The World of David Walliams

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Justin

I could buy into the Storybook idea if it was quirky and themed to a high standard. The area is brightly coloured already, so that would save Alton some money when it came to reworking the area.

I still think a magical Harry Potter style (Not IP) area would work well, but your idea may be more appealing to those families inbetween CBeebies and thrills.
Robert.W

Yeah, the Storybook Land idea could really work, I think. They should make it bright but not too bright. I always feel at Alton, things are made purposely either too dark, or too bright, and it kinda forces the theme upon visitors, and distracts from the fact that things aren't always done to the high quality that Towers deserves.

As for changing CCL, I really would like to see the façades completely remodelled. Please not another new coat of paint in bright colours with a few painted details and Leek Signs (as good as they are, we already have loads!) plastered all over the place. Whatever replaces CCL must be done to a very high standard. It must have lots of details and feel more authentic than the likes of CCL. The new area really needs to be aimed at a family audience, it needs to be quirky, but not garish and tacky like the current CCL. They don't even need to get new rides – just retheme the ones they've got, then get a new flat for an expansion in 2020. 

The area is actually one of the only areas of the park where they have to space to create a truly immersive area, I really don't want them to miss out on that chance. Obviously I'm not expecting Phantasialand level of theming, but on a Europa Park level, I think it's realistically achievable. 

Obviously a Storybook Land theme is a bit general, so if they were to go along those lines, they could take a veriety of different books and characters that appeal to families. It's a theme that really would give them the opportunity to expand on their family ride line up – the only category where I feel there is a slight lack of rides for.

Phild94

I think the Storybook land is nice, but the only recently removed a very similar concept to put in CBeebies land. Removing the Storybook work, old Macdonald etc.

A really interesting theme would be to go very steampunk for CCL, loads of smoke, steam and whistles, but obviously not another dark theme.

It could make for some great performance opportunities and all the rides could stay, but with a retheme to each.

CATCF > Robot Factory
Frog Hopper > Jet Packs
Driving School > Steam Engines
Ice Age > Slapstick Steampunk Show
Carousel > Mechanical horses

I don’t know if any theme park which has executed this idea right and would make for a great experience, especially with actors and a full facade retheme.
Tom170499

Something themed around the Enchanted Village would work really well in CCL. 
Justin

Phild94 wrote:I think the Storybook land is nice, but the only recently removed a very similar concept to put in CBeebies land. Removing the Storybook work, old Macdonald etc.

A really interesting theme would be to go very steampunk for CCL, loads of smoke, steam and whistles, but obviously not another dark theme.

It could make for some great performance opportunities and all the rides could stay, but with a retheme to each.

CATCF > Robot Factory
Frog Hopper > Jet Packs
Driving School > Steam Engines
Ice Age > Slapstick Steampunk Show
Carousel > Mechanical horses

I don’t know if any theme park which has executed this idea right and would make for a great experience, especially with actors and a full facade retheme.
Simple solution here! Tie it in with Sir Algernon's adventures. You then have a themed hotel without no effort and a brand new area using an existing theme!
jackf1tz

Justin, Phil, you've hit the nail bang on the head there. Sir Algernon's adventures are crying out for a new vehicle and could be tied in nicely with new explorer/ voyager rooms like desert, or arctic in the AT Hotel.
TheBeornen

That is actually such a good idea guys, it would really fit into the story of the AT hotel but also in my opinion a lot of the marketing over the last 10 years (excluding new rides) have been quite steampunk-lite. 

A whimsical steampunk land would actually be amazing.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Phild94

TheBeornen wrote:That is actually such a good idea guys, it would really fit into the story of the AT hotel but also in my opinion a lot of the marketing over the last 10 years (excluding new rides) have been quite steampunk-lite. 

A whimsical steampunk land would actually be amazing.
Thanks!

Let’s just hope that ATR run with it! Of course I won’t push any design copyright infringements for utilising my ideas ;)
Justin

I'll waver my contribution to the idea too :lol
TheBeornen

It's like one of those ideas where I'm like, "It's such a great fit, why has no one else thought about this yet?"

Be Chosen...
Robert.W

Ahh, I've seen the Sir Aglenon / steampunk idea brought up a few times on other forums. In fact, it had already been mentioned briefly a few pages back in this topic! Sorry guys :P

That said, it's definitely what I think they should theme the area too. It just makes sense to go with that style of theme, or even use the Sir Algenon theme they already have at the Resort!

TheBeornen

Ah well it's still a great idea. 

Be Chosen...
Bert

Credit: Theme Park Worldwide

These markers have been spotted outside Ice Age 4D's old exit.
Last edited by Dan on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Linked to source
[Insert Signature Here]
Robert.W

Oh nice find! Seems pretty promising that they'll be doing something with the area next year. Certainly needs something doing. The TLC felt very much like a quick fix to make it mildly presentable for the 2018 season.

Coaster Clan

I believe it should become part of Dark Forest, they could possibly invest in adding SW9 there as well.
'Sit Back, It's Fright Time!'
Stan.H

I disagree with that, if CCL was merged into DF not only Merlin would have to pay out in order to theme all of CCL, it'd also be taking away one of the major family areas on the park changing a happy vibe area into a darker and more sinister one. CCL should stay how it is, but obviously needs investment in terms of family flats and a replacement dark ride for CatCF.  
cookiee_munster

Yes, Yes, 1000 Times Yes! :)

CBeebies Land has really surprised me with how well they've been able to pull it all off. But i'd much rather the park stay away from IP's The thing with an IP is it can lose popularity after a couple of years and so becomes a burden for the park to keep updating its rides and attractions. With an original story and theme it shouldn't become as stale as something that's "in the fashion" right now.

Love the idea of Sir Algenon. His character is already established within The Alton Towers Hotel, so all they need to do is give the character more presence and make him a really likeable character and I can see rides and attractions based on him and his inventions/journeys lasting a hell of a lot longer than whatever IP based character they've put in a lot of the rides and shows in CCL.
jackf1tz wrote:Justin, Phil, you've hit the nail bang on the head there. Sir Algernon's adventures are crying out for a new vehicle and could be tied in nicely with new explorer/ voyager rooms like desert, or arctic in the AT Hotel.
TheDuke

Though I'd really like an expansion on DF just to fit a bigger coaster in I don't know how they'd merge the two areas but also I like how small DF is I think replacing Rita would be a better option for DF.

I really like the idea of the sir algernon adventure theme as it could be aimed at all audiences rather than just a younger theme.
abigsmurf

Don't think they can get away with extending Dark Forest into it, it'd make the park theme overall a bit too oppressive. The park needs a new 'whole family' area. Something that's not as kiddie as CBeebies but not as intimidating as Dark Forest.

I think honestly they've got to look at Avatar land and Harry Potter. A heavily themed area with a high tech family ride. A Doctor Who area for example, where you could buy expensive Sonic Screwdrivers to activate a bunch of neat effects around would be a money spinner. 

Would Merlin put that kind of money down though? 
Justin

With the possibility of Alton adding a Dungeons to the Charlie building, where does Walliams World stand with this plan? The rumoured Gangsta Granny sewer ride was rumoured to go here too, but only one (If at all any) can go in its place?
Is the Walliams idea a red herring and will we see something different replacing CCL?