my visit...

One of the Rage cars in the Station..

Tower/Layout Shot!

Kicker Wheel on the base of the lift tower...

Sexy yellow track. lol

Chain motor..

Inline...

The support base structures.

Supports connecting to the base.

The tri-track in the sun.

Random shot...

More track...

97 Degrees Straight Down!

Random container shot...

Another drop shot..

I leave you with a shot of Southend Beach...

George! :)

[/img]
Nick

Its looking looking absolutely awesome, all shiney and new! But i'm sure the winds from the North Sea carrying salt and sand will soon start to digest Rage's paint work!
Nick

UPDATE: Rage is set to open Saturday February 10th :D :) :D
Dr Pop Rocket

Damn! Why did it have to open on the Thorpe Opening day Meet, I think I might actually get the train over to Southend on the Sunday to get on it instead of going to Thorpe again...

Not too long now until I finally get to ride Rage!
Ash

Great pictures, the ride looks brilliant :D
TenZero

Rage isn't set to open for 10th Feb, it did appear as that date on Hurri's site, but it's changed to 'ready for half term' now.
I doubt they'll open it on the same day as thorpe somehow.
Well spotted though Nick :wink:
TenZero

I was proved wrong. In my view this is a bad move by the park.
Dr Pop Rocket

[quote=""Matt_""]I was proved wrong. In my view this is a bad move by the park.
Image[/quote]

How is it a bad move ? The ride will be complete by Half Term, whats wrong about it ? Its going to attract a few more visitors, so how can it possibly be a bad move.....

I believe the reason they are calling it pre-launch is because the ride will close again afterwards and then will not re-open until the season gets fully underway as until that time comes the park is normally dead so they obviously do not want to run it if the parks going to be quiet.

Either that or its just a clever marketing technique to try and get as many people as possible down there to make them believe they could be the first riders.

But I could be wrong on both accounts, either way I will be popping down to ride this some time in the half term, shall be great fun! :)
caffeine_demon

I'll be going too! probably the monday....
AstroDan

Be good to ride this.

Just watched the test video.

23 seconds...

:?
Dara

So will it definately be opening tomorrow then?
The pictures on RCDB must be quite out of date since they only show it mid construction.

I've never been to Southend but I shall have to try and make a visit at some point this season.
Dr Pop Rocket

[quote=""Dara""]So will it definately be opening tomorrow then?
The pictures on RCDB must be quite out of date since they only show it mid construction.

I've never been to Southend but I shall have to try and make a visit at some point this season.[/quote]

The ride will open tommorow, and will remain open all half term, I beleive it will then shut until the season gets fully underway, which would be sometime in March.
Dr Pop Rocket

Rage Review

After going on Rage 22 times today (Thursday 15th February) I finally came to a conclusion on what I thought of the ride and how it rated amongst the other Roller Coasters in the UK!

On approach the ride looks quite impressive, the area is not very well themed, in fact there is no such thing as theming on this ride which is a shame as Adventure Island seem to theme the large majority of there rides very well, even though there is no theming the area and the ride itself is very well presented, there are banners up throughout the area, they have put up hanging baskets around the ride as well as plant pots and so on..

The ride looks pretty awesome in the flesh with its fresh and rather loud colour scheme, you then walk into the queue line, the queue was pretty much non-existent while I was there, that’s pretty good considering the queue line is not very big..

You then walk into the station which yet again is very fresh and modern, there were these awesome cylinder shaped speakers that hang from the roof in the station, they looked very futuristic and played announcements throughout such as "Exit to you left" etc..

Your then assigned to a seat, sadly its pot luck on whether you get in the front row or not, luckily most of the time I got front row, although other times I got back row, now there is not much of a difference in terms of ride experience between the rows, but obviously the view from the front is much better than that at the back.

You pull down the restraint, then away you go, you gradually make your way to the base of the lift tower where you normally stop for a few seconds, then the lift motor starts up and away you go!

Going up the lift tower is such a weird experience, you cannot really describe what its like, it just feels unnatural, yet at the same time it was fantastic and it really got your heart pumping...

Then you gradually level out, then all of a sudden you just plummet, this can come as quite a surprise if your sitting at the back and cannot see ahead. The curve of the drop offers some great airtime and gives a brief moment of that stomach sensation, the drop really was a lot of fun and its the highlight of the ride, although its all over quite quickly, which is a shame, but either way during that short time you get a nice amount of airtime to wet your appetite!

Now you head into the loop, now I thought the positive G's at this point would of been pretty high, but if I'm honest they turned out to be pretty weak, you did get a nice amount of positive G's, but I expected it to be a bit more forceful, it felt about the same as that applied by Air, which is about 3 - 3.5 G's, then you reach the top of the loop and at this point the train has slowed down quite drastically, but this I feel is far better than if you was to fly through it, you get a really great amount of hang time, not really thrilling, but fun.

Then you head down and into the over banked turn, now throughout the ride so far it has been very smooth, but the transition into the over banked is very abrupt, and if you have your head back it will get banged by the side of the restraint.. Then you head up and over and like the loop you get another fantastic dose of hang time, then you head down, which is odd as this time the transition is quite smooth compared to the entry transition..

Then you head up into the helix, like the over banked entry transition your head is banged into the side of the restraint again, its not a really painful or harsh head bang, just a knock on the head if you know what I mean.

Once you get up and into the helix its rather boring, its not thrilling or fun, nothing that exciting but its something and is just a little gap where you can collect yourself.

Then you enter the inline, this is by far one of the best in-lines I have experienced, it is beautifully heart-lined making it incredibly smooth and it offers some excellent hang time as well as a few head choppers with nearby supports. Very Fun!

Then you go down and round into the upward helix, this is quite a fast and rather forceful transition, it offers a few hand and head choppers, then you go into the final helix, like most of the other elements its fun and enjoyable although at this point the train is rather rickety and is vibrating quite a bit, this does not really effect you much but its just something I noticed..

You then hit the brake run, which is very smooth, you come to a gentle stop and then you head back into the station..

Rage offers a rather fun, enjoyable and unique experience, I would not say its thrilling, although the lift climb and the drop itself certainly get your heart going..

Rage is not, fantastic, but at the same time its not bad, for what it cost it does an awful lot compared to most other coasters that cost a lot more, it's something unique to England (Speed (Oakwood) being in Wales) and it certainly will do wonders for the park, the main downside to the ride is its duration, its over quite quickly once your over the crown of the lift tower, but the queue never gets any longer than 10 minutes on most days so you can ride it plenty of times without having to wait for ages in a queue..

Rage, its a fun ride, its a ride I believe you should experience (Unless you have already been on a Euro fighter that is) at least once, and I'm sure you would want to go on it again many times after that, it has a very high re-rideability factor!

Rage gets a 7/10 from me, its another great addition to the UK and if your ever Essex area go and ride Rage, it's very enjoyable!

You can also download a Music Video I have made of Rage, it includes POV Footage as well as a variety of other shots, download from here...

Edit: You can find a lower quality version over on YouTube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rrj6fFjKu_0
Last edited by Dr Pop Rocket on Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt 125

That is one great video George. Love some of the effects.

Sounds like a nice little rollercoaster. The shaking of the loop though! :P

Matt :D