Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dan

Just where are Thorpe going with this style of marketing?

Yesterday’s teaser about the jungle kind of makes sense, with it presumably being related to a replacement for I’m A Celebrity, which if we remember has been removed from the website. But I can’t for the life of me figure out just what ‘bounce’ refers to.
theparklifekid

I just wish Thorpe would just escape this situation they are in. I don't think its helping how they are replying to peoples questions with 'lol funny' gifs.
Thorpe please escape this fantasy you are in.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
ProfBurp

I totally agree! Why does everything have to be so silly, it’s not a very professional way of doing things. I get they are trying to be fun and show that Thorpe is also, but this is not the way to go about it. Also, I don’t know if you’ve seen this worrying logo that was also put in the tweet replies, but please oh please don’t be related and just be a massive coincidence! We don’t need anymore gaming this season!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Swarm Chris

Well we have answers now to the above questions.

A Season of Experiences at Thorpe Park

Not a bad guess it would seem:
Dom wrote:This is a wild shot in the dark, but with the first infinite logo relating to gaming, it got me thinking. Whats something that's game related but can work in a jungle theme and the only thing that comes to mind other than video games is a themed escape room. But I have just remembered Containment exists, so maybe not :lol 
DeadJack5

Jungle Escape sounds fun, if it's as cryptic as Containment then it should be a good addition to the park.

GameFx honestly is not something I would be interested in and being at a theme park doesn't seem like the greatest of ideas. With it being kept in the larkside marquee it's not too full on (like Love Island Lates was)

BounceZilla. It seems extremely generic and seems like the sort of thing that would be announced from a local fairground. Just doesn't really seem that appealing.

Fright Nights standard but with more dates. No real mention of The Walking Dead. I doubt it's anything too important but I know last year it was already mentioned it would still include The Walking Dead branding.

Overall, not really keen on the whole line up for the year but I guess we shall see as it pans out.
Dom

I actually like the idea of 3/4 of these. Fright Nights I’m hoping has a complete overhaul but that’s for a different topic.

Jungle Escape and Bouncezilla just sounds fun and they could just be a laugh to do with your mates. Whilst it’s not the most exciting thing to happen, it’s something different and something new to have a go at.
Swarm Chris

I think there is potential for silly fun at some of these things. With the inflatable area being there during the TTSP event, well...  :-k

But I also think there is potential for some of these to have the quality and feel of a school summer fete. The promotional materials we saw this week don't give me the greatest confidence in this regard.

All of the non-Halloween events appear to have a happier vibe than most of the parks recent installations, so that's a positive. But like Alton Towers, they've removed an attraction and replaced it with a pay-for attraction. Slightly nervous that the thing they want to charge for, was last used as Vulcan Peak of Disappointment.

Overall mixed feeling and not sure these live up to what should be expected from a park like Thorpe. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with Jungle Escape and BounceZilla until we see these things in action. GameFX, no thanks. Whilst Fright Nights is its own thing anyway.
Justin

I hope some effort has been made on Jungle Escape, instead of it just being IAC with a few code pads and pad locks added. If so, I am looking forward to giving it a go!
ProfBurp

We shall see how this turns out, but first thoughts are it could have been a great deal worse! Although they made it out like there were so many exciting events this year and realistically it’s only 3 things happening as Fright Nights happens evey year anyway. I also wouldn’t call Bouncezilla or Jungle escape an event as such. Jungle escape sounds like they’ve basically tried to make use of the IAC attraction, just to fill the gap and make more money, similar to Vulcan Peak....but hey I won’t judge until I’ve actually tried them. Like I said could have been much worse!
Ladyofthelake

SouthParks News now has a full summary of what we know so far for Thorpe Park Resort's 'Seaon of experiences like no other'.

I will be honest and say that my initial reaction was on the negative side, especially given that it also means that there is not going to be a new ride this season. Game FX is definitely not my thing, however as it is in the Lakeview Marquee it won't impact my day when I visit, and if it does attract some new people to the Resort then that has to be a good thing.

Jungle Escape sounds like an interesting move, but at least it does mean that the IAC building will be getting used instead of being sat dormant through the season. It will be interesting to see what they've done with it and I will be trying it at least once. Perhaps Thorpe are testing the water a little with it to see if there is an appetite for an escape attraction outside of FRIGHT NIGHTS, especially given the overall increase in escape room experiences opening across the country.

Bouncezilla does sound like something that will provide a bit of silliness and fun which could prove to be very popular, especially if we get another warm summer. It's not clear if it will be an extra charge, but I do think if it is free then a TTSP takover needs to happen at the June event ;)
Zach

Thorpe park have this morning posted this teaser on social media. With the caption:

Thrill Seeker's Treasure Map

Our beautiful 2019 park map is taking shape! Take a close look. Spot any changes?

From our map to yours➡️ https://bit.ly/2jbugpO 

What could this mean for Old Town? And does this mean we could see project 2020 after all? 
Swarm Chris

I don't quite understand this. They seem to be making a big point that I'm a Celebrity has gone. Umm, welcome to 2019, here's what's no longer here?

Seem to be F&B markers for what was Sticky Sisters and Burger King last year, albeit without stating what is there now.
PhNx Survivor

Ben & Jerry's has taken over that building.

People on Facebook aren't happy :lol
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Swarm Chris

From seeing those comments, I suspect people are matching the 2018 legend to the 2019 map. The former Ben & Jerry's unit is currently sat empty and was far smaller than the Burger King unit in Old Town.

Interestingly, a recent picture shows the Sticky Sisters banner still being up. Although, it also shows a fair amount of Fright Nights equipment in that area left out too.
cubwolf

Parking now £15.00 unless pre booked online and then its £8.00.

Only Premium Merlin Passes get free parking.
https://www.thorpepark.com/tickets-passes/parking
DeadJack5

The parking increase was introduced near the end of the season I think (or around this region).

It's absolutely disgusting how much they are charging at the moment. Alton Towers parking is only £6 and if I'm honest, it's a lot better than Thorpe's parking. Either Thorpe Park need to improve their parking system to justify this high price or reduce the price.
cubwolf

Ah I didn't go last year but the year before that I paid for one day and got the next day free so not all bad.

£15 is outrageous though!
Swarm Chris

The price increase initially occurred around late July last year. There were three levels of increasing pricing: via app, at a kiosk, and at the exit barriers. The idea being that they wanted less people purchasing tickets at the barriers and slowing things down. It's unclear how well this worked, as reports still showed chaos at the exit.

But I'm sure this is being used to fund the promised improvements to the car park and in particular removing the issues of it taking 2 hours on some days to clear the car park.
ProfBurp

Yes they increased the pricing last season just before the summer (Convenient timing yes!) They were due to be improving the exit process from the car park, so fingers crossed that this will work for 2019!
Swarm Chris

Thorpe Park have completed their winter work on Colossus, with it all ready for the 2019 season. :)