Alton Towers Resort Quick Questions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
ROYJESS

scruffy_ wrote:
ROYJESS wrote:The kids will still be at school on the 15th July, however you will have hit the prime School trip season which will be busier than the summer holidays.  I personally would avoid.

If you are talking about the 15th August, then it will be busy but will be better than the prime school trip season. People tend to go abroad during the first couple of weeks of the summer hols, so that will be your best bet. The park will be busier as the school holidays goes on. 
Schools in England actually start on the 15th July, Wales the week after (22nd) according to here https://www.skyparksecure.com/blog/chec ... -holidays/ 
Only some schools will break up on the 15th of July, but not many.   School holidays varies depending on the individual school and region.  A majority of schools will break up from school around the 23rd of July. The of 15th July will consist of both some kids off school due to school holidays but mostly school tips.

I may be wrong, but do let me know how you get on.
scruffy_

ROYJESS wrote:
scruffy_ wrote:
ROYJESS wrote:The kids will still be at school on the 15th July, however you will have hit the prime School trip season which will be busier than the summer holidays.  I personally would avoid.

If you are talking about the 15th August, then it will be busy but will be better than the prime school trip season. People tend to go abroad during the first couple of weeks of the summer hols, so that will be your best bet. The park will be busier as the school holidays goes on. 
Schools in England actually start on the 15th July, Wales the week after (22nd) according to here https://www.skyparksecure.com/blog/chec ... -holidays/ 
Only some schools will break up on the 15th of July, but not many.   School holidays varies depending on the individual school and region.  A majority of schools will break up from school around the 23rd of July. The of 15th July will consist of both some kids off school due to school holidays but mostly school tips.

I see! I thought all Schools were same throughout a country. Would a weekend or weekday be better? 
Dan

scruffy wrote:
Schools in England actually start their holidays on the 15th July, Wales the week after (22nd) according to here. 
I believe it is just a minority of schools who have week beginning 15th July as the first week of their summer holiday. The most widely observed one will be the week beginning 22nd July (finishing school on 19th July) but I know that a few schools in my local area don’t finish until 26th July.
ROYJESS

scruffy_ wrote:
ROYJESS wrote:
scruffy_ wrote: Schools in England actually start on the 15th July, Wales the week after (22nd) according to here https://www.skyparksecure.com/blog/chec ... -holidays/ 

I see! I thought all Schools were same throughout a country. Would a weekend or weekday be better? 
How long is a piece of string?
If it was me, I personally would avoid Alton this time of the year unless you know how to get in early and entitle to have ERT, get on all the major rides before the queues peak. 
You have several options. 1. You could go during school trip season, and purchase fast track, bear in mind that school kids are unlikely to purchase fast track  ;)  2. Wait until the weekend, I personally find that Sundays are quieter than Saturdays unless there it is a Bank holiday weekend.  3. Wait until the start of the summer holiday and go within the first couple of weeks during the week avoiding a Friday.  4. Or wait until the summer holidays are over. 
As Dan say's most schools hols will start around the 22nd and in my area of Norfolk it starts on the 26th too.  
scruffy_

Oh i dunno what to do now haha i was hoping to go during the week next week as i have a week off but now dunno what to do! i do know 2 people that went yesterday and today and they said the park was busy but ok enough to do all the rides without queuing loads! 

Might actually go this Sunday 

The weather looks awful next week from Wednesday onwards 
ROYJESS

Weather don't look too bad for Wednesday, 30% chance of light rain which might put people off going. Just make sure you are dressed for the weather and remember the weather is a forecast and not a promise. 

Fast track might work better on the school trip days as oppose to the weekend and holidays, as I've already said, school kids are unlikely to purchase fast tracks, so the fast track queues should be shorter during the school trip season. 

I can't say which day will be your best day, I've visited tourist attractions (including Alton Towers) for 2 consecutive days off peak mid week before now to find that each days were polar opposites with regards to crowds level. 

Do let us know how you get on and what the crowds were like
scruffy_

Will do! :)
scruffy_

ROYJESS wrote:Weather don't look too bad for Wednesday, 30% chance of light rain which might put people off going. Just make sure you are dressed for the weather and remember the weather is a forecast and not a promise. 

Fast track might work better on the school trip days as oppose to the weekend and holidays, as I've already said, school kids are unlikely to purchase fast tracks, so the fast track queues should be shorter during the school trip season. 

I can't say which day will be your best day, I've visited tourist attractions (including Alton Towers) for 2 consecutive days off peak mid week before now to find that each days were polar opposites with regards to crowds level. 

