Alton Towers 2006! Taken from Dan ATA

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Jayne

Update on ATA - Toyland Tours Closes Next Wednesday. http://www.towersalmanac.com/long_news.php?id=55
a.ndy

good job got my last ride yesterday then :wink:

thought it would be down sooner rather than later
R.I.P TT :D
Coasternut

Is this early closing, a whole 3 and a half months earlier than Rita last year, an indication of the scale of the project? Surely it must be something more than just the retheme of TT, so maybe the track extension and a 5D cinema in the area is on the cards!
Adam

about the 5D cinema, it would make sense to turn the current tweenies theater into this, so if cred street also closes soon we will know somehing big is hapening! :)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
cactuselves

OK, I know people are absolutely sick of them, but can I remind people of these plans;

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/pictures/2005/jlplan.jpg

Clearly showing;

A TT Refurbishment
A 5D cinema
A large "Enclosed Transit System" with very long queue lines, indicating a major attraction ( A Quantum Leap some may say :wink: )

What with new investors, these plans couldnt possibly have been re-visited. Could they?
Anonymous

i agree the quantum leap could involve the jazz land plans in some way as on the plans there is a rather large area which indicate retail and also an expo of somekind, which would be a big jump for a british park!
and the retail that could be installed could be simillar to downtown at disney :o
a.ndy

the retail is referring to the shops that are already there (i.e. cafes, sweet shop, gift shops etc.) :roll:

"could be similar to downtown disney"
Putting such a development within the park and the total opposite end to the hotels would make no sense what so ever. Its just the re development and retheme of the area. And if you do want to look at the 'jazz land' plans, then notice the "entrance arch" near the skyride station too (also, the old jazz land plans still show the Cadbury shop)
:D
Anonymous

Well then, 7 days ago we discovered this thing was being built and this comes out of the blue, well I've missed my chance to ride it, R.I.P Toyland Tours (And yet another ride, Replaced)
jpecool

Man this sound good. That means for definate something is happening. And this early means it could be something big/special. :D Maybe we will see part of them jazzland plans put into place. Or something based around them.

Fright nights on the 28th. Im ready to scream!!!!
themeparkdude

Well this year I think we might just see the toyland tours retheme along with a ride in Blackhole, then next year we will see the rest of Cred street rethemed. I could be wrong though
Visit www.thorpeparkinsider.co.uk
We have a froum, great ride veveiws, and special features which you can not find anywhere else!
www.tussaudszone.com
We have STEALTH TESTING COVERAGE!

Williscroft

:( I havent been on it since the last day of the season last year. Although my mum loves the ride so this might just mean a trip to the Towers in the next few days :D It must be a big project as its being started very early in to the season so i would say its going to be a bit more than just your normal re theme. Im realy excited about it but at the same time sad to see it go :(
fontdude

You say that Toyland closes on the 1st, does this mean that it closes on that day, or the day before, because i am going on the 1st!
2005 trips: 8th April (Best visit... ever!)
1st June (Even better...Nemesis 7 times!)
Williscroft

I think i read some were that the 31st may is the last day of operation as its closed from the 1st june but i could be wrong.
Ant

It better be open on tuesday I want my last ride and to take loads a pics:( Very sad to see it go so soon. Ive been rideing it since I was little since it opend in 1994 I have alot of memories of it. Rip :-(
Coasternut

I had my last ride on TT today and I must say I am going to miss it! It was a pity to see it in such a delapidated state, so many things not working and looking tatty. It really is due this refurbishment.
Anonymous

[quote=""cactuselves""]OK, I know people are absolutely sick of them, but can I remind people of these plans;

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/pictures/2005/jlplan.jpg

Clearly showing;

A TT Refurbishment
A 5D cinema
A large "Enclosed Transit System" with very long queue lines, indicating a major attraction ( A Quantum Leap some may say :wink: )

What with new investors, these plans couldnt possibly have been re-visited. Could they?[/quote]

Sorry to be cryptic but here goes....

If someone posts something that is confirmed and yet alton hasnt confirmed it, isnt it strange how quick "confirmed" things happen? Maybe we have showed intrest in this Project and they have taken our thoughts on the subject up?. Im sure the team at alton will do something, dont be so blue. Maybe John Wardley's dream maybe comming to alton next year afterall. Maybe the jazzland plans have just been revised of recent weeks. Tweenies end this season when the contract runs out, perfect time for a re-theme. Would make a change from Merrie England to behind the towers. Land of make belive could turn into a new beginning? Quantum leap more about advances rather than now..... or could it be more movement? 1 year on, Glam plans, Funky ideas. Its a mixture of ideas fused together about talking about it. What happens next? We may decide and talk about it but we are more than listened to.
haydn!

Although this is all very exciting, but Toyland tours closing this soon surely suggests more than ya average re-theme.

I think taking into account Alton Towers now have 10 months to work on the attraction (considering they dont leave it SBNO for five months) plus a budget of £4.5million.

I think its safe to say, this is going to be one hell of a family ride!
Anonymous

£4.5mill isn't the official cost. It couldn't be down to as low as £2.5mill, just £500,000 more than what Toyland Tours ("Around the World..." retheme) originally cost.

I think we may see some track change's, maybe making the water course wider to look like a lake... of chocolate :mrgreen: The outside extenstion with a small drop would be good aswell, but I'm sure it won't be very big as it is a family/kiddie attraction.

I really hope we see some special effects. I don't know what they'd be, but if the retheme only involves moving Umpa Lumpa it'll be a huge let down personally. We'll just see... infact, we may have more info pretty soon :!: No that wasn't a hint, just with the soon closing I'd expect plan's to surface.

Lewis
haydn!

Ride ideas....

Starting point is boarding the yacht and sailing down the chocolate river...where the banks are filled with amazing looking plants, animals, etc all made from candy...then with the pipes pumping chocolate into the river, and animatronic ompa lumpas working away in the backgroud.

Then we go through a long dark spinning tunnel where strange/weird lighting effects confuse the mind, with added wind effects giving the impression the boat is now travelling at great speed...

Exiting the tunnel we arrive in the room where the geese are laying golden eggs, with some comical animatronics showing "that girl" get sucked into the pipe that the eggs go down...

Then the boat approaches another tunnel, this time as you approach a large tv camera shoots a lazer beam which engulfs the boat, and then with more light/sound effects the boat emerges the tunnel into an area where everything is giant...giving the impression you've just been shrunk (like Mike TV)

You could also pass through a circular room, with a ceiling really high above...a continous stream of bubbles floating higher and higher could fill the room, and bottles of "fizzy pop" line shelves around the edge.

I can't think of any more scenes from the film that could be effectively recreated... but the final drop (if we get one) could be a splash down into a small pool within another candy garden, this time outside obviously...with more animatronic ompa lumpas etc
stokywolf

what you said there hj1984 , that seems a very plan of what the ride will be doing. But Knowing what the ride is centred around will make it quite easy to guess what goes in there.
The closing day was set for 31st of may 1st but now has been skipped a day forward. And its quite obvious why they are starting Very Early, Just look at the size of things inside Toyland tours right now. Giant cakes, train set and some out of control boobs. Just got me thinking. What wil lhappen to the booble wobbling hippo? its classic
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz