Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Justin

I'm pleased I gave it a miss too. I don't think it would be a good day to go. Hopefully it is better in the week.
ThemeParkEwan

Wicker Man is back up with a 120 min queue.
Justin

Some of the TowersTimes team were present at the official opening ceremony of Wicker Man. Here are a few pictures from the day.

Dannyski

Well on a positive note, a very impressive ride.

On a not-so-positive note, horrendous operation today. Initial queue time was 3 hours, then they emptied the queue line. Went back with the fast pass and we waited another hour 15.

I was hoping with these being a pretty standard set up in terms of hardware (and the soft openings), that this would be a smooth opening...alas not.

Anyone have any clue what the issues were? It kept stopping on the lift hill and they’d blocked off the middle seats in station...
ThemeCrafter264

I read somewhere there are issues to do with breaking on one of the trains, so weighing trains had something to do with the closed rows.
Justin

I've heard that too. It seems to be overshooting. No doubt they'll be working on it over the next couple of days when the park is closed.
JC13

Justin wrote:
Can we just appreciate how BAD this photo is? Saw this on facebook and thought “God no, didn’t even realise they took a photo of me.” It can stay, i just find it quite amusing
homer22422

I have been a bit nervous the last few days as I am going to Alton Towers on Thursdays.

I am not nervous of the ride itself but on the fact that if I am going to fit on the ride as I admit I am a bit overweight.

Should I be nervous or am I worrying about nothing?
Tom170499

homer22422 wrote:I have been a bit nervous the last few days as I am going to Alton Towers on Thursdays.

I am not nervous of the ride itself but on the fact that if I am going to fit on the ride as I admit I am a bit overweight.

Should I be nervous or am I worrying about nothing?
Alex from TPW is over 6’ tall and he said himself that he fit comfortably into Wicker Man, even with a larger belly to paraphrase what he said, so you should be fine.
Mew

Wicker Man was continuing to run until about 8pm yesterday and I got on one of the last rides. I wasn't expecting it to continue to stay open two hours after all the other rides were closed and no one but those queuing for Wicker Man were in the park. Do they usually do this with new rides? I'm quite glad I actually got a ride in the dark on it, and it was a great ride, but I found it a bit strange that it was open when the rest of the park was deathly silent. 
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The policy with any of the attractions is that, provided a guest enters the queue-line prior to the advertised ride close time (i.e. 6pm yesterday, after it was extended), they will have the opportunity to ride, as long as there aren’t any major technical issues. Often when a major new attraction opens, this means it staying open later than anything else in the park.
Wolverine0492

Whats the queue lines like in the week?

Hopefully going mid week in a few weeks
ThemeParkEwan

Wolverine0492 wrote:Whats the queue lines like in the week?

Hopefully going mid week in a few weeks
Today (bare in mind its easter holidays for some people) im pretty sure wicker was 60, so expect that to probably be the max
Dan

Given Wicker Man has only just opened, it’s very difficult to estimate what the queue time will be like.

I’m sure it peaked at around 90 minutes today, and only a handful of schools are off. The majority break up from Thursday onwards so I would say that next week will be the busiest week of the holidays, as that’s the week when all schools are off.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the queue time peak at 120/150 minutes on the busiest of days.
Chukensky

I was there today, managed to squeeze in 3 rides on Wicker Man. Most I queued was 40 and that was at park open, the next was 10 mins and the next around 30. I kept seeing the times dip down to around 10-15 mins on the app though.

On a side note, anyone know why the Wicker Man statue had no mist today? It was working on Saturday?
Nickolai

It is likely Merlin saving money or poor quality of effects. Where abouts did you join the queue at the times you rode?
Formally Smiler313
Robert.W

There was some mention of an issue with the mist where it was instead squirting out water, it may be possible that they've turned it off until they have it fixed.

Wolverine0492

Thanks for getting back to me. As long as I get 1 ride I'll be happy :)
Chukensky

First time (40 mins) was just by the shop, second time (10-15mins) was underneath the lift hill and the third (30 mins) was around the shop, just faster operations I assume.

To be honest, I was hit in the face a few times by large water droplets, so I don’t mind if it’s temporary whilst it’s being fixed. Also, today, on one of the pre shows, the lights didn’t turn off when they should have so a lot of the effects were revealed.
Annabel96

Would anybody be able to tell me the quickest way to get to Wicker Man from the park entrance in the morning? I know there’s the usual way of walking past the towers over the bridge to Mutiny Bay, but I remember you could walk past skyride and round the back of Mutiny Bay, just not sure if this route is still available