Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
PsychOXRat

Yeah, SSE just posted about the outages. 3 hours until everything gets back to normal. It's definitely lucky the mazes have a different power supply
MakoMania

I visited Thorpe Park this evening for the first time in over three years and generally I was very impressed.

Ride operations were pretty decent, all coasters on full capacity with reasonable diapatch times leading to queues of under 20 minutes for most. Stealth in particular was getting trains out really fast, great to see!

SAW-the Ride failed to open all evening, hopefully it will be open when we visit again tomorrow.

In terms of Fright Nights, we did 4 mazes and intend to do the rest tomorrow.

Vulcan Peak: What can I say, absolutely dire. Zero scares whatsoever.

SAW Alive: Great as usual, solid maze.

Do or Die: Slightly dissapointed, but was still decent. Lacked much of an atmosphere.

Platform 15: Really impressed with this one, some unexpected scares and for sure it has to be done after dark!

I also did The Walking Dead: the Ride for the first time. Whilst I think they have done a great job with the theme, it is yet another example of Merlin putting a dark & scary theme on a tame family friendly ride. (See Wicker Man, Th13teen etc)

The park seemed much better staffed than Alton Towers and flat rides really do make a difference! They help spread the queues much better at Thorpe Park.

Didn't manage to do DBGT, will do it tomorrow for the first time.

Overall I had a great time, much better than any Alton Towers visit this season. Really shows how much AT has gone downhill this year.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Swarm Chris

For me, Thorpe's overall operations has improved greatly this year. The complaints I've seen online still happen when they seem to occasionally mess up the basics, but overall there seem to be a lot less than last year.

Hope DBGT works out for you tomorrow. It has a tendency of just not working or the queue not moving.
MakoMania

Having a great day at Thorpe so far, went to The Swarm: closed, then went to SAW: closed, tried Colossus: 90 minutes, currently queueing for Ghost Train, was supposed to open ridiculously late at 12:00 anyway and it is now "delayed".

I take back everything positive I said yesterday :P
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Htjc_

Things tend to turn like that at Thorpe, hope it's getting better now though!
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
Stripes91

We are at Thorpe Park for Fright Nights this weekend.

Yesterday we missed Big Top Showtime every time we went to the Dome - so can someone help us out to catch it today? When does it run (a bit more specific that ‘after 3pm’)? Is it hourly? What’s the best way to ensure we catch the show?
Ismail

Stripes91 wrote:We are at Thorpe Park for Fright Nights this weekend.

Yesterday we missed Big Top Showtime every time we went to the Dome - so can someone help us out to catch it today? When does it run (a bit more specific that ‘after 3pm’)? Is it hourly? What’s the best way to ensure we catch the show?
It runs hourly after 3pm, so I would get to the dome just before the hour mark for good viewing.
maratagon

I'm quite sad I never went on Slammer :( oh well, at least now I go on every ride when I can so if it shuts I won't have the same thing happen!
Dan says hi

It looks like Rush didn’t make it to the end of the season for the 2nd year in a row. Hopefully this doesn’t affect it in any way because it’s been relatively reliable this season!
H8223R

Hmmm, could we have had our first tease for 2020?
Thorpe's 2018 end of season video surfaced on Twitter a couple of days ago and one shot in particular caught my eye:
Towards the end of the video (1:00 exactly) a random shot of a field is placed. Why place this in a video celebrating the 'best season yet' when there are many other things you could include from this packed year? Some believe this to be either Logger's Leap or the land behind the Swarm. I took to google maps in search for the location of this shot, here is how I narrowed the location down:
  • Thanks to the camera flipping up in the next shot I was able to identify a lake with two islands in it - St Ann's Lake South-West of Thorpe Park. Out of the two locations Swarm Island is closer. 
  • Not only this but the ground towards the bottom right of the clip is much browner than green like the grass and greenery near logger's leap
  • The shape of the land is very pointy so I looked for pointy outcrops of land around the island, and loggers leap just to be sure
After a little bit of searching I believe the location that this was filmed was on the Island behind The Swarm but on a little outcrop adjacent to Stealth. The exact coordinates from Google Maps are: 51.405236, -0.516806.  This would make sense as the drone operator could stand near Stealth or Sunken Garden which is a very short distance from the location.
This is either poor editing or a little tease for things to come. I hope it's the latter.
theparklifekid

