Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Stan.H

Still sounds great!
Ryan.B

If sky ride is not closed, we could get some sneaky peeks and photos of it hopefully!
Morgan

One element I am desperate for is a similar drop to that on Outlaw run, where it does a mini drop, into an airtime moment and then the main drop. Definitely a new type of inversion for RMC- maybe a vertical loop. Maybe an inline twist as it comes out of the station? Or is that too Smiler?
Ryan.B

Drop into corkscrew like helix would be good, I would imagine that could be one of the 3 'high points' of the ride!
NemesisRider

If this is RMC, every woodie they have done has been very different in style. Take for example their conversions of Wicked Cyclone and Medusa (Six Flags Mexico). They are fairly similar heights yet so different in style. Even with their woodies, they have Outlaw run which is very twisty and Goliath which is more about straight drops and dives.

It very much depends what John Wardley, as if he has done this as his final design he will have had a large say, wants. If this is a more traditional Intamin woodie (which I doubt Nick Varney would like) then it will probably be Alton Towers first airtime machine. If it was an RMC, I reckon we'd see inversions thrown in there, still lots of airtime hills but probably more banked turns than on a traditional woodie. if this is a woodie of any type John will pull out all the stops (in layout terms) to convince the GP they are good.

In terms of a launch, I do doubt it. I bet Dollywood will get that USP with Shot Rod next year. RMC's don't have amazing throughput anyways so a launch could hinder that too.
Ripsaw Raver

if it it is RMC ,I would love to see the Zero-G-Stall on this one, one thing i love about RMC is that even little bumps they make exciting lol, the potential for them with the terrain could make this a world class that not even Rob Alvey could demote. Exciting times for sure
MerlinFan

Just watched videos of Outlaw Run - wow!! I've never seen a wooden rollercoaster with inversions before. It looks incredible fun to ride.
Jack

Just had a look around FV and there are a LOT of white tags, this is from the inside of the skyride turn in the queue all the way to the Air disabled queue. Whatever this is, it is going to be BIG! :)
Morgan

That is a large area for development! I think that means that there will be no-more Ripsaw next year. Bye bye flats!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The trees marked around Air's disabled queue are probably for the Rollercoaster Restaurant extension rather than the 2017 coaster.
Jack

Lewis is probably right, but it is a massive amount of trees that have been tagged. I really look forward to seeing how this develops :)
Stan.H

They might add more flats elsewhere in the park next year and then the coaster comes in 2017...
Ryan.B

Have they got tags in between Air and Skyride, near The Blade and Ripsaw, and a bit on the path?
Stan.H

From what I have herd yes, but not sure!!
Morgan

Jack wrote:Just had a look around FV and there are a LOT of white tags, this is from the inside of the skyride turn in the queue all the way to the Air disabled queue. Whatever this is, it is going to be BIG! :)
Wait... They're ALL the same colour? Surely that's the same development, wouldn't they use a different colour for different developments?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Morgan wrote:
Jack wrote:Just had a look around FV and there are a LOT of white tags, this is from the inside of the skyride turn in the queue all the way to the Air disabled queue. Whatever this is, it is going to be BIG! :)
Wait... They're ALL the same colour? Surely that's the same development, wouldn't they use a different colour for different developments?
Can't say I'm entirely sure, but I don't think the tag colours necessarily indictates what project the trees are being removed for. It could be that they're all tagged with the same colours as they intend to remove all the trees for the extension and rollercoaster in one go. This would make sense with construction of the extension scheduled for closed season and I expect initial groundwork on the coaster will start early next year, if not before.
Capt.Barnacles

I shall be sure to check this out if I'm definitely on park next month, and get some photos showing them :)
MakoMania

I was on park wed 27th May and saw a couple of pretty big mud mounds in the valley not far from the skyride station. Any thoughts? I thought it would be odd to have started ground clearing since they haven'y got planning permission.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Owen

Didn't Thorpe Park begin minor ground work for WC16/IAC before PP was granted? :-k
Stan.H

Thrillmad wrote:Didn't Thorpe Park begin minor ground work for WC16/IAC before PP was granted? :-k
Think so, not sure...