Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Doublethink

If they can just pull a Thorpe Park and fix all the broken effects I would be a happy man.

That said I'm going to echo everyone else- more flats going back to Thorpe their years when they added Rush and Slammer as well as Vortex, Quantum and Samurai added a lot to do at the park and took a lot of pressure off of the main rollercoasters.

I hate to say it but a new Topspin would be great... As John Wardley says a great ride should be as fun to watch as it is to ride and I never fail to see Rameses Revenge at Chessington draw a crowd of spectators.
Ismail

Forbidden Valley = Thrill flat
Dark Forest = Family Thrill flat
X-Sector = Thrill flat

One or two would do no harm and they are greatly needed.
Uttox83

Echo the above. New flat rides are a must as the can complement an area if themed well like Ripsaw was in Forbidden Valley. Something along the lines of Vortex and Rush would be a great addition as these are really good thrill rides imo. They are fun to watch whilst waiting in the queue and build up that butterfly feeling before you ride. 
Dungeon-X-Smile

I have a wish for Alton Towers. I wish they'd get some sort of Void style attraction. The Void is a VR attraction where nearly everything you see in the VR, you can feel it. Seeing the success of Void and VR, I think doing something in this vein and completely removing the VR from Galactica would be brilliant. Galactia's VR was an afterthought, and although it could be potentially saved, I doubt Alton will take the necessary steps to do so, which is incredibly sad. But, the incorporation of VR in the park was not misplaced, I think it could be a real success. If they're looking to have attractions where you pay extra, Void would be perfect. They wouldn't even need Alton Towers specific content (although it would be a lot better), and it would be incredible. The Void already has a location at Disneyland in LA, so it has been proven to merge rather well with theme parks. 
Swarm Chris

saw-x-smile wrote:I have a wish for Alton Towers. I wish they'd get some sort of Void style attraction. The Void is a VR attraction where nearly everything you see in the VR, you can feel it. Seeing the success of Void and VR, I think doing something in this vein and completely removing the VR from Galactica would be brilliant. Galactia's VR was an afterthought, and although it could be potentially saved, I doubt Alton will take the necessary steps to do so, which is incredibly sad. But, the incorporation of VR in the park was not misplaced, I think it could be a real success. If they're looking to have attractions where you pay extra, Void would be perfect. They wouldn't even need Alton Towers specific content (although it would be a lot better), and it would be incredible. The Void already has a location at Disneyland in LA, so it has been proven to merge rather well with theme parks. 
Project Helix by Figment Productions sounds like something along those lines. They're expecting to have an installation in the first quarter of next year and have worked with Merlin on a fair few projects before. I wouldn't be surprised to see this turn up in a Merlin attraction somewhere.
Wagstaff04

I honestly think that this year will be like 2015, just new accomadation and an upcharge attraction. 
Goudurix

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201809/6267/

I would love to see Towers buy one of these Shaun the Sheep dark rides from Sally Corp. From the artwork and description released, it looks like it would be a 4D dark ride using tech similar to Ratatouille and I think we're seriously missing something like that in the UK.
If Towers don't go for it, I could see Paultons buying one as a big dark ride is the next logical step for them in my opinion. And of course one would fit in brilliantly alongside Wallace and Gromit at Pleasure Beach. 
Swarm Chris

That article reads like an advert to Merlin, especially given Varney's recent comments on wanting Ratatouille style dark rides in the Legoland parks. Given the IP is far from its prime, it's probably a great fit for Merlin. :sus:

Hopefully one of the parks gets this type of dark ride soon. If not a Merlin park, then Paulton's would be a great location and give Merlin a larger wake up call that they need to up their game.
Goudurix

Swarm Chris wrote:That article reads like an advert to Merlin, especially given Varney's recent comments on wanting Ratatouille style dark rides in the Legoland parks. Given the IP is far from its prime, it's probably a great fit for Merlin. :sus:

Hopefully one of the parks gets this type of dark ride soon. If not a Merlin park, then Paulton's would be a great location and give Merlin a larger wake up call that they need to up their game.
I actually think it's a much more current IP than anything Merlin has used recently, Shaun the Sheep Movie 2 is out next year so it's still popular and has legs.
Swarm Chris

