The Smiler - Other Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
clayj

Samwise wrote: He said the dates that are being thrown around for opening are the 1st, 25th & the 31st
May, June, or July.
Last edited by clayj on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Samwise

May, obviously.
Wise
bealyboy

Well to be honest, I think the 31st is the most likely.
Last edited by bealyboy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMILE.ALWAYS
AltonTowerfanatic

I have been wondering how will some of the effects work, I know about the flashing lights of the needle f,yang towards you but how will the laughing gas work ey can't give you real laughing gas! Can they?? And the  hypnotiser work spinning board won't even be noticed and the tickler 4d cars maybe with leg tacklers? But again unnoticed and how will any be noticed unless your on the front row??
I'm ready to Smile!
ilyAlton

AltonTowerfanatic wrote: I have been wondering how will some of the effects work, I know about the flashing lights of the needle f,yang towards you but how will the laughing gas work ey can't give you real laughing gas! Can they?? And the  hypnotiser work spinning board won't even be noticed and the tickler 4d cars maybe with leg tacklers? But again unnoticed and how will any be noticed unless your on the front row??
I'm assuming it's all psychological rather than physical, if you've ever watched Derren Brown he uses subtle techniques to make people believe something, perhaps AT will use this too, in a pre-show maybe?

Then again this does seem rather far-fetched for a rollercoaster. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
KittyKat

Random but just been watching Mark Kerrigan's speech at the TT thing last year nd it made me chuckle when he emphasised how SW7 will be open on time. Don't think anyone estimated the lovely British weather.  :lol:

On another note, anyone have any idea how much the weather this weekend may have put work back? There isn't a drop of snow where I am but it looks pretty bad down south.
JayJay90

KittyKat wrote: Random but just been watching Mark Kerrigan's speech at the TT thing last year nd it made me chuckle when he emphasised how SW7 will be open on time. Don't think anyone estimated the lovely British weather.  :lol:

On another note, anyone have any idea how much the weather this weekend may have put work back? There isn't a drop of snow where I am but it looks pretty bad down south.
the snow fall is pretty bad here in the midlands and its not just whats fallen, its the snow drifts too. Alton Towers have said that they are opening tomorrow. This tells me that they have had enough people on site to sweep the paths and make it safe for guests. They did say when the snow started to fall that construction on the smiler carried on as usual as they had gritted the site etc. However seeing the image of the smiler today, the ground has a huge blanket of snow on it and the high winds have meant that the cranes are down. However, whilst track may not be going up etc, im sure work else where on the site continues :)
Bexbunce

I watched a film the other day called 'house on haunted hill'

The film was based in an abondoned asylum and the guests have to stay a night to earn $1million. The guy hosting it has cameras set up to spy on them. Anyway the interesting part was the guy hosting the party was playing tricks on their minds in order to scare them and he even had rides that would make you think you are going to die in order to scare you. He firstly is in a lift and plays out that its falling and the guests are scared etc etc and then they go onto a roller coaster (the hulk, IOA) and whilst they are travelling around the track the car infront supposedly falls off the track because the track is broke like in final destination and then when they get close its fine.

Anyway I thought I would share just because it has a very similar background to the film asylum which I remember reading that an actor from the maze had said the smiler was similar to or based on it. It's an ok film, not great but was interesting seems the smiler is based on scaring you beyond just the physical side.
Ripsaw Raver

Sort of in the right place, and beleive me when i say this took a long time to do!
Finally a HQ MOJ Logo in Wallpaper Form

Inspired by a Wallpaper on Alton Towers Guide FB

A Bit of Glow
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
dylan.tempelaars

Ripsaw Raver wrote: Sort of in the right place, and beleive me when i say this took a long time to do!
Finally a HQ MOJ Logo in Wallpaper Form

Inspired by a Wallpaper on Alton Towers Guide FB

A Bit of Glow
wow wow wow wow i love these! now have one as my desktop
some people call me insane, you are right!
AltonTowerfanatic

Ohhhh just though of something after click the guys link to post back...
The sanctuary will not be permeant, sadly but as I know they can't and all the effects eg: clostraphobic ( i know spelt wrong haha ) but do you the the queue line will be the scare maze eg: actors, the rooms ect was they said something about a pre show....

Or is that just rubbish... You decide haha  :D
I'm ready to Smile!
clayj

AltonTowerfanatic wrote: Ohhhh just though of something after click the guys link to post back...
The sanctuary will not be permeant, sadly but as I know they can't and all the effects eg: clostraphobic ( i know spelt wrong haha ) but do you the the queue line will be the scare maze eg: actors, the rooms ect was they said something about a pre show....

I've thought that for a long time as theres loads of space downstairs once you enter the building before you even go up the stairs to the station :)
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
vinyljunkie

i was thinking that today aswell, how cool would it be if the sanctuary was in the form of a que line!!!! i hope so
arsenalfan-1

clayj wrote:
AltonTowerfanatic wrote: Ohhhh just though of something after click the guys link to post back...

I've thought that for a long time as theres loads of space downstairs once you enter the building before you even go up the stairs to the station :)
I don't want to be a killjoy but I think it would be very difficult for AT to control. It would be good though. :moj
Thanks Lewis97
Altontowersbarlow

It would be amazing but I think it could put off some people who hate scare mazes its like putting someone whos scared of spiders in a corridor of tarantulas while quieing for a rollercoaster but.......... its the smiler.......you never know
AltonTowerfanatic

altontowersbarlow wrote: It would be amazing but I think it could put off some people who hate scare mazes its like putting someone whos scared of spiders in a corridor of tarantulas while quieing for a rollercoaster but.......... its the smiler.......you never know

See that what I hate, I feel alton have cut back on some really cool effects because people may be to scared... Well if they are TOO BAD! Haha :D this ride should be mad for extremist, so if people are too scared then that's there own fault and they will just miss out.... Haha  :D you can tell if I ever build a coaster it will be pretty messed up haha ;)
Last edited by AltonTowerfanatic on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm ready to Smile!
clayj

AltonTowerfanatic wrote:
altontowersbarlow wrote: It would be amazing but I think it could put off some people who hate scare mazes its like putting someone whos scared of spiders in a corridor of tarantulas while quieing for a rollercoaster but.......... its the smiler.......you never know

See that what I hate, I feel alton have cut back on some really cool effects because people may be to scared... Well if they are TOO BAD! Haha :D this ride should be mad for extremist, so if people are too scared then that's there own fault and they will just miss out.... Haha  :D you can tell if I ever build a coaster it will be pretty messed up haha ;)
Thus leading too shorter ques lol
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
AltonTowerfanatic

clayj wrote:
AltonTowerfanatic wrote:

Thus leading too shorter ques lol

Two great mind think alike haha we should open our own theme park :D but honestly I hope they do make something to weed about the scared haha ;) therefore less annoying screams haha
I'm ready to Smile!
Owen

My own random poster

Plus bonus I love at poster

And this one

Last edited by Owen on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewR1990

Why don't you guys put your pictures and media in this thread? http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/the-smil ... d-imagery/
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.