Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Janey75

AltonOperator wrote:I’d like to clarify that although it would be an alright idea and it has been mentioned in the past, I do not believe it will happen in the next few years, if at all. Possibly if sw9 is located around there they could build it at the same time but I still don’t think it’s likely.
I’ve just booked to stay at enchanted village and I’m sure it mentions a rear entrance to the park for hotel visitors. Is this not the case? I really need to find out as I need to know whether to park at the village first thing in the morning or go to the usual carpark.
AltonOperator

Janey75 wrote:
AltonOperator wrote:I’d like to clarify that although it would be an alright idea and it has been mentioned in the past, I do not believe it will happen in the next few years, if at all. Possibly if sw9 is located around there they could build it at the same time but I still don’t think it’s likely.
I’ve just booked to stay at enchanted village and I’m sure it mentions a rear entrance to the park for hotel visitors. Is this not the case? I really need to find out as I need to know whether to park at the village first thing in the morning or go to the usual carpark.

As a hotel guest you get free parking near the hotels. Leave your car there. If there’s a hotel entrance then use that, if not, join the long queue to the main entrance.
Thanks Jack
Morgan

Alton Towers have submitted a planning application to establish an enhanced and slightly extended 'Heritage Tour' through the Towers Ruins.

TowersTimes News reviews all the details, including a look at the layout plans for scare mazes The Attic: Terror of the Towers, Altonville Mine Tours: Uncover the Legend of the Skin Snatchers, and Sub Species: The End Games.

Aidan Lowe

Not sure if people caught it but there was a one off documentary about the re-opening over on Channel 4 last week.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/alt ... aster-year
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Stan.H

Tickets for the Christmas event are now on sale, Adults £24 (£12.50) and Children £15 (£12.50) - Bracket prices are for Annual Passholders.

It includes selected rides, a 45-minute Panto (Robin Hood, Santa's Woodland Grotto and more!
Chris
Admin
Admin

Morgan

Christmas came to Alton Towers this weekend with the start of their Festive Days Out event.

Inviting local guests for a day of special festive entertainment and jolly Garden tours, TowersTimes explores the seasonal delights on offer.

harydeany94

For foreigners who haven't been to AT yet, or even people who have in the past, do you think Alton Towers lives up to its hype? Is Nemesis really worth it? Are there any other coasters that merit a visit? The lack of flat/dark rides bother you?
Dan

harydeany94 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:40 pm For foreigners who haven't been to AT yet, or even people who have in the past, do you think Alton Towers lives up to its hype? Is Nemesis really worth it? Are there any other coasters that merit a visit? The lack of flat/dark rides bother you?
In general, Alton Towers is still a good park but I think most enthusiasts will agree that it is a park which is, unfortunately, a shadow of its former self.

The main reason for people to visit is undoubtedly the coaster line-up. Nemesis, while being the oldest coaster in the park, is still more than worth it. The landscaping and the way you fly past the rocks and waterfalls greatly enhance the experience. Wicker Man and The Smiler are other favourites of mine but to be honest, all of the coasters are worth a ride, especially for a first time visitor.

The well documented lack of dark and flat rides is an issue. On a quiet day you can find that you’ve done everything you want to do by early-afternoon. The addition of the Alton Towers Dungeon has helped plug this gap somewhat but many casual visitors to the Resort are put off by both the upcharge and the length of time taken to get through the attraction. Speaking of dark rides, Hex is a classic and is certainly not to be missed.
Dan

As reported on TowersTimes social media; In line with the latest Government guidance, Alton Towers have confirmed that the theme park and selected self-contained accommodation will open from 12th April 2021. The Enchanted Village is available to book on the website from the above date.

It is unclear at this stage when the new attraction for 2021, The World of David Walliams, will open.

As we posted yesterday, the Alton Towers Gardens will be open every day from 29th March to 11th April for guests in the local area to enjoy. Pre-booking visits on all dates is still required.

