Thorpe Park Resort - The Future

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Swarm Chris

They certainty need to sort their food offerings out for 2020. Apart from Sombrero's and Wilderness waffles, there isn't anything on offer that in the slightest interests me.

At some point I'm sure they'll add a new ride. The number of rides showing their age now is becoming a little concerning and hopefully not something that will become a larger issue next year. Quantum has opened for only an afternoon this year, Zodiac has recently stopped operation, Flying Fish has had a lot of downtime, Walking Dead is typically on about 3 trains, Tidal Wave water effects have given up and frequently gets stuck with a boat on the hill, and Samurai struggles even on its currently extremely slow cycle. To balance that though, the big rollercoasters have all been on maximum capacity the entire year, which is great and hopefully continues next year.

My biggest hope for improvement is overall crowd control and site access. Car park entry goes wrong as all guests attempt to use a single lane, then exiting goes wrong because the barrier system is still terrible, leaving an awful final impression on guests leaving. Security needs a rethink on throughput, as despite having I believe the largest number of personnel doing bag checks across all of the Resorts, it also has the slowest moving queue by a significant margin across all of the Resorts.
Dom

Swarm Chris wrote:They certainty need to sort their food offerings out for 2020. Apart from Sombrero's and Wilderness waffles, there isn't anything on offer that in the slightest interests me.

At some point I'm sure they'll add a new ride. The number of rides showing their age now is becoming a little concerning and hopefully not something that will become a larger issue next year. Quantum has opened for only an afternoon this year, Zodiac has recently stopped operation, Flying Fish has had a lot of downtime, Walking Dead is typically on about 3 trains, Tidal Wave water effects have given up and frequently gets stuck with a boat on the hill, and Samurai struggles even on its currently extremely slow cycle. To balance that though, the big rollercoasters have all been on maximum capacity the entire year, which is great and hopefully continues next year.

My biggest hope for improvement is overall crowd control and site access. Car park entry goes wrong as all guests attempt to use a single lane, then exiting goes wrong because the barrier system is still terrible, leaving an awful final impression on guests leaving. Security needs a rethink on throughput, as despite having I believe the largest number of personnel doing bag checks across all of the Resorts, it also has the slowest moving queue by a significant margin across all of the Resorts.
Yes about security. Its excruciatingly slow. I don't think we will see a new ride next year though as much as the park needs one. They should focus on everything they already have and make it better again. If we are going to look at rides, Rumba needs to be more exciting. Something I noticed at Liseberg is how a couple of small water cannons or unavoidable water effects like dripping pipes work well and make people actually laugh. If they make the water effects unavoidable, than they wont have people trying to get out of their seats.  The coasters, I can't complain about. They have been working really well and even Colossus has been smoother this year :lol
Swarm Chris

Well Thunder River used to have jets, so it's entirely doable. It feels to me that it used to have a couple of more rapids sections. Now there are about two places where you could get wet: just going into the tunnel; and at the rocks in the viewing area - where it should be noted you can get very very wet here still if you are lucky/unlucky. So long as they don't go cheap and add back in the pay-to-squirt things - I really hate those, despite the amusement that can be had with them. :lol
Luce

I certainly agree about food offerings - sometimes I’ve not fancied some of them although the fish and chips place is ok. My other issue is that Fins menu choice is pretty limited and not enough choice like there used to be.
Coaster Chall

Well, Chessington have plans for 2020 and 2021 now, Alton Towers announces World Of David Walliams, Legoland parks have 2020/2021 plans... Is Thorpe's creative team having a later lie in? Do they need waking up and told "2020 IS ROUND THE CORNER?"
Swarm Chris

I suspect next year will be a Season of Events Mk2. Whilst its not impossible for a late installation of a flat ride somewhere, given no site work has started it's not immediately clear where they would put something, unless Samurai is declared at end of life.