Do let us know how you get on and what the crowds were like
We got there around 10.30, got the Monorail to the entrance and there was masssssive queues to get tickets! Having looked at the queue times on the app before even getting into the park, and speaking to a few people I knew who had been few days before about queue times (one said they queued 3 hours for The Smiler), we decided to get the Silver Fastrack pass! I'm so glad we did... we got into the park about 12 and managed all the roller coasters bar Nemesis. All Fastrack, except Wicker Man, was on an hour queue at the end of the day (3.45pm) and in that hour it did break down for 15 minutes or so. As I left the ride the queue to get on it was even bigger! 
All in all, it was a good day out, I hadn't been to Towers in about 8 years? So, a few new additions but also a complete lack of flat rides??
We wouldn't of managed half the roller coasters if we had not got Fastrack even though I think £40 each was a bit expensive considering Wicker Man wasn't on it! (that pass was £60 each I think) The Smiler is definitely my new favourite ride at the park :D 
Last edited by Justin on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ROYJESS

I'm glad you had a great day.  I'm not surprised that there was a queue at 10.30.  1 and a half hours to get into the park?  :O

Yes this time of the season is going to be busy.  April to end of June mid week are usually the best time to visit.  Getting there early is usually the key on busy days.

Yes some great additions, but like you said, the park is lacking in flats and rides for the kids that are too old for CBeebies but too short for the main coasters.
scruffy_

That was the queue for tickets as we hadn't pre-booked any, we did plan to try get there a lot earlier but late having breakfast and such
EthanEjX97

I have recently bought a Premium Season Pass for AT. How do I collect it? I've searched everywhere but can't find any mention of how to collect it.
Nickolai

When you arrive at the resort, go to the ticket booths and show them your reciept etc and proof of ID. They will then give you a ticket to enter the resort. Head down to the Box Office where you can be issued your Premium Season Pass.
Formally Smiler313
swfc96

Having not been to AT in August for a long time, could anyone give me an idea as to what queue times will be like Tuesday? I'm guessing quieter than August weekends but then again, with school holidays is it just as busy weekdays too?
GregH94

swfc96 wrote:Having not been to AT in August for a long time, could anyone give me an idea as to what queue times will be like Tuesday? I'm guessing quieter than August weekends but then again, with school holidays is it just as busy weekdays too?
Generally 30-45 mins at the moment. Wicker Man and Smiler will be the longest at around an hour, only thing longer would be Spinball if it rains. It’ll be the last week of this month leading up to bank holiday where it gets very busy with a possible 6.30 ride close at one point during that week
Mrlee

Hey all, we are visiting for the first time in September, has anyone got any tips on where to head first so we don’t spend most of the day queuing up? The day we go, it’s only open 10-4 so trying to get ideas on how to do as much as possible.
stevebrown

Firstly, welcome to the forum! If it's a 10-4 day chances are the kids will be back at school so will be noticeably quieter anyway.  I've done a 10-4 day before and can comfortably get on everything at least once.  General rule I follow though is work round the park in the opposite direction to the crowds - most people head to Wicker Man first thing.  Start in X Sector (Obivion, Smiler), then walk to Dark Forest (Rita, Th13teen) doing Hex on the way.  If the Skyride is open, take that to Forbidden Valley (Nemesis, Galactica).  If it isn't, walk back to Mutiny Bay for Wicker Man then either walk to Forbidden Valley (doing Rapids, Mine Train and Duel on the way) or get the Skyride to it.  Would always recommend doing Wicker Man in the afternoon because if there are queues, they'll be on that and any initial crowds will have died down by then, plus - and more importantly - it runs faster in the afternoon after it's had time to warm up.  Not to say it isn't fast in the morning though!

Download the app too, that'll give you fairly accurate queue times plus directions and walking times to rides from where you are.

And don't forget, the 4pm closing time is the queue closing time, not the park.  So if you join a 30 minute queue on Wicker Man at 3.59pm, you will get a ride on it.

Have a great day when you go.
Swarm Chris

The only alteration I would make on the above is to do Hex on the way out of Dark Forest, after riding Rita and Th13teen. As Hex will never have a queue, but in the time it takes for you to do Hex, you may find a queue has formed for the other rides. :)
Jacksnoball

Was hoping to take our own alcohol for the evening time as we are staying over, however we can't check in until 3pm so that would mean carrying our bags around the park all day until then, I know we aren't aloud glass bottles or to drink in the park (for good reason) but I'm wondering if we will get in with it to take with us untill check in time? Help would be much apriciated as we don't want to fetch anything if it's going to be took off us upon entry. Cheers.
Swarm Chris

Jacksnoball wrote:Was hoping to take our own alcohol for the evening time as we are staying over, however we can't check in until 3pm so that would mean carrying our bags around the park all day until then, I know we aren't aloud glass bottles or to drink in the park (for good reason) but I'm wondering if we will get in with it to take with us untill check in time? Help would be much apriciated as we don't want to fetch anything if it's going to be took off us upon entry. Cheers.
Alcohol won't be allowed in the park for any reason. However, if you are staying in one of the hotels, they have a porter that bags can be left with before check-in.
TheMerlinMan

I'm just wondering, but does anyone know where to find the voice in the Nemesis queue line?
The one that says "Nemesis! Ride if you dare!" or something like that.
Last edited by TheMerlinMan on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.