Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
hursty

PhNx Survivor wrote:Personally, like many other people, I would like to see something happen with the previous Ripsaw site. With all the new concepts Merlin could choose from, it would be nice to finally have a ride back there.
Ripsaw was a fantastic compact ride that had a great impact on that area (and my shoulders/spine).
What made it so wonderful was the audience that it drew, and that those not on it, could enjoy it.
I always remember a buzz around there when eating my fish and chips #prayforchips

I hope they can install some more flats, but I do hope they can have the same ability to stop guests walking straight past and watch a cycle, to be entertained by it.
PhNx Survivor

hursty wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:Personally, like many other people, I would like to see something happen with the previous Ripsaw site. With all the new concepts Merlin could choose from, it would be nice to finally have a ride back there.
Ripsaw was a fantastic compact ride that had a great impact on that area (and my shoulders/spine).
What made it so wonderful was the audience that it drew, and that those not on it, could enjoy it.
I always remember a buzz around there when eating my fish and chips #prayforchips

I hope they can install some more flats, but I do hope they can have the same ability to stop guests walking straight past and watch a cycle, to be entertained by it.
The amount of places I hear than Alton needs flats, whether it be on here, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube.. Merlin has surely got to have noticed what people are saying?

I agree completely, the excitement of looking up at people’s reactions as the water came closer and closer was not only entertaining to the riders but also for the spectators.

I’ve noticed with some of the newer rides Merlin install that the ride has to be a big flat ride, with a ton of theming.. I don’t know if this is true in every theme park but it just seems that way. I’d much rather go back onto a submission type ride than DBGT for example.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
HoneyBagel

I think Nemesis needs some minor attention. Maybe not on the ride side of things but maybe some refurbishments around certain areas of the queues and ride area. It's quite an old one now but still a favourite of many. Still very smooth running after 24 years.
Coaster Chall

I wonder when Alton Towers will start teasing 2019. I know the Enchanted Village Expansion is between 2019 and 2021 but I don't think that's enough to compliment the ticket sales for the regular season so either CCL retheme or new flat rides in Ripsaw's spot or I've spotted on the map, if you build a brand new fried chicken co. on Submission's site and use the old building for a compact coaster like S&S 4D Freespin or a Skywarp or a compact Mack Coaster
Robert.W

Alton Towers probably won't start teasing 2019 for a while, I don't think. I will be curious to see how they advertise their new Stargazing Pods though. I really don think think there is any way they can make them appealing without also completely misleading pleople into thinking it's going to be some fancy magical experience when it's really not. 

God only knows what's happening with CCL and / or Alton Towers Dungeon... will will any of it even happen?

Swarm Chris

I don't see CCL turning into Dungeons for the 2019 season. There's far too much external work that would need to be done. It took them 6-7 months to redo just the inside theming of Bubbleworks and nominal external work.

But the trademark application really does suggest they want to add it fairly soon, seeing as it was put in at the same time as the pods.
Bert

There is a Sea Life expansion already confirmed for 2019 as well as a heavily rumoured CatCF retheme as well as the Stargazing pods as seen from the planning application.

I'll doubt Sea Life will need planning permission for an extension as it would probably come under the GDO and if there's a CatCF retheme then most of the changes will be indoors so that won't need planning permission.

Also MMM Studios is litterally round the back of CatCF and the area CatCF is completely closed off so it's possible they could be preparing parts of the retheme without making the public aware. 
[Insert Signature Here]
Coaster Chall

Oh wow. Is there any articles about this news because I really want this to be the video for tomorrow
Robert.W

The SeaLife expansion was talked about a while back (right at the beginning of the season) with staff asking visitors wether they'd be interested in penguins, otters or jellyfish I think were the animals mentioned. Good to hear that it seems to be going ahead as planned! 

Got to agree about CATCF, Bert. With the MMM studios right there onsite, they could have been working on the interior of the ride for quite some time already, so all that would be needed is the exterior changed after the season comes to a close. I think it now seems unlikely that we'll see a full CCL retheme now though, seems like a lot of work for one closed season. They could possibly do it for 2020, with it being the parks 40th anniversary.

