The Future of Hex

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
SJW

Many, many years!
Muppet738

Hopefully many more years my 3 year old daughter loves it but my 9 year old son get scared just queueing for it
N_B

Well, I hope the rumours are false and it's operational next year cos I've finally managed to persuade my sister to come with me, and that's one if about 4 rides she's agreed to go on ](*,)
Master_feedback

Would be nice to have the rain working all the time Ive only. Been on it 1s in the last 3 or 4 years when its actually been working. ... bet lots don't even know it should rain when the thunder and lightning happens!
abigsmurf

Rumours of it being mothballed but it doesn't strike me as a ride that needs replacing. It's fun, unusual and it's a ride to go on to get out of the rain.

I've never seen it broken down and it's in a very limited space that likely has lots of strict planning controls. I can't imagine you could lay foundations in the area with ease to replace it with a AAA attraction. If you wanted a big AAA dark ride, it would make more sense to use the Duel building.

That said, they could upgrade it or re-tool it to something like the Circumotion from Dynamic Attractions.
jaybee85

The only possible reason I could see that they would ever consider to get rid of it would be maintenance cost. It's not like when the effects stop working on other rides. Because the attraction itself IS the effect. And there are a lot of effects elements that all have to sync together to pull off the illusion.

It has a relatively quick throughput, but one of the best designed queues, as the story-telling starts straight away it feels like you are immediately in the experience. And it's a rewarding experience too.

It's one of their best attractions in terms of execution. It's so unique in the UK, and so quintessentially Towers.

Because of it's association with the Towers, both in storyline and physical location, it's pretty permanently embedded into the park and it's culture. Obviously they can't relocate the Towers themselves lol (and there is absolutely no way they'd ever be permitted to demolish them!), and the majority of the attraction takes place within. The show building, which has a relatively small footprint, is located in a part of the park that isn't currently utilised by guests or other attractions anyway, and it's highly unlikely that they will be that pushed for sites for future developments that they would need to resort to expanding out to these areas.

It has the added advantages of being dry in the miserable winter months and cool in the baking summer months. And its also relatively calm and quiet in there too. Those sorts of things do make a difference to some guests.

All in all, I doubt it will be going anywhere anytime soon.
Ben-

It was closed for two days in a row when I went, they told me it would be running later that day, every day I was there. Shame, I can't see it being around much longer.
In case I don't see ya good afternoon, good evening, and good night, ha ha

Formally bendaboss
Swarm Chris

Ben wrote:It was closed for two days in a row when I went, they told me it would be running later that day, every day I was there. Shame, I can't see it being around much longer.
It's odd that it's been down since Saturday. I'm unsure it will open today either.
Dan

Ben wrote:Shame, I can't see it being around much longer.
I’m not sure what is making you say that?

On opening day, Hex was making some unusual noises when the drum got to a certain position during the ride sequence, and I believe it was closed on the Sunday.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is an issue with the drum that means they are awaiting parts/repairs before the ride can re-open.

Hex is a staple of the Alton Towers line-up, and I can’t see it being removed until it has to be, be it that it’s reached the end of its operational life or it becomes too expensive to maintain and operate.
Ben-

Dan wrote:
Ben wrote:Shame, I can't see it being around much longer.
I’m not sure what is making you say that?

On opening day, Hex was making some unusual noises when the drum got to a certain position during the ride sequence, and I believe it was closed on the Sunday.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is an issue with the drum that means they are awaiting parts/repairs before the ride can re-open.

Hex is a staple of the Alton Towers line-up, and I can’t see it being removed until it has to be, be it that it’s reached the end of its operational life or it becomes too expensive to maintain and operate.
I meant I think Hex might be closed for a long period of time, which is weird as it has already had TLC. I didn't mean forever. Sorry for being confusing,

Formally bendaboss
DeadJack5

On the Alton Towers App, Hex is shown as open with a 0 minute queue as of writing this :)
MakoMania

There was a Merlin Magic Making meeting at the conference centre recently regarding Hex. Thanks to Jacob at the event on Saturday for this info!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Bert

Merlin Magic Making has never had nothing to do with Hex, It was built under Tussuads and the 2017 refurb was done under Towers Ents team.

I don’t mean to come off as rude here but, how come MMM had a presentation on Hex? This just makes me wonder what was spoken about.
[Insert Signature Here]
Nickolai

Something creative with the ride probably. I hope not a retheme.
Formally Smiler313
Ben-

DeadJack5 wrote:On the Alton Towers App, Hex is shown as open with a 0 minute queue as of writing this :)
The same thing happened here when I went, the time was 0 mins, but I found out it was actually closed.

Don't trust it.

Formally bendaboss
BenTechy66

When I rode hex today it seemed the show had changed? Felt a lot shorter than before and the lights were brighter than I remember them being which I felt made the attraction worse. I hope MMM haven't been meddling with it!
rctneil

I absolutely love Hex. Beautifully themed throughout with that eerie atmosphere.  My issue with it is the drum itself slips and it (only slightly) ruins the illusion.

This is me being super super critical and 99.9% of guests really will notice notice nor care about it but having ridden this when it was new and compared to now, in regards to the drum and the alignment, the effect/illusion was a lot more powerful and effective.

I can understand that the cost and effort of replacing the drum (which is what I've heard would be required to fix it) would not be terribly effective for them at all, and i'm not asking for that. I just want to know other people's opinion.
cookiee_munster

I think with the advent of projection mapping technology I think the ride could be "plussed" quite a bit during the pre-shows and during the main ride. It's still one of the best themed darkd rides in the UK, plus there's also the legend/tale that strengthens it's tie to the park!