Are you excited to visit the Resort once again?
Chris
Admin
Admin

So what do we make of the new Mardi Gras event at Alton Towers?
This May join us in getting the summer vibes going with the brand-new Alton Towers Mardi Gras! This Carnival inspired takeover will dazzle you with an explosion of colours, sounds, high energy entertainment and so much more! Not forgetting that you will have the chance to ride our thrilliant world-class rollercoasters and fantaboulous family faves as the sun goes down (starts going down – into the sunset) as well as try some utterly delicious food from around the world. Don’t miss out!
https://www.altontowers.com/explore/events/mardi-gras/

cookiee_munster

Chris wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:42 pm So what do we make of the new Mardi Gras event at Alton Towers?
This May join us in getting the summer vibes going with the brand-new Alton Towers Mardi Gras! This Carnival inspired takeover will dazzle you with an explosion of colours, sounds, high energy entertainment and so much more! Not forgetting that you will have the chance to ride our thrilliant world-class rollercoasters and fantaboulous family faves as the sun goes down (starts going down – into the sunset) as well as try some utterly delicious food from around the world. Don’t miss out!

TBF it's a bit of an odd one. But I think any kind of celebration is welcomed right now so bring it on! :p
Chris
Admin
Admin

The Alton Towers Annual Pass has returned and is now available to purchase via the box office or online via the Alton Towers Website. At a cost of £119, this new digital gold pass provides unlimited theme park entry for 12 months*, free standard parking, up to 20% off retail, food & beverages, discount on Fastrack, 20% off the Alton Towers Dungeon, the Alton Towers Spa, Waterpark and up to 20% discount on overnight stays.

*Excluding 20 dates across the 2021/2022 theme park season.

https://www.altontowers.com/.../alton-t ... nual-pass/
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Alton Towers have submitted an application seeking listed building consent for repair works to the rear elevation of The Swiss Cottage.

The application notes that possible future uses include using it as an estate office, bringing it back into food and beverage use, or possibly opening it as a museum of memorabilia.

ColaRoaster

I was just wondering, are any of the AT board free masons, that we know off?
Storme duke

Chris wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:42 pm So what do we make of the new Mardi Gras event at Alton Towers?

I didn't think much of it last year as there wasn't many dancers as I think out of the whole day I only saw the act in the X sector area as the other stages were empty :(
However this festival of thrills is an amazing event and I love how it gives so much life to the park as its nice to hear covers of songs and gives it more of a summer vibe :) I wish they would do it during the summer but better than nothing along with having Mardi Gras it's still better than nothing :D
Storme duke

I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to rides. I was tempted to go on roller disco and the blade.
My question is about roller disco, how does the spinning work? As in do they have a button they press and you spin or is it based on the weight of the car? For example if you are leaning more to a side you'll spin more whilst sat in the middle you won't.
As I was there the other day and saw some peoples cars really spinning like no tomorrow and some people's cars not spinning at all. I would prefer it if my car wouldn't spin as much 😂
Chris
Admin
Admin

It's a combination of weight of the car and gravity - for example a heavier load will rotate down the little drops quicker, causing the car to spin faster.
Storme duke

Chris wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:55 pm It's a combination of weight of the car and gravity - for example a heavier load will rotate down the little drops quicker, causing the car to spin faster.
Ah okay thank you :) that puts me at ease :D I'll make sure to sit in the middle so I don't spin as much 😂
ArchiprntUK

lewis97 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:42 pm Alton Towers have submitted an application seeking listed building consent for repair works to the rear elevation of The Swiss Cottage.

The application notes that possible future uses include using it as an estate office, bringing it back into food and beverage use, or possibly opening it as a museum of memorabilia.

Thank you for posting this! As someone in the architecture industry I find these planning proposals very interesting to look at!
Alton Towers theme park prints:
http://www.archiprnt.com

Sale now on!
Prints are cheapest on our website, but you will also find us on Etsy and EBay.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ArchiPrnt