Coaster Chall

Ah so maybe just Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will be redone. Question is what will come in because IP just seems a waste for a few seasons because Charlie closed through the end of its licensing with Roald Dahl Foundation so something original like a new updated Toyland Tours or something else original and also Twirling Toadstool to return too
Justin

Going off the subject slightly, it would be nice to see some of the figures and props from Charlie auctioned off, if allowed, raising money for Magic Wand!
Coaster Chall

Yeah definitely.
Coaster Chall

I definitely would like to see Charlie rethemed in 2019 and from what's been said on here it is looking likely.

Either a fantasy theme or the most unfortunately likely option is a David Walliams IP. Not big on IP but once they add that, that means that CCL is on the chopping block for 2020. But Coaster Corner could become part of it and add a Mack Powersplash (aka Pulsar at Walibi Belgium) themed to CCL
PhNx Survivor

I could see that happening..

But seriously, the park needs to add 2 new flats at least. Don’t care about themeing, just 2 new concepts that have proven successful in other parks around the world.. the park for older riders is now just a coaster park with the odd 1 or 2 filler rides.

Although saying that I did go into CBeebies Land for the first time on Saturday.. nice change of pace but felt good to get back to the big rides!
Coaster Chall

Yh. An ABC Tourbillon in X Sector and a Sky Flyer type ride in Forbidden Valley would be best but because of the Charlie rumour as well as sealife maybe expanding and Enchanted Village expanding until 2021, I think those would be 2020 editions realistically
Robert.W

Coaster Chall wrote:I definitely would like to see Charlie rethemed in 2019 and from what's been said on here it is looking likely.

Either a fantasy theme or the most unfortunately likely option is a David Walliams IP. Not big on IP but once they add that, that means that CCL is on the chopping block for 2020. But Coaster Corner could become part of it and add a Mack Powersplash (aka Pulsar at Walibi Belgium) themed to CCL
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will be senselessly rethemed into The Alton Towers Dungeon for 2019. The David Williams attraction, which did actually seem to be happening, appears to have been pulled, maybe due to the leak earlier this year – which is actually odd, because most people who heard their ideas were actually pleased with them! But nah, we're getting a dungeon in a kids area, and that kids area probably won't be rethemed in the slightest. And to top it all off, it seems like The Alton Towers Dungeon may actually have an additional entry charge.

PhNx Survivor

Robert.W wrote:
Coaster Chall wrote:I definitely would like to see Charlie rethemed in 2019 and from what's been said on here it is looking likely.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will be senselessly rethemed into The Alton Towers Dungeon for 2019. The David Williams attraction, which did actually seem to be happening, appears to have been pulled, maybe due to the leak earlier this year – which is actually odd, because most people who heard their ideas were actually pleased with them! But nah, we're getting a dungeon in a kids area, and that kids area probably won't be rethemed in the slightest. And to top it all off, it seems like The Alton Towers Dungeon may actually have an additional entry charge.
Knowing Merlin.. this is probably what will happen :(
Coaster Chall

Oh god. Please no. The Dungeon needs to be near the hotels as a seperate attraction or something in part of the Towers. A kids area is a kids area not a dungeons theme
Coaster Chall

If the Alton Towers Dungeon was to be in the park, I could only see them replacing Sub Terra instead because of the theme. They'd only be expanding the building into the tree clearance in Forbidden Valley but hopefully not. I wanna see a Mack triple launch coaster in that tree clearance.
Robert.W

I'm 99.9% certain that The Alton Towers Dungeon will be located in the former CATCF ride building, and not Sub-Terra. Someone who works for MMM recently said that that's where they are planning to put The Alton Towers Dungeon – and the fact that Alton seem to have panicked and just gone with any old IP they can get their hands on, without any consideration as to how it can successfully be intergrated into the park. If the Walliams deal did indeed fall apart, then I can totally see why Alton would have panicked and rushed into getting any old IP so that they will still have an attraction to open next year.