The Smiler - Other Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
TheSmiler1998

bealyboy wrote: + it is in da game
Oh check you out "da game" lol  :roll:
Sounds like your a teen pregnancy short of an asbo!  :D
Don't trying to be nasty before everyone jumps on me though, I'm making a light hearted joke
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
Jammydodger

According to the park map, Fasttrack is already available.
I wouldn't put it past Merlin happily taking some idiots money for it...
ilyAlton

TheSmiler1998 wrote:
Don't trying to be nasty before everyone jumps on me though, I'm making a light hearted joke
hahahahha bro:')
dylan.tempelaars

NINJAwarrior360 wrote: Just noticed this in the shower!

alton towers naughty! :shock:
some people call me insane, you are right!
foleyshikari

315 quid a night is a big no from me! Love the rooms though, very interested to see what the interactive elements are....
bealyboy

ilyAlton wrote:
TheSmiler1998 wrote:
hahahahha bro:')
Lol I don't even know why I put that!!
SMILE.ALWAYS
Owen

Erm they may have made (or its suppose to be there) a little boo boo  :lol:
NINJAwarrior360 wrote:
Notice the THE SMILER is written backwards above the cupboard ne'er the sink
King Nemesis

Yeahh.. which makes the smiler text the right way in the reflection... the whole idea of the room is to be confusing / different
Last edited by King Nemesis on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonoD

This is a bit off the tangent of what's being currently talked about, but do we know in what capacity John Wardley is involved in the SW7 project?

We know he's involved, but to what degree? (Devising the theme? coming up with the coaster type?), also... how involved do you think he is with the coaster's development and construction?
youarecorrectsir

JonoD wrote: This is a bit off the tangent of what's being currently talked about, but do we know in what capacity John Wardley is involved in the SW7 project?

We know he's involved, but to what degree? (Devising the theme? coming up with the coaster type?), also... how involved do you think he is with the coaster's development and construction?
Technically he has never been trained to 'design' rollercoasters as such. He used to work in doing special effects for things like the Bond movies. Basically, Alton Towers will ask him to come up with an idea that will make them loads of money.

Take Air for instance... John Wardley would have been asked to think something up. He goes: "You know what would be cool? A rollercoaster where you were lying suspended - so its like youre flying. AT will then contact B&M and ask them if its possible. B&M say yes, do some surveying of the park and then propose a track layout to the Towers planning team and John. They agree, B&M construct it and John Wardley and his team set the theme and story etc and generally transform it from plain old steel into a piece of art.

Hope that answers your question!
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]
JayJay90

JonoD wrote: This is a bit off the tangent of what's being currently talked about, but do we know in what capacity John Wardley is involved in the SW7 project?

I think but Im not 100% that all he had with this was the ride layout design? there was much debate over what he actually did in terms of "designing". However he did say that riding the swarm was just like how he created it in nolimits so he may actually be quite active in designing :)
Tom G

He designs the layout to rides. I don't know if he has a degree in physics but he will certainly know what does work and what won't. He doesn't design rides in the complete sense of the word, as in he doesn't design the track type, how it is support, brakes, operated etc. Those problems are solved by the manufacturer's engineers.
JonoD

I think a lot of people misinterpreted my question there,

I know that John can do basic layouts and can devise experiences and the like, but I was interested in his involvement with the project. So for example...

Nemesis: Pretty much John's baby.He frequented the construction site to oversee construction, was heavily involved in creating the concept and coming up with a back story and theme (even the name).

So basically, is John acting as a a real influence on the project, or is he simply someone Alton Towers is looking to for guidance?
Owen

King Nemesis wrote: Yeahh.. which makes the smiler text the right way in the reflection... the whole idea of the room is to be confusing / different
Yes exactly my point!
scw55

JonoD wrote: I think a lot of people misinterpreted my question there,

I know that John can do basic layouts and can devise experiences and the like, but I was interested in his involvement with the project. So for example...

Nemesis: Pretty much John's baby.He frequented the construction site to oversee construction, was heavily involved in creating the concept and coming up with a back story and theme (even the name).

So basically, is John acting as a a real influence on the project, or is he simply someone Alton Towers is looking to for guidance?
I think given he retired before The Smiler was even complete, implied that he didn't have the involvement that he had with Nemesis. He must have disconnected with confidence that the project would finish to the expected standard. So speculatively, helped with narrative and layout and any revisions. I don't think he was actively part of design and construction. You'd think if he was part of design he'd still be around to oversee the Marmaliser being installed and the finishing touches.
JonoD

The radio program earlier today has answered this pretty definitely :P

This ride is mainly Candy Holland's creation with some layout help from John Wardley. He was secretly reading these boards....  :lol:
clayj

scw55 wrote: I don't think he was actively part of design and construction.
If John had been part of construction they we would have seen him disregarding health and safety running around the site in a tight white tshirt like a nutter... Maybes that was just for nemesis lol
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Joshysqaushy

I was in school and we were designing clocks... here was my idea for a smiler clock, sadly my stupid teacher dismissed it as silly and too detailed; i now hate my teacher
As you can see the clock has all the effects of the marmaliser on the sides of it such as the hypnotiser, the flasher, the giggler, the inoculator and the tickler.

I put it in miscellaneous because i didn't know where else to put it...  :D
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40
Phild94

Several lectures into the day I gave up with trying to listen about the fascinating realm of DNA polymerization and decided instead to come up with a temporary logo for the x-sector/towers or possibly for the TV adverts..... it was only done in about 10 minutes but i think you'll get the general idea XD

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
Andzdrew

I'm extremely interested in that barcode! It doesn't really belong with the theme, and yet it was wrapped around the smiler promotional bus aswell... Maybe I'm reading too much into it but can anyone scan the barcode and see if it means anything?