Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
AltonOperator

I’ve come up with a sort of development plan for Alton Towers. It is mainly based on my wishes and hopes but I have tried to think about profitability and commercial viability. I’ll start with my year-by-year plans then move on to general improvements to be carried out at any stage.

2020 – The theme of the year is the 40th anniversary. Old branding is used for the entrance and old ride music is used park wide. Every Saturday in July and August becomes a birthday party. Tickets to these days are £19.80 and there is free birthday cake handed out. The park closes at midnight on these days. The Saturdays alternate between a huge fireworks display celebrating the history of the park and an 80s concert, each evening featuring different bands, artists and tributes.
Despite no long-term investment, the year should be profitable. The party days should achieve high attendance because of the low price publicity stunt and the concerts and firework shows. Guest spending should also increase as they remain in the park for dinner time so are likely to buy another meal. Hotel stays should increase also as guests leaving the park in the early hours of Sunday are likely to chose not to drive. This way, they are also able to purchase alcohol without worrying about getting home.

2021 – This year, the waterpark finally receives an expansion. Three attractions are added, both inside and outside. Two would be thrilling speed slides while the other is a family raft ride. The update should regenerate the public’s interest in it (many people do not know the park exists) and drive ticket sales. The opening times are adjusted so that guests can visit the waterpark after the main park closes. Tickets for hotel guests are heavily discounted to encourage them to visit.
Spinball Whizzer is removed this year and replaced by a Cbeebies Land expansion. Three or four new, small rides or attractions are added along with a new shop and food outlet. New paths are built behind Big Fun Showtime to tie the new site into the Cbeebies Land area. An audit of the entire area should take place to ensure all IPs are still relevant and popular, as they are essential to attracting young families.

2022 – Forbidden Valley is expanded and revamped. In my opinion, Forbidden Valley has more potential than any other land because of its proximity to the hotels. The car park to the east of Galactica is added to the area and holds a new roller coaster – SW9. The coaster acts as a feature for the new entrance to the park, like Gatekeeper at Cedar Point. The entrance is used by hotel guests, MAP holders and disabled guests. This means disabled parking can be incorporated into the main car parks. ERT now consists of FV, GW and possibly KC. The new entrance helps to spread guests out at the start of the day and reduce monorail queue times. The Towers Street entrance is still used for day guests.
Work is done to consolidate the space/alien theme of Forbidden Valley, ensuring Nemesis, Galactica and SW9 work together and exist in the same universe. The area could even have a new name. Beautiful, effective lighting is invested in to turn FV into the perfect spot for after-hours parties and events. The proximity to the hotels means it is easily accessed and the RCR can provide catering. Events could range from companies showing off new products and treating clients to private parties for the rich, featuring coasters and a DJ. The area could also be used in the off-season for hotel guests. Promoting the short queues should increase hotel stays in the usually very quiet off-season. The Frog Hopper is moved to Forbidden Valley to cater to children visiting from hotels, but is closed during normal operating days.

2023 – The Dark Forest takes over Cloud Cuckoo Land. Rita is removed, turning the newly expanded Dark Forest into a family area. The buildings around CCL are rethemed to resemble the Towers, but as you move away from the Towers and towards the Dungeons and Th13teen, they become covered in vines and branches, so they look like the forest has taken over, like the crypt. With Rita gone, the area is a little more spacious. New family rides are built on the Twirling Toadstool and Bone Shaker sites and the carousel and driving school are rethemed. The cinema and indoor play buildings are gutted, ready to be expanded for a new dark ride in future years.

2024 – Flat rides are added to X-Sector and Forbidden Valley. They must be unique and interesting enough to be able to be marketed as experiences worth visiting the park for.

Improvements/Ideas -
  • Opening hours are increased in summer months. The extended openings can be marketed as events in themselves e.g. Summer Lates. The longer days mean guests can be encouraged to spend time visiting the Dungeons or the RCR. Guests are in the park for both lunch and tea so there are more opportunities to sell food, and they are likely to buy a full meal for one of them, rather than just a burger or hot dog.
  • Food offerings are improved to offer a much wider range. There are more vegetarian, vegan, GF, etc. options and food from different countries, rather than the stereotypical theme park foods. More sit-down restaurants are built and the Towers Family Restaurant is available all year round for a meal on the way out of the park.
  • On closed days such as off-peak Wednesdays, the Gardens and Towers are open for guests interested in heritage. Older guests are encouraged to visit on coach trips and the tickets are reasonably priced. Talks about the history of the Towers and the Park are held throughout the day. Also held on closed days are behind the scenes tours. Fans pay a premium price to tour Duel with the lights on or take a lift hill walk on Obivion. On these days, parking is free, guest numbers are low, food options are limited and most of the park is closed, meaning very few staff are needed.
  • Wealthy guests can choose to take VIP tours around the park. Similar to Disney Parks, the VIP tours offer front of the line access, food, a personal guide, etc. There is no inconvenience to the average guest but Merlin can make a little extra profit.
  • Access to the park is improved using shuttle buses to train stations. The times should work with the opening times of the park (unlike the X41 which does not reach the park until too late in the morning) and should be promoted better, offering combined bus + park tickets and the option to add bus shuttle to hotel stays.

