Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Gashead

Noticed today that around stealth, instead of chippings Thorpe have used sea shells... I think they are going to regreat this as waiting for stealth to open, the pea brained goons who dress in init gear decided to kick some on the path and stamp on them and create a mess "holla woot sup look at me smashing shells im solid holla ya" i heard one of them say(not really but you get my drift)

Pissed me off as around the park where they were people had obviously done it everywhere and its created a mess already :cry:
davidredge

How do you collect these tickets? Whats the procedure with lastminute.com
Lon

BBC WEBSITE

Broken ride traps thrill-seekers

The Slammer ride opened in 2005 and rotates 360 degrees
More than 40 people had to be rescued after they were trapped for 55 minutes on a ride at Surrey's Thorpe Park.
The Slammer - a "rotary thrill ride" - ground to a halt on Saturday afternoon after developing a technical problem.

The ride operators said an emergency "fail-safe" system immediately kicked in and the ride was righted.

Safety checks are being carried out and the ride will remain closed until the cause of the malfunction is detected, a spokeswoman said.

She said the ride had been checked before the park opened on Saturday morning.

"Like all the rides and attractions at the park this ride undergoes a comprehensive series of pre-opening checks every morning by our experienced engineering team," she said.

Emergency services were called but park staff were able to free the riders.

The whole area around Slammer from Collossus to the Banana Boat ride was closed to the public at the time of the incident. I spoke to a member of staff and he said there was a bang and the ride stopped in the Vertical position. They eventually managed to bring it to the horizontal position.
Last edited by Lon on Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Pop Rocket

/ Is there a link to the BBC site with this story on dan. :?:
Gashead

As i remember, It was having problems in the morning, as when i came out the pisser about 10.30 there was a metel fence by the bog with a sign on it saying something like slammers having technicle problems and wont be open till later or something along those lines.
Anonymous

That wretched ride's more trouble than it's worth. It's only been working during one of my last five visits - makes Spinball seem like a textbook example of reliability!

I thought that Slammer had been reprogrammed (after last year's headline-making upside down breakdown) so as to return to the horizontal in the event of a power failure or breakdown? Rush was back on 'ye olde one arme operatione' today too.

Bloomin' S&S.
HighExtreme

Usually its buy the ticket through lastminute.com, print a voucher code you get on confirmation of payement and take it along to the advance ticket collection point at the park
AstroDan

Bleurgh, Slammer!
Phil

It does seem a very unreliable ride! Perhaps a not-so-wise decision installing it?
smeg_head

We should have a sweepstake on how much longer this ride'll last. That's two headline grabbing failures in two seasons add to that it's general unreliable performance. I'm guessing one more 'strike' and it's outta here!
AstroDan

What a load of bilge. Slammer seems to be terribly unreliable. I don't enjoy either (but thats another matter). Slammer to rise above and stay past say 2007? Lol!
Anonymous

I don't personally like the ride. Not enjoyable.

I also heard that a girl's shoulder restraints unlocked halfway during the ride? She was screaming in terror and having a panic attack, and the ride ops didn't notice until some enthusiasts from Coasterforce alerted them?

This is not good. Should not be allowed to happen, period.
themeparkfreak

well, that put me off going on Slammer. Somebodys restraint opened? Thats terrible.
Anonymous

She was kept in the by lap restraint, but from what I heard the restraints that come down onto your shoulders unlocked. Which must have been very scary.
bond231

I don't understand that ride. There is no thrill in it. Its so slow you feel all the blood go to your head and is incedibly uncomfortable.

All the ride has done so far is made thorpe look like an extremly unsafe park!
Williscroft

Bloody hell, and i was looking forward to going on Slammer this year as i thought it looked ace :( ahhh well ill still have a ride on it and if i dont return at least i was doing something i enjoyed :) The price thats paid for these rides is a hell of alot for the reliability, id get me money back personaly :P
John

This topic has raised an interesting question: which is worse, slammer or sumission?

Two relatively new flats in tussauds parks that are slow, uncomfortable, have terrible restraints and are unreliable.
ShadowTD

Submission, definitely. Although I'm one of Subbys few fans there's no way anyone could say it's better than Slammer.

I found slammer to be pretty good actually! Not 'the ultimate free fall experience' as it was billed, but pretty good all the same. I thought Rush was better, though.
AstroDan

Slammer's a load of bilge - and these safety problems are really horrendous. S&S need to get their rides sorted. Has Submission ever had these problems?

Imagine if it was YOU held for 55 minutes on Slammer?