Heide Park

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
BULBOUS

That is poor. It looks like Corkscrew, just there, just hideous.

Given this picture : http://www.rcdb.com/ig4146.htm?picture=5 , there's not a lot they can do with such a layout. But, you know, caves, rocks, tipis? Anything to look old-western. At least cover those brown support structures?
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.
AstroDan

My main point is why is a park owned by such a huge company as Merlin investing in a Zierer coaster and theming it very, very sparsley?! This is no way to even attempt to compete with Disney - let alone the other major German parks such as Europa-Park and Phantasialand.

If Alton had installed that I would be most alarmed!

:shock:
Mankey

This is pretty awful... you'd think an addition that minimal would be compensated with alot of theming, I prime example of what can be done with a layout like that is Chessingtons Runaway Train, i mean sure the ride sucks, but the theming is pretty damn good on that ride.

And Zierer? Why? Thats like getting your bog standard Pinfari ZL-42 or something.

*sigh* Sometimes i wish i knew what Merlin were up to!

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
Kaz

[quote=""AstroDan.""]My main point is why is a park owned by such a huge company as Merlin investing in a Zierer coaster and theming it very, very sparsley?! This is no way to even attempt to compete with Disney - let alone the other major German parks such as Europa-Park and Phantasialand.

If Alton had installed that I would be most alarmed!

:shock:[/quote]

The contract for this coaster was probably signed late 2007. Merlin didn't really have a grip on Tussauds at that point so I would assume it's safe to say this is more of a DIC era ride.

Come to think of it I doubt the holding companies have much say attraction wise. They simply set targets and it is down to the park management to meet them.
Wes

[quote=""Kaz""]They simply set targets and it is down to the park management to meet them.[/quote]

Yeh. Its very much the management's choice as to what happens - just like what is happening at Alton Towers at the moment.

Looking at the picture Nickdaegg posted - the area doesn't look too bad to be honest?
AstroDan

I think it looks sparse and far too open with a lack of theming for cover! That new coaster looks no better than Beastie which is over 20 years old!

Whilst a lot may come down to management, I wonder what Heide Park are playing at when Europa-Park and Phantasialand are such massive players.
Rob L

That coaster looks poor, if your going to get a small cheap coaster like that then at least spend more money on theming it well. It looks like a boring coaster to ride even for young children.

I just hope that that it's Heide Park's management that are mainly responsible for this ride and not Merlin, I would hate to wee something like this at Alton. However after Mutiny Bay I am hopefull that Alton's future attractions will be better than this one, and have more theming.

Luce

Considering the rest of Heide Park is so well themed this new coaster does look as if it's lacking some themeing but it's not as bad as I thought!
Ash

Haunted Hollow was worse...
jonathan leake

Coke

Picture update posted here
[url=http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=50274" target="_blank]http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=50274[/url]

Are you thirsty?
Mankey

Nice looking theme going on there! All flats though? reminds me of when Thorpe started on lost city!
Back from hibernation!
John

Nice to see its not all white and green!

They've somehow managed to fit about twice as many flats as alton have in total into a patch of land half the size of x-sector.

Also, now heide park have some new flats, can alton have some too, or at least a new (fully working) top spin, thx Merlin.

EDIT: Not too fond of some of the colours though, and what's that blue thing in the middle supposed to be?
caffeine_demon

looks quite nice, if a little uninspiring
AstroDan

I don't think they're all "new" - indeed all/most are re-themed.
Big Dave

[quote=""duckman""]EDIT: Not too fond of some of the colours though, and what's that blue thing in the middle supposed to be?[/quote]

Looks like a mast for a swing ride aka Ugswinger/twirling toodstool.
Khanage

What a lovely looking area. What I like about it most is the integration the rides have with the theming. I like it when rides are built into an area rather than just plonked on the ground. Great stuff.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

amcmaster1

Does anyone know what the full list of attractions and the name of the new area?
Wishing i was back in the Caribbean
Khanage

I think it's called The Maya Valley according to their website.

Not sure about the attractions though.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Skumfidus

It isn't an Egyptian theme, it's Mayan.....hence the name.

It looks ok, but on closer inspection there isn't much going on really!