The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Blaze

It's gone. :shock:

That's going to take some getting used to, but let's not get too sad, this time next year we'll hopefully have forgotten a tent ever existed there at all. :)
MatthewR1990

Space looks quite small still. It just doesn't look big enough for this ride. It's going to fit right? Lmao
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
roary01

Matthewr1990 wrote: Space looks quite small still. It just doesn't look big enough for this ride. It's going to fit right? Lmao
Looking at just the base of the Black Hole tent, yes it does look small, however when you look at the plans for SW7 you see the ride goes right up to where the toilets are, and also goes into the ground, so it may be small at the moment, however when the space for SW7 is created you will see it will fit in to the area fine...
BigAl

There's definitely space for it. It's just that there's not much space for anything around or between it because they've squished a lot of ride into a small footprint.
MatthewR1990

I suppose the amount they've compacted the ride will only increase how good it will actually be. It's almost daring in a way, when you ride it your going to think your going to knock or bump into everything lol
roary01

Matthewr1990 wrote: I suppose the amount they've compacted the ride will only increase how good it will actually be. It's almost daring in a way, when you ride it your going to think your going to knock or bump into everything lol
Its a bit like thats the "in" thing at the moment to have close encounters with theming/other parts of a ride, we got it with Krake and its new theming, and then Swarm with the Plane wing/Station, Now we have SW7...
MatthewR1990

roary01 wrote:
Matthewr1990 wrote: I suppose the amount they've compacted the ride will only increase how good it will actually be. It's almost daring in a way, when you ride it your going to think your going to knock or bump into everything lol
Its a bit like thats the "in" thing at the moment to have close encounters with theming/other parts of a ride, we got it with Krake and its new theming, and then Swarm with the Plane wing/Station, Now we have SW7...
Well if it works as a thrill for your senses then it can't do any harm can it? I think this will be it for X-sector for quite some time. There's no room for anything else there now is there? Saying that I don't think it needs anything else, SW7 will finish it off nicely,
roary01

Matthewr1990 wrote:
roary01 wrote:
Well if it works as a thrill for your senses then it can't do any harm can it? I think this will be it for X-sector for quite some time. There's no room for anything else there now is there? Saying that I don't think it needs anything else, SW7 will finish it off nicely,
Too true, i think its time Towers got a good lengthy coaster, and it will give X-sector the treatment its been needing since black hole closed. And only if and of the flats are removed but once SW7 arrives there are other areas that need focus as X-sector will be complete. Once SW7 is built X-sector will also be a lot more open, feel more spacious i feel as people have said it will give more space under the ride. I can't wait for the new Look X-sector!
Poison Tom 96

roary01 wrote:
It's been in for a while: Nemmy and the cliffs, to an extent Blivvy and the hole
MatthewR1990

Well it's quite obvious that the feeling of "close encounters" with other objects/walls/track will always give you a quick jolt of fear. But (even thought it doesn't matter here because we have Air,) you can have too many close encounters and if you do put too much in a small space it's starts to be uncomfortable. But like I said we have a nice open free ride with air and even Rita and thirteen are quite open and spacious so its good to have the mixture.
lozzyhickers

I know a couple have been posted already, but I thought i'd add my pics of the site from yesterday. If they end up working today like they were yesterday, it'll be gone...

]http://www.flickr.com/photos/lozzyhickers/7148008819/in/photostream/]
]http://www.flickr.com/photos/lozzyhickers/7001922528/in/photostream/]

Tried to embed but doesn't like facebook of Flickr.
Last edited by lozzyhickers on Sun May 06, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanB

High res pictures of the SW7 site

It was also confirmed this weekend that there will be a webcam placed on top of the Fried Chicken Co. building that will take pictures of the construction so a time lapse video can be created. They are unsure if there will be a live internet feed.
Last edited by DanB on Sun May 06, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewR1990

Ahh a good old fashioned time lapse would be awesome. A live feed is good too. It would only need a refresh rate of 1 frame a minute or something like that to save bandwidth
-Prometheus-

Yup, even every 5 minutes for a frame would be great.  Great news about the timelapse, brilliant pics too.  :)
DanB

The impression I got was they can technically have a live feed but they want to make sure it is the right thing to do and that it fits in with their overall marketing plan. It hasn't been ruled out yet!
BigHairJoe

Hello Back with another one of my videos so here you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4UaBT4MdnU&feature=g-all-u
taggy

Would like to see the old black hole entrance as the new annual pass entrance
mrbrightside

taggy wrote: Would like to see the old black hole entrance as the new annual pass entrance
How would that make any sense?
ImageImage
Voke

Great news about the time lapse. It would definitely bring up the anticipation for the coasters opening.

I hope it'll be live, but wont that be a little bit too hard to maintain? I'm not sure of the technical details though.
Coaster_Dude

Voke wrote: Great news about the time lapse. It would definitely bring up the anticipation for the coasters opening.

I hope it'll be live, but wont that be a little bit too hard to maintain? I'm not sure of the technical details though.
The impression I got from The Swarm's time lapse was that the images were being sent accross the internet and stored somewhere anyway, which would be the technically difficult part, then making some way of viewing those images that are already stored on a server would be fairly simple. It depends what you mean by 'live', The Swarm time lapse took a new photo every hour I think, so I don't think you should expect anything more frequent than that, if anything.