Alton Towers 2006! Taken from Dan ATA

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
jpecool

I think its starting quite early, as Firstly they have to strip the interior of the TT building, all the scenery and everything. Then there may be track changes and things to do. Then new themeing, and the building front to be done. Theres alot of work if you think about it. Hopefully its done well. :D

Fright nights on the 28th. Im ready to scream!!!!
smeg_head

Just a worrying thought, could this Toyland Tours retheme actually be very small scale and they are closing it now so it can be ready for August - peak time. I'm hoping the changes will be bigger but to be honest for £4.5 million you are not going to get much. If it's literally just a new set of animatronics and a lick of paint I reckon job could be done in two months....

This would also mean that the 'Chocolate Factory' would then be open in time to benefit from the hype of the Tim Burton movie.
Philman

Yeh, but £4.5 million is more then the total cost of Spinball Whizzer, so its got to be something big!
What a fad.
a.ndy

Even just a "Simple" retheme of everything in there would take more than just a couple of months. Think of all the masses of electronics for a start. I can see why, if it is been done for 2006, its been shut so early even in comparison to Rita / Ugland 2004. There is far more intricate work to be done with this project, removals and installation, rework of the building and synchronization. And thats just the tip of the iceberg :D Looking forward to it :D
themeparkdude

Well if the retheme is costing £4.5million, it is not going to be a paint job with a few new animatronics. Because each animatronic costs about what, £5,000-£10,000
So they are not oging to put in 450 new animatronics are they, so I reckon they will add a little drop at the end, because if you look at the plans, a splash pon, with part of the track coming out side. And one small drop isn't going to suddenly make it a thrill ride is it. Yes the height restriction will go up, but it will only be about 1metre, because Journey to Atlantis is 1.1metres.

Just a drop like
(Click watch Journey to Atlantis video, the drop I am talking about is 11 seconds in)Click http://www.journey-to-atlantis.com/mult ... index.htm#
Visit www.thorpeparkinsider.co.uk
We have a froum, great ride veveiws, and special features which you can not find anywhere else!
www.tussaudszone.com
We have STEALTH TESTING COVERAGE!

fontdude

Speaking of a splash pond, isn't there that part in Charlie and the chocolate factory when they travel on a boat ride really quick and it is disorientating? That would be brilliant as an ending to the ride, disorientation then a drop!
2005 trips: 8th April (Best visit... ever!)
1st June (Even better...Nemesis 7 times!)
themeparkdude

Exactly, it would fit really well with the ride. You know, just a little bit of coaster at the end with lights and music would be good.
We have a froum, great ride veveiws, and special features which you can not find anywhere else!
www.tussaudszone.com

Anonymous

Well this is what I've been made to believe...

The "Quantum Leap", otherwise known as Project Dolphin, is not to be a coaster of any type, and will be built for the 2006 season. It is said to be very expensive. (5D anyone? :wink:). The park are also going to over-haul their dark/family ride "Toyland Tours" into a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with a mildy big bugget. All the sign's are pointing to a whole Cred St. retheme/vamp.

So... is that right :?: That's definatley what TowerNerd feel on the 2006 situation... infact they seem to be very comitted to the development of Cred St. and the 2006 installation (shut up Lewis) :wink:

Lewis... :mrgreen:
Williscroft

I like the look of that drop in the video, 2 of the sea world parks have a journey to Atlantis ride :? Strange. Any way theres no way we would get a drop of that size in cred steet but like themeparkdude, said, if thats only 1.1 meteres and we would be getting a smaller drop it would still be a great family ride. I also have a feeling that TLT is not the only thing changing for 2006 Xx King of Speed xX, :D
smeg_head

[quote=""a.ndy""]Even just a "Simple" retheme of everything in there would take more than just a couple of months. Think of all the masses of electronics for a start. :D[/quote]

The construction design and R&D of all the animatronics would all be done off site. This could have been taking place for months without us knowing. As would the computer programming and control/synch etc. The installation would be litreally just that. The biggest part of the job would be the cable feeding - not difficult just takes time but with a big construction team would be cut down.

