Scarefest - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
MakoMania

lamondo wrote:I have a scared of nothing almost 12 year old daughter and I was wondering if the age restrictions on the mazes are strictly enforced, or like some movies, its a guide. I suspect the former but would like feedback from anyone who is familiar with the mazes. Thanks in advance
They are not strictly enforced, if they ask her age just lie and say she is 15 :)

Some of the mazes can be intense though, so just be prepared!
Last edited by MakoMania on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Justin

Mazes are strongly recommended for 15+ this year. Last year checks did take place although on what level I do not know. It may be worth dropping Alton Towers a line directly. Sorry I can't help you more.
Morgan

After a quick read of the website, it seems all three returning mazes will be changing a little. AMT offers an "extended tour" (possibly hinting at a new, better finale), Sub has "new routes" (the finale is going in a different route, maybe the labyrinth will be shaken up too?) and ToTT is "scarier than ever" (hopefully meaning that the conga is done with and touching is allowed).
Justin

I really hope ToTT is reworked and that the extended tour doesn't lead to extended queues!
rolicoli8

There are now the usual Scarefest construction information signs on the fences blocking off entry to the Courtyard, pretty much confirming The Welcoming is going to be in there.
Justin

If that is the location then you are very likely to enter from Towers Street side and exit opposite the SW8 site. The location may also indicate that The Welcoming: Be Chosen will only be open for one year due to the redevelopment of The Courtyard. There is nothing of course stopping them moving it in 2018 though.
Danny

If it was to be in the courtyard, I wonder if they will reveal the theming structure on site for Scarefest. They have gone to extreme's to ensure very little is seen, and it certainly seems to be a focus.

Either way I'm really looking forward Scarefest, they confirmed at ScareCON that AMT will be getting a new ending and during our run throughs it was fairly different to last year. :)
Bert

TowersStreet Facebook have spotted Scarefest Signs go up in the courtyard, further suggesting The Welcoming:Be Chosen will be located here. 
[Insert Signature Here]
ROYJESS

More pics from TPWW

Dom

Am I the only one getting vibes that this new maze may not be as good as we are hoping. I don't get the decision to use the Mutiny Bay Courtyard as the location for it. It sort of feels like a very last minute decision for its location.
Morgan

I'm with you here Dom, as much as I trust the ents team to create a stunning scare attraction, the location completely confuses me. Noise pollution will be an issue unless they get some containers in there. If they don't, there isn't really a lot of room for indoor parts as the rooms of the building are used as a green room for the roamers.
Ladyofthelake

If the MB Courtyard is the location for the new maze then it is going to be interesting to see how they manage it. There's quite a few things they need to account for:

1) The Skyride traveling overhead - although if this maze isn't opening until 5:30pm then this shouldn't be an issue as the Skyride closes at dusk.
2) The fact that access to one set of toilets on park will be blocked
3) Managing access from the Courtyard Tavern if that is to remain open during SF

I do think that all the above things can be overcome quite easily, and I think that if done right, there is potential for a decent length maze in the area. I am wondering if they may enclose the canopy area in the middle to create an indoor section as that could work quite well if done right.
Tom170499

Ladyofthelake wrote:The fact that access to one set of toilets on park will be blocked
These toilets can still be accessed from outside the courtyard. There is another entrance opposite Marauder's Mayhem.
Last edited by Tom170499 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROYJESS

The disabled toilets are better accessed from inside the court yard.  As a Male carer for my wife, it's going to be awkward pushing my wife in her wheelchair all the way though either of the male or female toilets
Tom170499

ROYJESS wrote:The disabled toilets are better accessed from inside the court yard.  As a Male carer for my wife, it's going to be awkward pushing my wife in her wheelchair all the way though either of the male or female toilets
I can understand that. However, I imagine AT will have something in place as an alternative. After all, even if the whole building closes entirely, this is only one toilet out of the rest on park.
ROYJESS

Tom170499 wrote:
ROYJESS wrote:The disabled toilets are better accessed from inside the court yard.  As a Male carer for my wife, it's going to be awkward pushing my wife in her wheelchair all the way though either of the male or female toilets
I can understand that. However, I imagine AT will have something in place as an alternative. After all, even if the whole building closes entirely, this is only one toilet out of the rest on park.
To be honest, there are only 2 disable toilets on park that are large enough to accommodate my wife's modified wheelchair.  The MB court yard are not one of them, but I'm also thinking of other disable people that need to have a carer maybe a partner of the opposite sex with them to assist them in the toilets.  Some medical conditions may require quick access to the nearest toilets and walking around the park to find an accessible toilet may not be an option.  I hope that Alton put an accessible changing room like the one's at Oblivion in the court yard when they do the refurbishment. 

Anyway, back on topic 
Dom wrote:Am I the only one getting vibes that this new maze may not be as good as we are hoping. I don't get the decision to use the Mutiny Bay Courtyard as the location for it. It sort of feels like a very last minute decision for its location.
I also share the same concerns as you Dom
Robert.W

I guess have it located in the courtyard is kind of logical seeing as this area will be closed for renovations anyway.

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Tickets can now be booked on the Resort's website for House of Monsters. They are £5, like last year, with slots available between 1pm and 8pm.
Capt.Barnacles

Just realised Robert makes a very valid point. With the renovations due to take place to convert the Courtyard into the new eatery, having the maze itself underneath the former eating area, it'll allow work to take place during the day (before the maze itself opens) for dismantling the old stage and former BBQ order/kitchen area. Whether that'll actually happen or not, can't tell, but it's possible.
Justin

With the maze going in the courtyard then it will most certainly be gutted out before construction and the likes of the pirate stage will go. Apart from the catering outlets needing access to the units via the courtyard via the shutter doors, the area is pretty much redundant. No work will take place on the new outlet until closed season now. The only thought I have now is if some indoor parts will be used?!