Goudurix wrote:I actually think it's a much more current IP than anything Merlin has used recently, Shaun the Sheep Movie 2 is out next year so it's still popular and has legs.
I did not know that! Good on Aardman Animations! :)
Stan.H

https://twitter.com/MinistryofJoy/status/1059550920181235714

If this were to be true, do you think they'd be able to use some of Galactica's VR on it if the rumours about it switching back to GalacticAIR? However I'm not at all sure about the original rumour for this either, but it'd be pretty neat to see and it'd work as a decent filler attraction! I think 2019 could surprise us regardless of the addition(s) we get or could be getting. 
Ladyofthelake

Considering all the issues DBGT has had, and the fact that DBGT requires a significant amount of operational budget just to open (to the extent that Thorpe could only open it from 12pm each day), I would be very, very surprised if a similar attraction were to be installed at Alton Towers.It is also very doubtful that the VR system from Galactica would be able to be recycled for use elsewhere as a significant part of the VR system would have been tailor engineered for use on a rollercoaster.

I'd be a little cautious with any rumours which are floating around at the moment - the end of the theme park season always brings several false rumours so it just pays to be a little cautious about anything that is said right now. Whilst some decsions will have already been made regarding 2019, there will still be many more things yet to be determined, and some decisions already made could yet be changed - you only have to look at the year The Blade was removed from the map making it seem like it had been removed, when in fact it remained in operation.
Stan.H

I'd rather they spent any extra budget on flat rides, the return of Single Rider, more street ents and TLC continued for yet another closed season. However, I do really hope Merlin give Towers more budget to play with next season, regardless of what is installed (even if it's just The Alton Towers Dungeon). I am optimistic for Towers' future though as I do feel the park is starting to get it's great charm back, despite its flaws. 
Nickolai

Stan.H wrote:I'd rather they spent any extra budget on flat rides, the return of Single Rider, more street ents and TLC continued for yet another closed season. However, I do really hope Merlin give Towers more budget to play with next season, regardless of what is installed (even if it's just The Alton Towers Dungeon). I am optimistic for Towers' future though as I do feel the park is starting to get it's great charm back, despite its flaws. 
This year felt like the park had more character, probably due to Wicker Man, but nevertheless I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully it is not too long before this year's gate figures are released, because I bet the resort have smashed it! With extra profit coming in, like what Stan says, I also hope Towers receive a comfortable budget to really help make all aspects of the park the best they can be, operations wise and aesthetics wise.
Formally Smiler313
DerpyQuark

I agree with you Nickolai. I personally think the magic never went away, but if they could re add the SRQs and add at least 2 new flat rides, that would be good. 
Justin

Alton has its faults, but I am a firm believer it is actually what you make of each visit. People are quick to complain, but when you take a step back, it is a beautiful park with some great attractions.

I think some areas need work to bring them up to standard, but hopefully TLC will continue to showcase improvements/general maintenance.
Swarm Chris

Agree, for me the parks are hugely about what you can make of them. Some parks make it easier than others, by having the ability to hop around things. I think this is what Alton really needs, simple filler things that you can wander into randomly between big attractions.
nicky.borrill

Justin wrote:Alton has its faults, but I am a firm believer it is actually what you make of each visit. People are quick to complain, but when you take a step back, it is a beautiful park with some great attractions.

I think some areas need work to bring them up to standard, but hopefully TLC will continue to showcase improvements/general maintenance.
Well said. 
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The "more surprises" alluded to on this page of the Alton Towers Holidays site are intriguing...
Alton Towers Resort in 2019 is set to be an exhilarating year with the opening of the terrific Alton Towers Dungeons, the return of the phenomenal Wicker Man and more surprises to come!

To top it off, 2019 will see the opening of our brand new accommodation – Stargazing Pods, as well as the return of fan favourite events Scarefest and Fireworks!
Swarm Chris

Park opens at 11am, with rides from 1pm. :sus:

Maybe they could be intending on having more events throughout the year?