Installation of the animatronics would be a case of unpacking them, screwing em down and plugging in them in to the control system (which would, these days, be not much more than a system of high spec PCs. Like a high tech plug and play.

Add to that knocking a hole in the wall and xtedning the existing track through a splash pool I seriously think a re theme could be done quite quickly.

Obviously I hope this isn't the case and this IS a serious re-working which will take months, all I'm saying is that I do think it could be possible if needed.
Anonymous

I cant see it re-opening this season, no matter how quick its completed sureley alton want to advertise it next season as the new attraction.

I dont think we've seen the end of the jazz land plans and expect to see them popping up again soon as the rumours regarding cred street and revamping TT started when they did and slowly major elements of the plans seem to be more and more credible.

I love speculation.
a.ndy

[quote=""oldgitBEN""] I cant see it re-opening this season, no matter how quick its completed sureley alton want to advertise it next season as the new attraction.
[/quote]

very much agree with that oldgitBEN.
Even with all of what you talk of in your post smeg_head, i very much agree with all you have to say, except even just that little bit, i doubt would take that little time.
This project will of been in the making for a long time now already; while we were all glued to Rita (and before) :wink: lol
haydn!

Also, if im right don't the boats on Toyland tours get dragged along by cables under the water? If so, this will have to change if they plan on...

1. changing the direction in which the boats complete the circuit

2. want to add a drop.

As they would need to make the water flow more, with enough force to carry the boats, this can be done with simple pumps, underwater fans, etc to create a current - simple design but would be lengthy process to install, they would also need to completly new boats, ones that were capable of climbing a lift hill, and then dropping down the other side, creating a splash...and these boats would need restraints - these would probably be minimal like lap bars but would be required by law.

Animatronics, scenary would all be built off site yes, but this probably hasnt begun yet, as wasnt it the case that Tussuards had only just signed a contract to use the story? Why spend money on something you dont deffinatly know you can use?
a.ndy

[quote=""hj1984""]Also, if im right don't the boats on Toyland tours get dragged along by cables under the water?[/quote]

no, they free flow by the water flow which is regulated by pumps

but yes, the boats will need modifying. Which they probably have been already on new boats, including an appropriate retheme :D
phil2k4

and these boats would need restraints - these would probably be minimal like lap bars but would be required by law.
not neccesarily. 'rollercoaster' in blackpool doesnt have any restraints and they can keep that open. if the drop is on a small scale restraints would be surplus to requirements. if the ride is getting completely rethemed though, I would imagine they would get new boats, especially with the budget quoted. £4.5mil is a lot for a dark ride.
Satch

[quote=""a.ndy""]Even just a "Simple" retheme of everything in there would take more than just a couple of months. Think of all the masses of electronics for a start. I can see why, if it is been done for 2006, its been shut so early even in comparison to Rita / Ugland 2004. There is far more intricate work to be done with this project, removals and installation, rework of the building and synchronization. And thats just the tip of the iceberg :D Looking forward to it :D[/quote]

Well, they managed to make-over Around the World in 80 Days into TLT over the closed season, so if this is just a simple change in animatronics and re-theme, then they wouldnt close it 5 months before closed season, would they?

King of Speed - Project Dolphin has been said on numerous times to be a development for AFTER 2006
bohoboy

Actually 80DATW closed mid season 93
themeparkdude

by 1.1 metres I ment the persons height restriction not the height of the drop.
www.tussaudszone.com

Bailey

well i hope i will get my last ride ever on tuesday! will have to get a video for TowersNerd aswell! :(
jpecool

I was thinking more of a drop like this

Los Fiordos Vikingos

This is the drop on an Intamin Shoot the chutes ride at Parque de Atracciones Madrid called Los Fiordos Vikingos. Its not too big, and creates a very good splash. maybe a too good splash for our english weather. :lol: the splash :D

This is still a very good family ride. Even Journey to Atlantis is a family ride likethemeparkdude said. Ive ridden the one in Florida and even though its a big drop, its not to scary for little kids, and people who dont like coasters. Its only the 2nd drop on that ride that would be a problem as it turns into a coaster.

I think this retheme will be for 2006, and i hope they add a drop, but it may not happen. :(

Fright nights on the 28th. Im ready to scream!!!!