What's interesting is that next year we know Jungle Escape and Fright Nights will be coming back, but fan favourite BounceZilla is perhaps less certain, having been removed from the various Thorpe websites. It's also currently being operated by AirThrill in London, as an indoor attraction for 4-12 year olds.
Swarm Chris

In response to continued criticism over the lengthy delays on exiting the car park, a new parking system has been confirmed for 2020 to prevent site access issues.

Htjc_

Swarm Chris wrote:In response to continued criticism over the lengthy delays on exiting the car park, a new parking system has been confirmed for 2020 to prevent site access issues.

Yes! I would rather have this over a new flat. In my opinion that was the worst part of Thorpe Park but now that's changing I think things will be on the up. I feel like they have started listening to their customers and are trying to go for guest happiness now, hopefully the car park being just the start of the improvements for next season. The park just seems to be getting more well rounded.
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
Coaster Chall

I am glad they'll be bringing in a parking system. I think 2020 will be general improvements and hopefully, 2020 will be the start of construction for a 2021/2022 project
theparklifekid

https://twitter.com/THORPEPARK/status/1191294014948950017

Thorpe has begun to tease for the 2020 season!
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
KaiPhillips

New logo, retheme nobody knows but merlin are private now so...
#1 Schwur des Karnan #2 Taron #3 The Smiler #4 Colossos - KdG #5 The Swarm #6 Flug der Damonen #7 Nemesis #8 Wicker Man #9 Shambala #10 Rock n Rollercoaster (Fl)
#1 Phantasialand #2 Alton Towers #3 PortAventura #4 WDW Hollywood Studios #5 Universal IOA
abigsmurf

For a second I thought there could be some hidden code/message. Putting it back together, looks like they just played around with some effects...
Coaster Chall

https://www.thorpepark.com/blog/infinite-thrills-20-reasons-to-visit-thorpe-park-in-2020
Just saw this... There are mentions of fresh new additions to menus in 2020, something about Coca Cola Freestyle and also at the bottom, We're Initializing... Then underneath, "Watch. This. Space"
Swarm Chris

The menu is something they really need to sort out, especially as one of the few external local alternatives for quality food caught fire this week. Because if it all they're doing is adding new flavour hot dogs, I'll be bringing a packed lunch.

Freestyle looks like just to be a new cup design, which is about as expected, and sits alongside the 2 regular styles, one Fright Night style and one default freestyle design that they had in 2019.

A continuation of the classic merchandise looks interesting, and it looks more likely the Rangers will be making an appearance. I'm still hoping for some Ranger plushes.

Although a mention about that new car park system seems mysteriously absent... :sus:
Coaster Chall

Completely agree and yeah I didn't see anything about a new parking system...

Also, "watch this space is", at least, something to get excited for.
Coaster Chall

I am not jumping to conclusions about anything, but seen this on Instagram. Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Swarm Chris

They cut the grass?

There was no activity on this site during the season, whilst the first image posted appears to be many years old.
Harry347

How big actually is this area? Is it really large enough for a coaster bare in mind it would need to fit a plaza area, gift shop, queue line and station? Doesn't big enough for the large scale investment we all want. Wouldn't be surprised if they did use this land if it was for flat rides or if the just slap a skyrocket II there!
Swarm Chris

The site is certainly big enough, it's similar in size to Swarm Island and the area Nemesis Inferno uses, plus any track can extend into the lake. As such it is one of two remaining sites the park have publicly marked as potential spots for a roller coaster, the other being near the Dome.

There are several remaining sites within the core park where flat rides could be placed and have been considered, so they wouldn't need to expand to install any new flat rides.
Harry347

Yeah I just looked onto google maps and noticed how large the site actually is! I really feel Thorpe has been getting the shortend of the investments over the last few years with all other merlin parks getting investments no matter how big or small they are such as Chessington with Tiger Rock, Room On A Broom and now a new drop tower. Alton Towers had investment with Wicker Man, (I guess nothing new for 2019) and then CCL replacement for next year, it must be Thorpe's turn soon, surely?

What would you guys like to see go in the space?