H8223R wrote:Hmmm, could we have had our first tease for 2020?
Thorpe's 2018 end of season video surfaced on Twitter a couple of days ago and one shot in particular caught my eye:
Towards the end of the video (1:00 exactly) a random shot of a field is placed. Why place this in a video celebrating the 'best season yet' when there are many other things you could include from this packed year? Some believe this to be either Logger's Leap or the land behind the Swarm. I took to google maps in search for the location of this shot, here is how I narrowed the location down:
  • Thanks to the camera flipping up in the next shot I was able to identify a lake with two islands in it - St Ann's Lake South-West of Thorpe Park. Out of the two locations Swarm Island is closer. 
  • Not only this but the ground towards the bottom right of the clip is much browner than green like the grass and greenery near logger's leap
  • The shape of the land is very pointy so I looked for pointy outcrops of land around the island, and loggers leap just to be sure
After a little bit of searching I believe the location that this was filmed was on the Island behind The Swarm but on a little outcrop adjacent to Stealth. The exact coordinates from Google Maps are: 51.405236, -0.516806.  This would make sense as the drone operator could stand near Stealth or Sunken Garden which is a very short distance from the location.

This is either poor editing or a little tease for things to come. I hope it's the latter.
This is the screenshot in question.
And this is where the shot is:

I've seen a lot of people try to take this little clip out of context, thinking its something to do with 'ahhh its wood, rmc confirmed!'/ahhh thats loggers area'. Thorpe won't build anything here because frankly that would be a bit stupid to slap a coaster there. A while back when there were going to build an actual hotel, that would have gone near this area, but we won't see anything there. They probably thought the shot was cool and so they used it. Nothing to see here folks.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
sw7nutter

theparklifekid wrote:
I've seen a lot of people try to take this little clip out of context, thinking its something to do with 'ahhh its wood, rmc confirmed!'/ahhh thats loggers area'. Thorpe won't build anything here because frankly that would be a bit stupid to slap a coaster there. A while back when there were going to build an actual hotel, that would have gone near this area, but we won't see anything there. They probably thought the shot was cool and so they used it. Nothing to see here folks.
We will see development on this land ;)
H8223R

Ahhh thanks for the correction. Just another tease to create confusion, and, well, it clearly worked.
Bert

sw7nutter wrote:
theparklifekid wrote:
We will see development on this land ;)
Apart from the fact that it’s well away from the park itself and they probably don’t own that land.
[Insert Signature Here]
sw7nutter

Bert2theSpark wrote:Apart from the fact that it’s well away from the park itself and they probably don’t own that land.
I have to be very careful with what I say due to contractual agreements so I can't say much. However the park do own that section of land as the hotel was/is meant to be situated next to it.  
Htjc_

Ooh, stirring the pot...
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
Dan says hi

Sorry for the double post but Rumba Rapids has been taken off the app! Does that mean it won’t be open next season?
Swarm Chris

Dan says hi wrote:Sorry for the double post but Rumba Rapids has been taken off the app! Does that mean it won’t be open next season?
It's possible that it was removed during Fright Nights as it wasn't an attraction for that period.

The app has been out of date with attractions listings a lot in September/October, so I wouldn't read much into it.
The Nemesis Fox

Is it just me or has the 2nd island changed? I remember there being weight testing on the island behind Swarm but now from this image, I’ve got a hunch. The island seems to have had work to it, before it would’ve been left to overgrown but in the image it looks like it’s beenprepared for something. Could be wrong but I think this and 2020 add up somehow.
Swarm Chris

As far as I'm aware no work has happened at the park, except to making the area that Sanctum was on last year more usable for triathlons and other community events.