The London Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Ladyofthelake

It's been confirmed that the opening date has been pushed back for a fifth time to 2024. There has also been another management change with chief executive Humphrey Percy leaving the project, and being replaced by the original financial backer of the plans, Dr Abdulla Al-Humaaidi. SouthParks News has all the details.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand it is negative that the opening has been pushed back again, however you could argue that it is a more realistic date given the plans haven't even been submitted for approval yet. Whilst on the surface the departure of another chief executive looks bad, the fact that the original backer of the plans has now taken personal control could indicate that things may actually get moving again. I think we could have an interesting few months with this project.
abigsmurf

Someone with their own money in the project has more of a motivation to get things moving (rather than sitting in an office doing the bare minimum to not have the project abandoned whilst collecting a salary).
lewis97
Admin
Admin

As posted on SouthParks social media, London Resort Company Holdings have this week appointed a new director, Alan Crane, in the role of ‘Construction Consultant’.

Perhaps of most interest amongst his extensive experience in the construction industry is his involvement in Euro Disney (now of course Disneyland Paris).

Swarm Chris

Another director... :roll:

Having said that, I have noticed a couple of London Resort stories pop-up recently. Nothing more than the same old UK Disneyland story, but it was odd that it had come up again, as seemingly there has been no public movement to cause them.
abigsmurf

Hopefully he learnt more than a few lessons from the construction of Disney Land Paris...

That said, most of the issues leading up to the opening were down to Eisner. French politicians and French Unions so it would be a much easier job (if this ever happens).
DeadJack5

As reported by SouthParks News, London Resort have announced a new partnership with ITV Studios, paving the way for the likes of Coronation Street, I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!, Thunderbirds are Go!, and Love Island to make their way to the theme park resort.

Are you pleased to see the project partner with ITV Studios?
Aidan Lowe

Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Dan

Well that’s..........uninspiring.

Even if this project does end up seeing the light of day (which I highly doubt) I can’t see it being anywhere near the standard that was originally conceptualised.
PhNx Survivor

I'm actually okay that Wallace and Gromit pulled out, think the Blackpool ride is enough for me :lol

Let's hope it's just an area that can be walked through with shops and such, and not a main area with rides..

Although this is still good news for the park, let's hope things start moving now.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
abigsmurf

You're hardly going to get the important international visitors for Coronation Street. That said, ITV Studios do have some nice IPs from their subsideries. Big Talk Productions are owned by ITV and are responsible for pretty much all of Edgar Wrights' output (Cornetto Trilogy, Baby Driver, Scott Pilgrim vs the World) and could make for interesting rides/shows

I've still a mental image of people sitting in an office doing the occasional agreement for IPs (non-exclusive, no money up front) and filing the occasional paperwork for councils until the investors pull the funding and turn it into apartment blocks.
BenTechy66

If this does go ahead, I really hope they don’t open a ‘Love Island’ attraction. Please, no.
theparklifekid

Updated website

A teaser for the plans were dropped. Shows a few coaster squiggles, one of which I'm pretty sure is a Maurer Spike (weird choice based on how unreliable and apparently boring they are), plus I believe it will go here, based on the planned site.

Honestly, this project is not really doing it for me. Too much behind the scenes and not enough action.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
DeadJack5

As reported by SouthParks NewsParamount Studios are back on board with The London Resort, paving the way for Mission: Impossible, The Godfather and more to feature in the multi-billion pound development on the Swanscombe Peninsula in Kent.

Who’s excited to see Paramount Studios involved in the project again?
PhNx Survivor

I bet they stay for 3 months, then back out again. Let's hope things can now start rolling!
Swarm Chris

The most interesting aspect here for me is actually the people that have been brought in. PY Gerbeau made a name for himself early on in his career fixing major issues within large projects, like Euro Disney and the Millennium Dome. For him to now be in charge, makes me think this project now has a greater chance of becoming a theme park than a housing estate. If he can take on the fairly disastrous Millennium Dome and manage expectations and issues of both politicians and the tabloid media, then a resort in South East London with large financial backing should be fairly simple. :P Plus Paramount must have had a good reason to come back to the project.

It appears at least two other business management and consulting groups have been brought in, covering media interfacing and corporate reputation/public affairs, with the website having already been given an overhaul. I would suspect that they would now be working on all the issues surrounding the planning application, such as communicating with those who currently own or use property within the development area.
Alex

Be interesting to see if the family backing it will actually come up with the capital in the end or if it's still all just talk
Qzzb_UK

The fact that the website has had a facelift is possibly the most that has happened in the last few years! 

I am a local resident - literally ontop of the area they are planning to build in, so wonder if I will start to see some consultations or something like that through my letterbox sometime soon.
abigsmurf

theparklifekid wrote:Updated website

A teaser for the plans were dropped. Shows a few coaster squiggles, one of which I'm pretty sure is a Maurer Spike (weird choice based on how unreliable and apparently boring they are), plus I believe it will go here, based on the planned site.

Honestly, this project is not really doing it for me. Too much behind the scenes and not enough action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=dUoIK3nVLk0
Never heard of the Maurer Spike before. They look like reasonable fun although as it's 100% powered and guessing your speed is constant down the drops so you don't get massive amounts of sensation. 
Wonder if that's two rides over the lake (high speed launch and tidal wave) or just one water coaster.
PhNx Survivor

abigsmurf wrote:
theparklifekid wrote:Updated website

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=dUoIK3nVLk0
Never heard of the Maurer Spike before. They look like reasonable fun although as it's 100% powered and guessing your speed is constant down the drops so you don't get massive amounts of sensation. 
Wonder if that's two rides over the lake (high speed launch and tidal wave) or just one water coaster.
I was gonna say, that one black line over the lake to the right looks like a possible launch coaster.. decent length of launch aswell by the looks of it.. maybe something to compete against Red Force in Portaventura..

Although, it appears to either be a log flume or rapids under the ride, so that's always a plus.. I just hope somewhere there's an RMC!