The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
5HEPP

danny.g97 wrote: I got one from them today regarding our trip on Thursday and Friday 30th and 31st. They basically said the smiler may not be open over your visit so may want to re book free of charge to be sure you can ride it another time. However they are really starting to pi*$ me off now as they are still advertising that it will definitely be open in may! We are going on the last two days of may so technically it should defiantly be open. I know altos dates aren't much to go by as we now know but if their so sure it won't be open by may why are they still advertising it!!!! It's starting to really frustrate me. Really apologise mods but needed to explain
I had the same update and got 4 free tickets.  Just waiting for the big news on opening now!
Fish777

Just watched advert, and noticed the trommel like bit. Do you think there will be one?
tallicay2k

TheOutpatient wrote:
Evostance wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me if someone tried to do a spider pig through the cage to queue jump...
Oh you mean a "hamster" - clinging on to the mesh?
Yes that would be amusing if nothing else.

The pics look really nice today. Marmiliser screens must be nearly 5 foot, they are almost as tall as the workmen! which is about twice the height I thought they were up until now.
I get the feeling someone hasent seen The Simpson movie  ;)
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
SuperWill

If AT don't open The Smiler by this Friday then I will be very angry! But then again I do think it will be open by Friday! (Hopefully) So I'm guessing it will be open by Friday! (Hopefully) :)

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
XXBENNXX

5HEPP wrote:
danny.g97 wrote: I got one from them today regarding our trip on Thursday and Friday 30th and 31st. They basically said the smiler may not be open over your visit so may want to re book free of charge to be sure you can ride it another time. However they are really starting to pi*$ me off now as they are still advertising that it will definitely be open in may! We are going on the last two days of may so technically it should defiantly be open. I know altos dates aren't much to go by as we now know but if their so sure it won't be open by may why are they still advertising it!!!! It's starting to really frustrate me. Really apologise mods but needed to explain
I had the same update and got 4 free tickets.  Just waiting for the big news on opening now!
i had an email from them today regarding my 5 - 7 june booking, no mention of the smiler being closed whatsoever, it was final confirmation and pre arrival details and at the bottom of sed e-mail, a rather large "join us" the smiler opens may 2013 Banner .... do with this info what you will
RobStandley

Can we have a quick summary of what we know up to this point about why The Smiler isn't yet open, obviously without a full statement of fine details from AT this may or may not be speculation but surely some of the boffins on here can give a bit more concise info about whats happened and what's left to do in order for it to open....
lewis97
Admin
Admin

RobStandley wrote: Can we have a quick summary of what we know up to this point about why The Smiler isn't yet open, obviously without a full statement of fine details from AT this may or may not be speculation but surely some of the boffins on here can give a bit more concise info about whats happened and what's left to do in order for it to open....
TT's article

As far as it appears there really isn't anything left to do...

They may be having to make adjustments on the train, I think people suggested there's a small area where fencing still needs to go in, and there could be finishing touches to complete inside.
Danny

I would have loved to have been able to produce a photo report for you all, but there simply wasn't anything happening. All I saw throughout the day was a team of builders on the transfer track, scratching their heads whilst examining a train.
Snorlix

Another photo from today, of 'that' section of track:

No painting or work done on that yet, maybe they'll leave it, or wait for good weather or until more ride testing has been done. Looks like it's been in use for months (and not days like most of the rest of the track), my vote would be give it a coat of paint for opening!
wardiespritz

judging by what some people having visited the towers this week are saying, I think they are just making the finishing touches to the ride.
Thing is when sub-terra opened it wasn't completed and people complained about the half job they had done, and why hadn't they just waited and opened it when it was complete.
Maybe with Smiler they are finishing it off properly. Theres going to be teething problems. Maybe they aren't as bad as first thought and maybe the alterations to the trains has been completed and they are testing through the night for obvious reasons.

Wishful thinking will get us far!!! (I arrive at towers a week today)
You must escape........go...go..go
TheOutpatient

Therideman11 wrote: Just watched advert, and noticed the trommel like bit. Do you think there will be one?
We've not seen anything on the videos but theres a possibilty I guess (just a possibility), that something could be added- based on what they did with Sub Terra. Any effects added must take into account the glass floor which looks over the indoor barrel roll - so it can't get in the way of that.

Actually this is a good question - we know adverts exagerate things but the spiralling lights in the tunnel look like some kind of spiral shaped LED fixture which of course, really harks to the whole spiral theme in the logo's etc. Was that on the cards? IS that on the cards? -Would love to think so.
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Tue May 28, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
tallicay2k

Snorlix wrote: Another photo from today, of 'that' section of track:

No painting or work done on that yet, maybe they'll leave it, or wait for good weather or until more ride testing has been done. Looks like it's been in use for months (and not days like most of the rest of the track), my vote would be give it a coat of paint for opening!
God that track looks an angry, evil beast of twisted metal...makes me feel oooooooo!! in a heavy metal rage  :twisted:
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
richard.s

Especially with oblivion spitting mist out of it's tunnel in the background. Awesome section of theme park is that!
rossdeadmanz

I'm assuming I'm not alone when I say find myself frantically refreshing the forum in the hope of seeing good news about The Smiler finally opening!

My fingers & toes are crossed that it's open before my visit June 16th
RollercoasterGEEK100

Im going in 2 weeks and hopefully its open then!

Credit to NemesisRider
Jack

Snorlix wrote: Image
Looking at it from that angle, you can't tell that there are bad scrape marks, I just think, leave it, scrape marks will happen sooner or later, and if they occur early, then there is no point painting it as it will just end up happening again in the future, it's just something that can't be helped :moj
bravo12121

Im going 25th June but still sticking with my initial opening date,spoof SMILE  53173 5/31/13  fri 31st may
Ryster

I've followed construction ever since I saw the plans right here on TT and from when the black hole tent was removed (whichever came first, I forget) so to say I'm exciting to ride this is an understatement.  I'm going on Monday June 10th for my birthday... I very much hope it's open by then.
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

Please say the lines aren't staying white? In no place is that the smiler colour, well ok part of the logo I guess, I feeling embarrassed now ;) but they are ugly yellow please or even better... None! :D
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
arsenalfan-1

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote: Please say the lines aren't staying white? In no place is that the smiler colour, well ok part of the logo I guess, I feeling embarrassed now ;) but they are ugly yellow please or even better... None! :D
I think they look good but yellow would look excellent! :moj
Thanks Lewis97