Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
NemesisRider

I think this is just a rumor, if anyone is about to start launching woodies it's RMC. I mean, they have Alan Schllike creator of the first 4D coaster and tons of new development. GG don't quite seem to be into that kind of stuff.
Aidan Lowe

NemesisRider wrote:GG don't quite seem to be into that kind of stuff.
GG has already developed a launched wooden coaster back in 2009?, its the only group to my knowledge who have dabbled in a launch system on a wooden coaster.

http://thegravitygroup.com/gravitycast/timberliner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
• Launch system capable
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Capt.Barnacles

It may not be a world's first, just because Merlin are predictable for going for world's/Europe's/UK's first rides doesn't necessarily mean they'll go for one :) Everyone seems to believe this will be launched, but until we see anything further I'll hold my speculation at that :P
Danny

I said Gravity Group when I first heard about this. I also think, knowing towers it'll have a launch of some form. Varney has given in to a woodie, but won't let go of the need for worlds first :lol
jamesc

Has a launch woodie ever been done before.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!
LiamJDouse

Gravity Group said back in 2008 when they were discussing their Timberliners, that they were designed to be "Launch Capable". If the launch rumour is to be believed, I would put them as designer of this ride.
dazza4783

jamesc wrote:Has a launch woodie ever been done before.
Rumour has it that Dollywood are opening a Launched RMC woodie next year, so if that is the case then SW8 won't be a World First, would be a European first.
Karnan

dazza4783 wrote:
jamesc wrote:Has a launch woodie ever been done before.
Rumour has it that Dollywood are opening a Launched RMC woodie next year, so if that is the case then SW8 won't be a World First, would be a European first.
It was known that this wouldn't be entirely a world's first when developing plans, but it does have one unique claim... "World's First Launched Inverting Wooden Coaster." From what I've heard, Dollywood's "Shot Rod" will be the World's First Launched Wooden Coaster opening in 2016, but it will not invert like ours will. But "Shot Rod" will be similar to SW8 in many respects, so keep your eyes and ears open later this year when it is announced to have a "sneak peak" at SW8!

Also, in regards to the last few pages, 1.2m (48") is standard on the RMC trains, and there will not be any OTSRs.

Finally, this will 100% be RMC...
Ryan.B

Roller coaster club of Great Britain posted something like this on Facebook. " not saying names but someone is working an a launched wooden coaster" they're saying it like its a fact, they are reliable, Alton are working on a wooden coaster and screamscape also reported rumours of a launched wooden coaster coming to Alton Towers. 14.5m seems an perfect height for a launch, if it is a true rumour, would it be an incline launch?
dazza4783

AT lover wrote:Roller coaster club of Great Britain posted something like this on Facebook. " not saying names but someone is working an a launched wooden coaster" they're saying it like its a fact, they are reliable, Alton are working on a wooden coaster and screamscape also reported rumours of a launched wooden coaster coming to Alton Towers. 14.5m seems an perfect height for a launch, if it is a true rumour, would it be an incline launch?
Well Andy Hine has a good relationship with Alton Towers and John Wardley so no reason to doubt it and has most likely had permission from them to drop hints about it. I think they must be very close to submitting their full planning application, I think this one will be submitted earlier than the smiler's was just because of the chance that it may not be given permission with parts of it being visible through the trees.
thi3teenloverboy14

I really like the idea of this Lauching Woodie but im worried that it will take the quietness of the gardens away. I do like a walk through the gardens because its away from the loudness of the park but this coaster could ruin it. On the other hand they did say there would be sound tunnels so it might not be as loud. If the local residents find out about this and it being near the gardens they might make a petition or something. That is probably the only big thing in the way of planning permission.
NemesisRider

I know it probably means nothing but people have said Varney acted suspiciously when he was asked about RMC at Neme21s ;)
dazza4783

NemesisRider wrote:I know it probably means nothing but people have said Varney acted suspiciously when he was asked about RMC at Neme21s ;)
You can see exactly how he acted and what he said here.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To me it looks like both John Wardley and Nick Varney have a wry smile on their faces and are trying not to give anything away.
ridleybowen

Ok - First and foremost these claims made by Karnan undeniably have validity, especially considering we now have access to plans released by Alton Towers. These plans are available on Google, they do not look at the coaster layout but they do give us some valuable clues. First and foremost - the low max height - strongly suggesting this will be a launch coaster. Secondly, the removal of trees and most significantly the comment that the coaster will be of "timber truss" construction! Therefore it appears indisputable that this will be a wooden coaster of some description. The comments made by Karnan were released prior to these plans, lucky hunch? Or extraordinarily accurate predictions of the next coaster, I also saw similar comments posted on another forum, claiming to have seen the same plans. Rocky Mountain Construction are taking the industry by storm, they are cheap and the mistakes made with the Smiler (cost of repairs were extortionate) will undoubtedly not be made again. You may think these claims are false, but with the release of Alton Towers' plans there is no doubt that his view seems true - it could just be that an RMC is coming to the UK; be very, very excited.
Dom

Given how popular woodies are becoming again, it does make sense for AT to get one, especially with the likes of RMC making them thrilling. My only concern about this, if it does get the green light, would be the possible effect on the sky ride. If it's actually going where we think it's going, isn't that under quite a lowish point of the sky ride? This would mean the sky ride would have to close for a bit and people will only whinge about having to walk. I can't see AT putting in another mode of transportation to make up for it if it does need to close.
Alex

Why would it have to shut for a bit Dom?
Dom

We are talking about Merlin. They like taking their time in building new coasters. Look at the Smiler. :lol So chances are that some of the build might take place while the park is open. I don't know if the coaster actually goes anywhere near the the skyride, but if it does and the haven't got round to fnishing that bit before the park opens, chances are the Skyrdie would be closed for both H&S and also to stop the geeks from seeing it before it opens.
Jack

I doubt that the Skyride will need to be closed for this, although we will be able to see at least some construction of it, the Skyride is still essential for a lot of people to get around the park faster and easier. That point of the Skyride is actually the highest I believe, at least it is when it's over the valley so I doubt that H&S will have anything to say about it :)
Ryan.B

I reckon it will be RMC due to the clues so far.

They are the top wooden coaster manufacturer and Alton is the top UK park
They can build all sorts of elements and are unique
They could easily think of another worlds first
RMC themselves confirmed they were in talks with a ukpark a few months ago
RMC are fully booked for the next few years, they most likely wouldnt admit they were in talks unless someone had booked a coaster
RMC was mentioned at the neme21s celebrations and a question was asked to Nick Varney, which he'd isn't seem like he wanted to answer, and he looked like he was trying to hide RMC existed
The expressions on John Wardley and Nick Varneys faces when that was asked looked like they were hinting
Scream scape posted about Alton possibly getting a wooden launch coaster in 2017
Rollercoaster club of Great Britain posted about a UK park getting a wooden launch on the same day, they don't usual say things like that unless they know something
Andy Hines MBE and owner of RCCOGB also was at Neme21s event as a special guest
He has a good relation ship with Alton Towers and John Wardley and wouldn't post something like that if there wasn't anything to it.
Wooden coasters are becoming more popular
RMC would be willing to take the risk of a wooden launch.
Most enthusiasts want one, and so do the GP I asked, none of them thought wooden coasters were unsafe, proving previous stories about the GPs opinion wrong.
The Planning Permission/screening opinion.
RMC have made them uniquer, and therefore easier to market.

And that, is why I think an RMC's worlds/europes first wooden launch is coming to a Alton Towers! :D
MakoMania

Can you imagine after all this it turns out to be a Vekoma :)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]