Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
abigsmurf

What looks to be a tame family coaster but with an inversion is interesting, not sure I've ever seen it attempted (plenty of mild coasters with loops or inline twists but it's usually done to ensure that the coaster definitely isn't seen as a family coaster.
Chris
Admin
Admin

The full consultation is now online:

Lots of specific details on there, including that they are in in talks with various manufacturers including Vekoma, Mack, B&M, Gerstlauer and ART engineering. The height requirement will also be 1.4m which confirms it may be a thrill coaster model, but evidently tamer than most rides of a similar type - all intriguing!

Generally shuttle coasters are lower capacity than attractions with a full circuit as they cannot run multiple trains, so if Chessington continue with the concept, I am interested to see how they will make the ride a reasonable capacity, as that is really needed.
Chris
Admin
Admin

The full planning application for Chessington World of Adventures Resort‘s new Amazon Land development has today been published, offering a more detailed insight into the proposals, which include a rollercoaster, and generating speculation that the area could be themed around Jumanji.

Attraction Source News has all the details.

What do you think of this development?

abigsmurf

Confirmation of an inline twist.

Remains a really strange design. launched family wing coaster with a relatively flat layout that has an inversion.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Certainly unique! And B&Ms first dip into the shuttle coaster market.

Will be a ncie addition, but a 720 people per hour throughout is concerning though - was hoping to see a switch track or a sliding station design to enable two trains. As we know from the low capacity Croc Drop this year, 80 minute queues may be common theme.
abigsmurf

It's higher capacity than The Rattlesnake at least but it is a bit of a concern for what's likely to be a showpiece ride that everyone will want to go on. Two kids flats nearby is probably a hint that they're expecting big queues and providing something to do for kids who can't/won't go on it.

It's a healthy spread of coasters throughout the park though this will at least ease the pressure off of some of the other rides and encourage more walking around (and hopefully have more people spend time around the animal enclosures too).

Got to say that Merlin are missing a trick with themed foods. Jumanji would be perfect for them to have their own premium Rainforest Cafe style themed restaurant. Disney and Universal make a fortune out of themed food but outside of Nitrogenie and the Rollercoaster restaurant, Merlin seem reluctant to offer much other than fairly standard food.
ColaRoaster

Bubbleworks

Yeah, it was a happy ride. Few, if any, walked away from this ride without a deep appreciation for the world-class piece of automated theatre it was but I have a few thoughts on the art of accomplishing that: This ride had a scary side. Not massively scary, but just enough to make things interesting. Perhaps the most obvious attribute of this dark side is that it was dark but it goes a bit deeper than that and is less obvious. I think myself, that the style of the ride was heavily influenced by pop-surreal artwork, (and I sure the pun was intended) and like pop-surreal stuff, it had an organic feel. There was even a scene where a foot was getting tickled with a feather and I can't find the image right now but that was lifted straight from a famous piece of pop-surreal artwork. On average pop-surreal isn't really good or evil, it's sick...But in a good way. Don't say I didn't love this ride.

Also the entire ride was like a giant organ. The last ride I want to see is a ride through a human body but just something about floating around in a trough in a circular boat through all these automated systems is organic to me. I suppose it's a bit like blood cells in veins.

There were of course huge animated sculptures which are scary in their own right, especially to young children and a few scenes that were obviously designed to be a little bit and deliberately scary like the preasure chamber scene and the rogue bubble.

So to sum things up I think a good family-dark-ride scares people a little bit.

Have an awesome day and share with us your thoughts.
vampire

*blows dust off his account*

Was at the park today for the Zootastic Weekend event and was suprised to find they've started work. Seeing as no-one else seems to have noticed I thought I'd mention it here. I took 2 pictures on my phone, but at the time wasn't planning to be posting them here, so apologies for the rubbish quality. Also, most paths in that area are closed due to the rides being closed, so I had to zoom in a bit (They kept a few paths open so you can get to the Capybaras and Tigers)

Seems to be basic earth movement and tree clearence for now. Could hear a chainsaw and wood chipper being used extensively from nearby spots.
IMG_2231.JPG
IMG_2246-min.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ColaRoaster

Georgous pics
Chris
Admin
Admin

vampire wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:47 pm *blows dust off his account*

Was at the park today for the Zootastic Weekend event and was suprised to find they've started work. Seeing as no-one else seems to have noticed I thought I'd mention it here. I took 2 pictures on my phone, but at the time wasn't planning to be posting them here, so apologies for the rubbish quality. Also, most paths in that area are closed due to the rides being closed, so I had to zoom in a bit (They kept a few paths open so you can get to the Capybaras and Tigers)

Seems to be basic earth movement and tree clearence for now. Could hear a chainsaw and wood chipper being used extensively from nearby spots.
Thanks for the update! Looks like they have fully removed the beach attraction, along with all the sand with it.

The planning application states that the ride hardware should arrive any time now. Exciting!
Jared

^ The ride hardware wasn't ordered until after planning was approved. So it'll be quite some time until the rides arrive on site.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Good to know - would be a bit premature now anyway.