Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
MakoMania

Did a park that has had its signature ride closed for days just ask to be memed by thousands of guests?

Am I understanding this right?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
RideOpMatt

MakoMania wrote:Did a park that has had its signature ride closed for days just ask to be memed by thousands of guests?

Am I understanding this right?
Apparently so...  :(  They didn't even get the month right on the 'revealing' post. Marketing dept don't deserve a Christmas bonus this year for that car crash of a campaign. 
Htjc_

So it would appear Alton Towers have released a statement saying that Wicker Man is closed until further notice. Maybe it's true that GCI are coming out to survey the problem.

Source: https://www-derbytelegraph-co-uk.cdn.am ... 016925.amp
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
ProfBurp

Htjc_ wrote:So it would appear Alton Towers have released a statement saying that Wicker Man is closed until further notice. Maybe it's true that GCI are coming out to survey the problem.

Source: https://www-derbytelegraph-co-uk.cdn.am ... 016925.amp
It’s strange as there has been no official release as far as I can see other than the same response they’ve been posting on Twitter. Alton Towers/Merlin haven’t actually made any release stating any form of time period or what is going on at all as far as I can see. I am here currently and there is no signage in place anywhere around the resort or any indications the ride is closed, other than via the app/at the ride entrance. It is all rather shady and strange. I would suggest they haven’t given a timescale as they are awaiting GCI to have a look at it, but who knows. The lift hill and service lights were on this afternoon but haven’t been at any other point, which was also interesting to see.
Swarm Chris

I think the "until further notice" term has been written by the reporter, rather than being a statement from Towers itself.

Whatever the issue is, I'm sure all parties involved are working as fast as possible to get it back up and running again.
ProfBurp

Swarm Chris wrote:I think the "until further notice" term has been written by the reporter, rather than being a statement from Towers itself.

Whatever the issue is, I'm sure all parties involved are working as fast as possible to get it back up and running again.
Yes I thought the exact same thing! Like media always is, one paper/reporter has followed another, causing the standard domino effect, when there is no actual official statement other than what comes from the reporter.
Swarm Chris

ProfBurp wrote: Yes I thought the exact same thing! Like media always is, one paper/reporter has followed another, causing the standard domino effect, when there is no actual official statement other than what comes from the reporter.
For sure, once one has written something there'll be a ripple of similar stories. Some of the local papers seem to share stories within a network, so practically the same story will pop up in various places via that as well.

Although, given Towers have said nothing other than they're doing maintenance, technically the statement will probably be true, as chances are the next announcement will be them answering someone to say is open. :P
stevebrown

Don't you just love these amateur-ish "news" articles supposedly written by journalists?  They can't even get the basic facts right.  They say it opened in September last year and that it has 6 stories:

The rollercoaster opened in September last year.

The six-story wooden rollercoaster, which features an impressive human face on one side and ram’s head on the other
So there is 6 stories to the rollercoaster - I've only ever heard the one.  And they say the coaster itself has a human and ram's face on it.  I though that was Big Bob, not the coaster.  Clearly written by someone who hasn't been on the ride, or probably never been to the park and doesn't have a basic grasp of written English.
Liam.W

Think they mean 6 stories in terms of height....

Sorry to rain on your parade :lol
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Swarm Chris

As reported on TowersTimes News, Scarefest preparations are well underway with the exterior of Sub Species: The End Games now almost fully in place, the first selfie board for the recently announced #MemeYourScream promotion has arrived, and the Enterprise queue line has been made more presentable possibly for it returning soon.

Thank you to Dom for all the photos. :)
Mikw

I wonder if Wicker Man's problems are related to the large amounts or rainfall we've had recently? 

I remember all the problems The Smiler has with substinance due to problems in it's pit, Nemesis has had some too.

One of the problems with not being able to build high.
stevebrown

Liam.W wrote:Think they mean 6 stories in terms of height....

Sorry to rain on your parade :lol
Yes I know!  I was being sarcastic about their poor spelling!  :P
wamdue

Quoting the Facebook page here...
[*]The sun is set to shine down on the Towers this weekend and beyond Here's some of our top tips for visiting us when it's tip top & toasty:

Enjoy the peace and tranquility of our shady spots in the Gardens

[*]
Is there not a cheaper place to sit in a Garden?
Swarm Chris

As reported by TowersTimes News, Alton Towers have just announced that Alton Towers Tree Top Quest, Alton Towers Resort’s high ropes course, is set to re-open for the first time since 2017.

Guests will be able to tackle the obstacles and zip wires of the attraction’s two courses from the 13th July.

Are you excited to see Tree Top Quest open again?
Dan says hi

It looks like Enterprise has now opened for this season!
Swarm Chris

Dan says hi wrote:It looks like Enterprise has now opened for this season!
It sure has. :)

As reported by TowersTimes News, having been closed for maintenance since the beginning of the season, Enterprise has reopened today for the first time in 2019. The queue line and surrounding area have received a repaint in recent weeks, and the signage around the ride has been updated to incorporate a Ministry of Joy theme.

Are you glad to see this classic flat ride open once again?
DerpyQuark

I’m pleased that the ride is now open, and that it has a MOJ theme! The only problem with it is that they could have painted it yellow and black, which is the Smiler’s colour scheme.
scruffy_

Dan says hi wrote:It looks like Enterprise has now opened for this season!
Typical it opened the day after I went!
stevebrown

DerpyQuark wrote:I’m pleased that the ride is now open, and that it has a MOJ theme! The only problem with it is that they could have painted it yellow and black, which is the Smiler’s colour scheme.
I like the fact it has it's own colour scheme.  It means the ride has it's own identity but also fits into the bigger MOJ theme.  I wonder if Oblivion will have similar changes?
DerpyQuark

I think it will. But knowing Merlin, it probably won’t happen.