New for 2008: Mutiny Bay

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Gax

[quote=""Liam""][quote=""LiamSACF""]Nah, keeping Thrillseekers and Family markets apart would probably be better for the Theme Park in my opinion. Areas would be totally congested with both sets of People, thats why AT have Themed Areas, to provide an experience and entertainment across to all ages. Thats just me though! [/quote]
Nah, it would spread out "both sets of people" if such meaningless sets exist. Families are thrillseekers, thrillseekers are in families.
Forbidden Valley is one of the busiest areas of the park. Mixing rides would spread out crowds more, and reduce queues as it means people have to walk further to go to rides they want.[/quote]

I agree. It seems to me the term 'Thrill seeker' is mis-used, as if they are some sort of rare breed. Rides like Nemesis, Rita, Oblivion etc. are clearly the most popular attractions at the park, not just something that this 'small' number of 'Thrill Seekers' enjoy. Adults in families enjoy more intense rides, and in most cases when a child is tall enough, they will prefer the more intense rides as well. A wide variety of rides should be kept in each area, as Liam said spreading guests out, instead of having to go to a certain area for a certain thing..
Liam

[quote=""LiamSAFC""]You have a point, but then wouldn't Marketing be all over the place though?[/quote]
Why do you keep mention marketing? :?
You can list all thrill rides on the same section of a map for example - doesn't mean they have to be in the same section of the park.
If you're on about adverts, they haven't pointed out which areas are for thrillseekers and which aren't before. :? In fact you would want any advert to show that there is something for everyone, rather than narrow the audience to a specific group.
hex_appeal

well i think it depends on how your area is initially themed, for example a family attraction would not fit into firbidden valley, like-wise, you're not going to see a launched coaster in cred street, but thats why you then have universally themed areas such as ugland, they have a very diverse mix of attractions which cater for all guests, before they place a ride anywhere on the park they have to look at how it will incorporate into the surrounding area and wether the ride will take away the atmosphere of the other attractions, or give it a much needed boost, i believe mutiny bay will be a mix of everything eventually, they may remove the log flume and replace it with something for thrill seekers, who knows?
Liam

[quote=""hex_appeal""]a family attraction would not fit into firbidden valley,[/quote]
Why not?! :?

And the reason a launched coaster wouldn't fit in with Cred Street is that the previous Talbot Street theme which was appropriate for all was converted into a giant colouring book only suiatble for very young kids. I'm sure I'll be able to come up with a theme that would make a rocket coaster fit into a Georgian/Tudor etc. street-scape if it were possible at Alton Towers. Perhaps run-away traditional black taxis? A raging fire through the streets of a town/city? Give me some time to think. :lol:
Squiggles

There's now a shiny new Mutiny Bay page on TT, complete with initial marketing and stuff. Keep tuned, as there is more to come over the next few weeks including a Mutiny Bay construction gallery.
Edwardo..... move me!
Liam

:lol: The Flume stands out like a saw thumb in that list.
Surely something is happening to it, right?
AstroDan

I don't know. They may do a token gesture...? I hope so, anyway. Even an acknowledgement!
haydn!

Maybe... they'll give it a slight overhaul in terms of new logo/name - something in keeping with the rides theme, but then incorporating the areas overall theme?

What that could be though... I don't know.
Sir John Talbot

They should either keep it as it is, or re-theme is completely. A half-hearted 'Pirate-ising' will do more bad than good I feel. Will just give it a sense of tackiness.

I've heard the main 'Mutiny Bay' area will have clear boundaries as to where it begins and ends, and will therefore give the 'Flume' it's own little area. That would be a temporary fix that wouldn't be too damaging on the immersion of Mutiny Bay I feel.
LiamSAFC

[quote=""Liam""][quote=""LiamSAFC""]You have a point, but then wouldn't Marketing be all over the place though?[/quote]
You can list all thrill rides on the same section of a map for example - doesn't mean they have to be in the same section of the park.
If you're on about adverts, they haven't pointed out which areas are for thrillseekers and which aren't before. :? In fact you would want any advert to show that there is something for everyone, rather than narrow the audience to a specific group.[/quote]

Yes. I meant the adverts - but take Nemesis and Oblivion for example however, they present themselves to a specific audience. Something of that nature going towards families would mess it up, thats why I think both have to be separated, although I see your point where you say Thrillseekers - Families (vice versa). Lets just agree to disagree, I was basically trying to say that the Towers has to distinguish boundaries between Family Areas and Thrill Areas.