That was longer than expected! As I said, this is just a few ideas of what I’d like to see and how it could be made profitable - this is not what I think will or should happen. Its just for fun.
I encourage discussion based on my ideas.
(Also this kind of thing should probably have its own topic)
Thanks Jack
GalRides

Now that I have heard that SW9 talks are going underway, we might not be getting any Ripsaw-sized flat rides coming to the park before any supposedly SW9 investments are made.
But if we do see any flats arranged, this is how i believe they should be spread out:
-Forbidden valley
*Could easily fit a flat in place of the old Ripsaw site
*Blade is currently out of play; so maybe closure is near? Potential new site?
*Air/Galactica car park could be abolished for a flat, but can also be SW9 site
-Dark Forest
*Th13teen picnic area is decently sized area for a flat
-Katanga Canyon
*Pathway to Wicker Man could maybe slide a small flat in?
-Adventure Land
*Move Spinball to Air/Galactica car park
-X-sector and Mutiny bay
*Don't need any huge investment but can switch out Enterprise or Heave Ho! for something different.
Swarm Chris

Perhaps the opening of Walliams area will provide a barometer for the park's level of intended investment in flat rides outside of CBeebies Land. At the moment we know one headline attraction (presumably a ride) will be coming, but will they have taken the time to refit or replace other attractions within Cloud Cuckoo Land?

They've had two good seasons of attendance, so I'd be concerned that if we don't see other attractions return to the Cloud Cuckoo Land area alongside this development, then we may still be unlikely to see things be added back to Dark Forest, Forbidden Valley or X-Sector.
Coaster Chall

I think 2021 should be a flat ride year, especially with sister park Chessington World Of Adventures getting the drop tower on Rameses Revenge's site and I'm sure there's more flats coming to the UK and Europe, so I think Thirteen's picnic area and then combine the Blade and Ripsaw sites for a Zamperla Disk'o Coaster maybe
ATI

Does anyone know what's going on with Blade at the moment, and if it will be returning for the 2020 season?
We were born to fly...
Coaster Chall

To be honest, I'm not sure. I think it’s still in bits onsite and the ship itself is still in that car park with some Flume boats, etc.
GregH94

The hotels and waterpark open back up this weekend after their winter maintenance periods, maybe we’ll start hearing more about what’s been going on around the theme park in the coming weeks 
Dan

GregH94 wrote:The hotels and waterpark open back up this weekend after their winter maintenance periods, maybe we’ll start hearing more about what’s been going on around the theme park in the coming weeks 
A few of us are heading over to the Resort next weekend, so we may well have some stuff to share :)
Coaster Chall

Who else thinks that 2021 will be a year where there will be just general improvements and changes and maybe a couple of family rides? Just cause of the current pandemic and also with their next big project a couple years away in my opinion...
wamdue

I think that goes without saying, income is going to in the toilet this year, even if its open for a few months.

On the plus side, David Williams Land will just be quite new to guests who will likely have delayed their visit till 2021. I could almost see a mini relaunch of the area, with some publicity almost repeated.

I dont know if Merlin will take any debt to help get past this, but like so many firms, they wont be in a position to spend alot for a few years.
Coaster Chall

Yeah I think if there was anything else as well as a relaunch for Walliams World, then it would be a few thousand pounds worth spent on refurbishing services like toiletries, planting, gardening, etc.
wamdue

I think we can say much the same thing about all the parks, maybe even worldwide, but certainly UK parks. Paultons Park was meant to have opened Tornado Springs with Storm Chaser and other rides this year, that is a massive investment for them, just sitting. Its a hard time for everyone.

Its not impossible that with some social distancing they could get a June - September run, but its likely if theme parks are allowed to open, a good number of kids will be in school as well. 2020 is a Lost Year for alot of businesses, not just a lost few months.
Coaster Chall

Yeah I completely agree. I think that Alton Towers Resort will relaunch World Of David Walliams and other parks will relaunch their new attractions.

Chessington has an absolute field day. Rainforest area and Drop Tower in the same year haha!
wamdue

Alton Towers has one thing on Chessington and Paultons Park, its not got a Zoo, it does have Sharkbait Reef, but much smaller, and I suspect it doesn't need as much attention.

Every single Zoo right now is spending money feeding animals and will have no income.There isn't a Nemesis creature that Alton Towers has to feed or keep at bay during the times the park is closed.
Last edited by DeadJack5 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correction of spelling
Coaster Chall

This might be too soon to talk about it, but with The World Of David Walliams opening in 2021, it should be interesting what could the park add for 2022.

Again, it might be too soon to talk about it but it is worth starting the discussion now I guess.
cookiee_munster

is there no way possible that a new huss top spin could be put back in Ripsaws place simply as Ripsaw 2.0? the restraints for the Suspended version look a lot more comfortable. I just think its rubbish all these flat rides have been removed over the years and nothing has really replaced them.
Coaster Chall

is there no way possible that a new huss top spin could be put back in Ripsaws place simply as Ripsaw 2.0? the restraints for the Suspended version look a lot more comfortable. I just think its rubbish all these flat rides have been removed over the years and nothing has really replaced them.
Yeah I'd love a new version of Ripsaw and plus, they could continue their anniversary celebrations over the next couple of years to make up for not really having an anniversary in 2020. I think that realistically, maybe 2022 will be a new ride in Cbeebies Land (replacing Nina's Science Lab), new entertainment throughout the season and maybe a new flat ride like a Ripsaw 2.0.
Coaster Chall

Saw this on twitter... Is this fake or is it happening?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AltonOperator

Notice that there’s a rectangle around the date? A new date has just been put over an old image. Also the ‘2021’ in the top right corner has very clearly been added. In fact the whole green part looks really shoddy. Looks to me like it was all done on instagram from the fonts.
It would make absolutely no sense for towers to come out and announce a festival in such uncertain times.
Thanks Jack
Coaster Chall

Yeah that is very true. To be honest I didn't believe it but I figured this forum are the experts on trying to pick out the fake info haha.

It would be nice to see a new Alton Towers Live but probably when Covid is over and done.