Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Morgan

Whilst it's sad news to see Rameses departing, it's not a huge surprise that it's leaving the Resort as it's been on it's last legs for what seems like forever! It's great to see a new ride installed at Chessington at long last, and even better that it's a drop tower, which is something the park has always been lacking. The shape of the gondola on the plans makes it look like a Zamperla Sky Tower, which fits with the overall height of the ride being 25m. What's even better is that the Rameses site won't be SBNO for years! It's no secret that the UK has a few flat ride areas that have just been abandoned, so it's really nice to see that there'll be an immediate replacement here.

All in all, fantastic news from the park. Really hoping these plans get approved, and if so, I might have to return next season.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Morgan wrote:All in all, fantastic news from the park. Really hoping these plans get approved, and if so, I might have to return next season.
Upon closer inspection of the planning documents, it appears this would open in 2021, with Rameses removed and Flying Jumbos relocated this closed season, and then construction starting early 2020.
Chris
Admin
Admin

The old trains used to be higher capacity, along with bags not being an issue, no faff with seat belts or larger guests as the restraints were more accommodating.

Trains were easily dispatched within 40 seconds.

The new trains, on top of what always seems to be a large disabled queue utilising the back rows, really are not great for throughput.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Whilst I am pleased to see investment in the park, the amount of thrill rides for older kids really is diminishing.

The Zamperla model mentioned above does look fun, but I would prefer for the ride to be an actual mini shot and drop tower, rather than a glorified frog hopper! Fingers crossed for a Funtime model, as they are great.
Coaster Chall

Someone that reported this on FB, brought up an interesting theory. What if they are relocating Detonator? New investment for Thorpe Park and Chessington World Of Adventures?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Coaster Chall wrote:Someone that reported this on FB, brought up an interesting theory. What if they are relocating Detonator? New investment for Thorpe Park and Chessington World Of Adventures?
It doesn’t appear to be a relocated Detonator as the plans indicate a capacity of 16 riders, compared to Detonator’s 12.
KaiPhillips

Unlikely but certainly not impossible, stranger things have happened than a different gondola going on a relocated attraction. 
#1 Schwur des Karnan #2 Taron #3 The Smiler #4 Colossos - KdG #5 The Swarm #6 Flug der Damonen #7 Nemesis #8 Wicker Man #9 Shambala #10 Rock n Rollercoaster (Fl)
#1 Phantasialand #2 Alton Towers #3 PortAventura #4 WDW Hollywood Studios #5 Universal IOA
Chris
Admin
Admin

So what do we think of Rameses Revenge finally leaving the park?

My preference was that they replaced it with a floorless model from Huss. Shame it was not to be.

Here's some footage we uploaded today that hopefully will bring back some fond memories in years to come.
Harry347

I think it's pretty sad they are taking the only thrill ride out of the park, I know it's not for the target audience but it was still a great ride. Hopefully they move it to Thorpe or do something with it rather than just scrapping it!
Torsie24

Reading the planning - Jumbos to be moved to the site of the original carousel. Much better! 
Dan

Harry347 wrote:I think it's pretty sad they are taking the only thrill ride out of the park, I know it's not for the target audience but it was still a great ride. Hopefully they move it to Thorpe or do something with it rather than just scrapping it!
Rameses won’t be going anywhere except the scrap heap.

Ripsaw was in much better condition when its parts were used for Topspin at Heide Park, and as far as I’m aware that is now closed too.

Rameses Revenge has been on life support for long enough, it’s time to put it out of its misery and let it die.
fantoman

Morgan wrote: The shape of the gondola on the plans makes it look like a Zamperla Sky Tower, which fits with the overall height of the ride being 25m. 

I counted the seats from the plan - 16, which could indicate their Z-max or Z-force models, as the sky tower and flash tower only seat 12! just an observation, not sure how much to read in
Dom

I think when Vampire retires and its time for it to be removed, a family friendly woody could work in that area, especially given its Wild Woods area name. I still think a rapids ride would be amazing at the park, but highly unlikely now I think. 
Chris
Admin
Admin

Here's our new POV of The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure.

It's certainly a must ride for me each time I visit Chessington. Is it for you?
Harry347

Went to get my last ride on Rameses Revenge on Saturday, the restraint apparently wouldn't come down enough on me (I'm 6ft3 with a 34-36" Waist), so I couldn't get my last ride, I did manage to ride it last year though so it's not too bad!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

As posted on SouthParks News, Chessington has submitted plans for a new mini log flume ride as well as a reconfiguration and re-theme of Toadie’s Crazy Cars.

Coaster Chall

I think Chessington will do a fantastic job with this! Now we know Toadies Crazy Cars is staying and it has been given a new lease of life.

I am not sure exactly what theme the area will be, but we know its safari theming throughout both rides
Dom

As long as the hilarious looking chickens stay I’m happy
DoctorAnubis

Aaaah, for a moment I thought the mouth piece of the themeing would be Ammit! Which would have been brutal for the theme park. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammit 

...but I believe it is going to be Sobek.

Let down.
Swarm Chris

As posted on SouthParks social media, the reign of Rameses Revenge comes to an end today at CWOA, performing its last spins at a special event this evening before being removed for a new attraction to take its place in 2021.

Opening in 1995, the ride brought a unique spectacle to the UK, providing entertainment not only for the long lines of people riding it, but for crowds that gathered just to watch it. Throughout the years the appeal of the ride remained, with a generation of families riding or witnessing its spins, water sprays and distinctive sounds.

What were some of your fond memories of Rameses Revenge?