Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
NemesisRider

You know, AT could do with a 6 inversion ride to break up the gap between Nemmy and Smiler.
A floorless would be perfect for that.
Thorpe have the Swarm which is a good midpoint between Collossus and Nemmy Inferno for inversions.
NemesisRider

I was looking on the internet and found that because the Corkscrew became more of a family ride they used Thirteen to replace it.

So that tells me that if an coasters are ever replaced, they will probably keep the same thrill level.
Sr88

nemesisrider wrote:You know, AT could do with a 6 inversion ride to break up the gap between Nemmy and Smiler.
A floorless would be perfect for that.
Thorpe have the Swarm which is a good midpoint between Collossus and Nemmy Inferno for inversions.
I was initially thinking a 6 inversion, but decided it could seem a little extreme! 7 or 8 would bridge it even better!
RCandrew

If you see any rollercoaste with 6-8 inversions it's the first and main thing about it so maybe that'd be too much? Or is it just me :lol maybe 4! I like the difference between how many inversions because if A ride has some but not too many then they can surprise you, whereas on The Smiler you know it's just another inversion you're going into or if it only has one then you know where it is!
NemesisRider

OK, I see your point, though they can focus it on something else. The Swarm had 5, that is a decent amount but they kept the influence minimal (expect for a section of the minisite and the first one).

5 would be OK, right?
Are there many floorless coaster that have lots of airtime? They could make that work well in FB, good enough to be intense and a thrill ride but not big enough or similar enough to Nemmy to lose Nemmy business, right?
sw7nutter

The next ride wont be a intense thing with 5 inversions. I would expect a high end family thrill ride which would be something like a B&M floorless airtime machine. That way it can appeal to a lot of people. Thrill seekers will like it and so will the people which are anti inversions. It would have to have quite a hole dug to get a lot of airtime and a few high G corners. I think it would suit the park very well.
RCandrew

I agree^ plus if it was just airtime hills the height restriction could most likely be lower like thirteen meaning it would appeal to more people. Adding multiple inversions may take this away from smaller/younger people.
NemesisRider

Still, why not air time machine with 3 inversions? Cheetah hunt has a corkscrew, that is family and inverts. Why not a corkscrew, zero g roll (for the airtime) and an Immelmann over a FB bridge? Nemmy and Air both go under a bridge.

It could still be an airtime machine, intense and 1.3 (I hope...)
sw7nutter

You wouldn't be able to convince the public that a ride with 3 inversions is family friendly. Also it would need to have over head restraints which instantly makes it 1.4m ride.
Georgie

Why would it need OTHR? There are plenty of inverting coasters in the world with just a lap bar. (HELIX comes to mind.)
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
RCandrew

Exactly my point, making it have no inversions and just airtime and turns would mean family's would like it and it could have lap bars that they would see as safer and more appealing tot them, so then a lower height restriction would work :) if it had inversions and only lap bars I don't think it would appeal to families and younger people!
sw7nutter

yes there are but merlin don't want them. The initial plans for the smiler had lap bars but merlin always specially request OTHR. Otherwise the public deem the ride unsafe and it becomes a nightmare to sell.
NemesisRider

Thats a same.

Who says that it will definitely be a family coaster? They have just done 13 one SW ago. A good intense B&M with lots airtime (more than Nemesis or Air or The Smiler), perhaps 5 inversions, an inversion over a walkway, an SW that is quite good and not just for the sake of it and lastly, something to be popular long term.
sw7nutter

We know that SW8 will most likely be from B&M as B&M were not ready for SW7 so they switched them over (also the reason why SW7 was a very last minute design). B&M don't really do family rides so it will be a good thrill ride but i doubt it will be inversion heavy.
NemesisRider

I don't want it to be inversion heavy, just with enough to be good. If it's B&M I would like between 3-5. AT have Nemmy so a four inversion one is unlikely. Air has 2 so 2 inversions are unlikely. 1 is pretty much only for Family coasters. AT likes inversions, on a visit you can go upside down 20 times and at TP, 22 times (if you go on each ride once).
Coasterfellow

I don't really think a roller coaster should have inversions for the sake of having inversions. Alton Towers next roller coaster should have 2 inversions but they should really stand out and be focal points of the ride rather than just being there for the sake of it.
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
NemesisRider

That sound like Air...

I can't get over the fact someone replied 3 minutes after I posted. LOL

They need lots of scenery interaction but not too much artificial scenery. The Smiler's marmaliser was perfect, and it tied into the ride story.
RCandrew

Nobody 'knows' anything it's all just pure speculation..

The number of inversions depends on the manufacturer and the place of the ride.. I say about 2-3 if it's a B&M thrill hyper or something, and just because another coaster in the park has the same number of inversions I doubt that they'd change it.. What difference does that make unless it's the exact same coaster? :lol and even if a family coaster was 2 SWs ago it wouldn't stop them expanding their range. I don't think it would be made for families, I think if it were a B&M hyper it would be as big as it can and as thrilling as it can, just with a 1.3m height restriction.
Danny

As Cbeebies Land has been a huge investment for young children this year, I would expect the next SW to be a thrilling 1.3 coaster like GForce at DM but be built by MACK and be a lot longer
NemesisRider

A B&M hyper could be good, but it would be too restricted. A 1.3 would be OK, though, deep down, we all want an amazing, fast, maybe inverting, intense ride that is super cool. :lol :yes:

I want a B&M that is as intense as Nemesis that is not too smooth to be not thrilling. Floorless or stand up could be good with air time and negative G's. Especially the stand up.