Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Chris
Admin
Admin

My fondest memory of Rameses Revenge was during its first few years during Fright Nights (as I recall the event being called then, before the family transition).

It was so popular, the line reached 2-3 hours, which filled the elevated queue line, and went in to the long extension in the large planter that was eventually replaced by the truckers game.

There was music, smoke and a laser light show. It looked AWESOME.

Queens 'A Kind of Magic' always reminds me of Rameses as this was one of the prominent songs they would play.

I never really understood why Chessington gave the ride a 'Stargate' makeover, when the original Egyptian theming looked great. The two cobras either side of the structure looked so imposing.

The demolition of the entrance, along with cutting off the elevated queue line really did destroy how immersive the area was, something which the designer John Wardley did so well. Then again the majority of the park's original theming is also suffering the same fate.

You only have to look at the below video to appreciate how magnificent the park looked in the early Tussauds era.
RIP Rameses - the last true thrill ride at Chessington.

Photo credits: Parkz
KaiPhillips

It's truly sad to see it go, I went to Chessington for the first time in years (since 2012 odd) last week and as great as it was I just feel as if so much of Wardley's vision is gone, I know parks must move forwards but let's be honest the Wild Woods? that's backwards.
#1 Schwur des Karnan #2 Taron #3 The Smiler #4 Colossos - KdG #5 The Swarm #6 Flug der Damonen #7 Nemesis #8 Wicker Man #9 Shambala #10 Rock n Rollercoaster (Fl)
#1 Phantasialand #2 Alton Towers #3 PortAventura #4 WDW Hollywood Studios #5 Universal IOA
Morgan

So, Creepy Caves After Dark. That was... something.
After the announcement in the summer, it seemed safe to assume that Chessington's attempt at an "extreme" attraction was going to be more akin to a run through of Sub-Species, but what was on offer was far more intense! Entering, we found out that this really wasn't something you'd expect from a family park. Right from the word go, everything is crazy, with constant contact and a very sweary dialogue. The next 10mins was a constant onslaught of terror, and really gave a taste of what hell might be like. Nothing was off the cards here- the contact was far more extreme than anything I've encountered. To give an example- I was shoved into corners, forced to wear a hood and slapped. It was insane.
I really, really enjoyed this experience. I wouldn't say it was scary, but just pure fun- I was in stitches! It was so crazy to see that of all the Merlin parks, it was Chessington- the family park- would offer something so hectic and wildly innappropriate. The nature of the aggresive and continuous contact certainly means it's not for everyone- but if you enjoy things like Sub-Species, then you're bound to love Creepy Caves After Dark. I think my only concern is that the age restriction seemed very low- it was a little concerning that you only had to be 13 to enter, when it felt like something that should've been restricted to an adult audience. But as long as you read the waiver carefully and are prepared to be jostled and bitten, then by all means go for it.
Coaster Chall

Just seen this on FB for UK Theme Parks and it seems as if Chessington World Of Adventures have announced that a new four year partnership will bring the Elmer character from the children's book to the relocated Flying Jumbos. Elmer's Flying Jumbos will open in 2020.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

It seems the original press release actually went out at the end of November last year, so this somehow slipped past everyone, until now...
DeadJack5

As 2019 has drawn to a close, let’s take a look back at the 2019 season for Britain’s Wildest Adventure!

[align=center]Image[/align]

The park began the year operating a small number of rides as part of seasonal events tied to school holidays, along with weekend zoo days. Alongside this, seasonal maintenance occurred with some notably running beyond the Resort's main opening date. The largest change for the new season came from the conversion of Hocus Pocus Hall into a new walkthrough based on the children’s book, Room on the Broom - A Magical Journey, which added to the Resort's attractions based upon Julia Donalson's books.

A new food item was added to the rebranded Just Chicken outlet, the Donut Chicken Burger. Elsewhere smaller cosmetic enhancements were made to some rides, including Toadie’s Crazy Cars. Sadly, Black Buccaneer did not open for the 2019 season, with its fate currently unclear. Like its sister park Thorpe Park, Chessington installed a temporary inflatable attraction over the summer, 'The Bounce', to bring high energy fun to the resort.

Later in the season it was announced that Rameses Revenge would be leaving the Resort at the end of the year. In its place, plans were submitted for a highly themed drop tower, scheduled to open in 2021. Plans were also submitted to build a mini log flume for 2020 and relocate and retheme Flying Jumbos to Elmer's Flying Jumbos. The season ended with Howl’o’Ween, which offered a new family maze but also unexpectedly the After Dark upcharge of pre-existing attraction, Creepy Caves.