Not to Worry though, I forgot what actually got us here :? lol
haydn!

[quote=""LiamSAFC""][quote=""Liam""][quote=""LiamSAFC""]You have a point, but then wouldn't Marketing be all over the place though?[/quote]
If you're on about adverts, they haven't pointed out which areas are for thrillseekers and which aren't before. :? In fact you would want any advert to show that there is something for everyone, rather than narrow the audience to a specific group.[/quote]

Yes. I meant the adverts - but take Nemesis and Oblivion for example however, they present themselves to a specific audience. Something of that nature going towards families would mess it up, thats why I think both have to be separated, although I see your point where you say Thrillseekers - Families (vice versa). Lets just agree to disagree, I was basically trying to say that the Towers has to distinguish boundaries between Family Areas and Thrill Areas.

[/quote]

But again still, the advertising for Nemesis and Oblivion was audience specific. But then, the advertising advertised Nemesis, not Forbidden Valley and Oblivion, not X Sector. As long as the actual ride met expectations, it does the trick. People are generally attracted and pulled in by specific rides not themed areas of the park.

I cannot see any justifiable reason why a ride, aimed at an alternative audience cannot share the same park area.
LiamSAFC

[quote=""haydnjames""][quote=""LiamSAFC""][quote=""Liam""][quote=""LiamSAFC""]You have a point, but then wouldn't Marketing be all over the place though?[/quote]

[/quote]

But again still, the advertising for Nemesis and Oblivion was audience specific. But then, the advertising advertised Nemesis, not Forbidden Valley and Oblivion, not X Sector. As long as the actual ride met expectations, it does the trick. People are generally attracted and pulled in by specific rides not themed areas of the park.

I cannot see any justifiable reason why a ride, aimed at an alternative audience cannot share the same park area.[/quote]

I just thought that maybe Areas would get a bit cramped to be honest, thats why I didn't think Blade would fit in with a Family Area, although now I actually think about it, it probably could become a Family ride, if its targeted at the Family audience! Blade however should still go, maybe replace where the Flume sits when its time to wave goodbye to 'the old boy'. Hopefully a Dark Themed Pirate Ride could go there though although personally as said before, don't want The Flume to go!

Soooo much fun!
spark

Perhaps they will stick patches over the ducks eyes to make them look piratey :lol:
Gax

If the Flume is a clear and obvious part of Mutiny Bay, it would be a real shame if they didn't do something to it. People have said they may leave it as it is and keep it away from the new land itself, but it is right inside Mutiny Bay, I don't personally see how it could be kept seperate..

Sebastian

Not really, it could easily not be included. People are just worrying too much about small things! :shock:

Does anyone know where the Heave Ho will go, possibly cut out a section of trees by the Flume?
AstroDan

Heave Ho will be going where the HB game "Jacobs Ladder" is at present, vaguely underneath the Skyride.

As for Flume, I don't think this will make or break the area, I just hope the ride is sympathetically managed within Mutiny Bay - i.e. the music isn't too loud at the entrance, perhaps tone down the garish colours that are visible from the main walkway down by Mexican Cantina etc.
Moley

[quote=""Sebastian""]Not really, it could easily not be included. People are just worrying too much about small things! :shock:

Does anyone know where the Heave Ho will go, possibly cut out a section of trees by the Flume?[/quote]

Don't trigger the "is the Flume in Merrie England" deabte again! :lol:

So in effect, 2 spinning rides in one area? Suppose if we theme the motion sickness to become "the effects of scurvy" it might work.
LiamSAFC

[quote=""Moley 89""] So in effect, 2 spinning rides in one area? Suppose if we theme the motion sickness to become "the effects of scurvy" it might work.[/quote]

I'd love that to be incoporated into the rides! The scury theme of the old sailing day, could really work with spinning rides. It cdould use little interesting facts about this all over Merrie England or something.

Just a Possibility...
Ash

Mexican Cantina, will it be staying as this or changing to something else?
Big Dave

Depends on the contract they have with who ever it is lol. I think a retheme of the place might work. Wooden decking and old sails etc might disguise the fact its a mexican lol