What did you make of Britain's Wildest Adventure in 2019? Did you enjoy Room on the Broom - A Magical Journey? Were you terrified by Creepy Caves After Dark? Are you excited for the upcoming new additions to the park?
Swarm Chris

As posted on SouthParks, information about a new Rainforest land at CWOA has been revealed. The new land will contain three rides and a small number of animals, and is inspired by the Resort's work with the World Land Trust.

Included in the new land will be a new junior log flume named River Rafts, a redesign of Toadie's Crazy Cars to a driving adventure Jungle Rangers, and the area will also include Treetop Hoppers. Some of the Resort's animals, including giant tortoise and capybara, will also move to this new area. Alongside this development is the re-theme and relocation of Flying Jumbos to become Elmer's Flying Jumbos.

Coaster Chall

I think that this is a fantastic investment. Once again, a section of the park that has got the official Chessington treatment, I did think that the area needed a theme of some sort and Toadies Crazy Cars is a classic ride. Plus this mini log flume is perfect for those underneath the height requirement for Tiger Rock and Treetop Hoppers would get a nice new lick of paint to make it look fresh.

As for Elmer's Flying Jumbos, absolutely brilliant IP and very rare for the UK
Harry347

I wonder if Jungle Rangers will include any show scenes or if it will just be plywood cut outs or maybe even some 3D models spaced around the track? 

I think this is a really smart move from the park, they haven't brought any new ride systems, just moved a few and refurbished them. It's a good way of getting a "new" area out of already existing rides and attractions. 
Swarm Chris

I feel everyone should be reminded about the wonder that was Terror Tomb, from this video by British Theme Park Archive.
Harry347

How strange I also was going for a trip down memory lane yesterday and was watching this very POV along with the fifth dimension POV they have! Super nostalgic seeing terror tomb in it's former glory! 
Qzzb_UK

I vaguely remember Terror Tomb, I was very young when I went on it. Remember it being one of my first dark rides and I loved it. I do miss the original ideas for rides that they used to have back in the day. 
ROYJESS

I remember riding it when it was The 5th Dimension, showing my age now 
Swarm Chris

ROYJESS wrote:I remember riding it when it was The 5th Dimension, showing my age now 
I have limited memories of it, other than the smoke, darkness and part of the music. It's hard for me to fully recall if I remember Zappomatic more from the ride itself, or from photos in the guidebook.
Harry347

I only ever got to experience Terror Tomb, I'm a mid 90's baby so missed 5th Dimension, I also saw a video of the original Runaway Mine Train the other day, not sure if it's just because I'm looking at it through rose tinted glasses but I prefer the original theming in comparison to Scorpion Express
Swarm Chris

Runaway Mine Train is an odd one. The (not) rock work looked fantastic from the outside, and combined with the queue and music, made the experience feel like a very mini Big Thunder Mountain. But, on the inside of the (not) rock work, it was just the grey shell and supports holding it all together, and I believe it was always damp. If it rained heavily it usually couldn't open, probably because it had filed with water. After nearly 30 years, it certainly needed replacing.

The new style for me seems a decent installation. However, having removed all of the (not) rock work it does visually lose a lot of the niceness of the scenery, the slight mystery of the route the ride takes, and an increased perception of speed due to moving close to the scenery.

Would have loved to have seen some combination of the two.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Both the rock work on Dragon Falls and RMT were removed at similar times as it was found that the scaffolding (yes scaffolding) which held it all up had corroded to the point of being dangerous. Years and years of corrosive bird poo can't have helped either.

The quality of the rock work was never the best, and although it looked impressive from a distance, it began to deteriorate quickly which was evident from the many times it was repainted and repaired, or not!

Similar to what Chris mentioned, both attractions suddenly felt a lot smaller than what they did previously, as the rock work really did add a bigger sense of scale and immersiveness.
Harry347

Wow that's pretty interesting! I agree that Scorpion Express is well themed but yes, the illusion of how big the ride actually is, is ruined. I had no idea how that they used something like scaffolding for the (not) rock work, is the Lost Kingdoms theming constructed in a similar manner I wonder? If so does that mean that also has limited time before it starts to deteriorate (more than it already has)?
Jared

Chessington has confirmed via their Social Media channels that a new ship is coming to the park and they are asking for help naming it.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Jared wrote:Chessington has confirmed via their Social Media channels that a new ship is coming to the park and they are asking for help naming it.
Nice to see the old girl back again. It's a classic that will never lose popularity.