Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Wagstaff04

I have looked for the app on the Apple App Store, but it seems to be gone. Is this right?
Ladyofthelake

Wagstaff04 wrote:I have looked for the app on the Apple App Store, but it seems to be gone. Is this right?
It seems to be rolling out the update gradually so it's showing for some people but not others. I'm sure everyone will be able to see it in the next couple of days :)
Nickolai

At the moment, weather isn't looking very good for opening weekend :( https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2657407
Formally Smiler313
Dan

Smiler313 wrote:At the moment, weather isn't looking very good for opening weekend :( https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2657407
At the moment, the biggest factor will be the cold, as it’s currently only showing a small amount of snowfall early on Saturday morning, which won’t have any impact on the park opening. If anything, the cold temperatures early in the morning may affect ride availability, but it all depends on exactly how cold it gets.
Kraken

Dan wrote:
Smiler313 wrote:At the moment, weather isn't looking very good for opening weekend :( https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2657407
At the moment, the biggest factor will be the cold, as it’s currently only showing a small amount of snowfall early on Saturday morning, which won’t have any impact on the park opening. If anything, the cold temperatures early in the morning may affect ride availability, but it all depends on exactly how cold it gets.
Nemesis, Galactica & (I assume Oblivion as it's B&M) are not supposed to run if it's below 3C, as the low temperature affects the performance of the brakes.  You can bet that Alton Towers will take no chances for obvious reasons.  Weather issues are the one time the park & staff will be specific about a ride closure / stoppage, as guests can complain as much as they like about the weather as it's beyond the parks control.  
MakoMania

^I'm not so sure, I've ridden Oblivion & Nemesis when it's been snowing in the past. It needs to be colder than 3°C to snow.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Tom170499

Air used to run in the snow during FHT. It’s Rita and Th13teen that have issues with the cold I believe, due to the use of magnetic breaks I presume. 
Kraken

MakoMania wrote:^I'm not so sure, I've ridden Oblivion & Nemesis when it's been snowing in the past. It needs to be colder than 3°C to snow.
Well it is in the ride assistant (as it was in 2002) manuals for both Air & Nemesis that they can cease operation of the temperature falls below 3C.  Whether this is for rider comfort as opposed to safety is not clear, but other weather conditions such as extreme high winds are listed too (which clearly is for safety / to avoid the risk of a train not completing the circuit).  I am fairly sure I've been on Nemesis at Winter Weekends some years ago when it was probably below 3C.  
The mechanical brakes on a B&M ride use similar materials to those used on railway train brakes - and trains run in temperatures much lower than 3C.  (We'll leave how reliably they run open to debate though!)  In theory, magnetic brakes should not be affected by the weather as there are no moving parts on the actual brake fin (if it's static, e.g. the magnets on the first drop of Th13teen).  Of course if the fins have to be raised / lowered, e.g. Rita's launch, then moving parts that may not like the cold are present.  
streetmagix

I would guess that closing in cold temperatures is more for guest comfort, they also (at Thorpe anyway) have a pre-recorded announcement if it's raining that the ride may be uncomfortable.

Phantasialand say they can run Taron (Intamin LSM) and Black Mamba (B&M) at -10c! Although that was during their Winter Season so they may have changed grease/wheels/brake elements, something that's not really possible just for the odd day of cold weather. 
Dan

I remember visiting in FHT a few years ago when there was snow on the ground and temperatures struggled to get above freezing, yet Nemesis and Air were operating.

The biggest issue, if it is as cold as is forecast, will be getting the rides open first thing. Once they’re warmed up and running everything should be fine, but it’s getting them open in the first place that will be the struggle. Of all the rides at the park, I imagine The Smiler and Rita are the ones at real risk from not opening.

Whatever happens, it’ll be good to get back on the park :)
Mikw

So, with the weather predicted to be 1 Celsius all day, with snow forecast and wind gusts in excess of 30mph will anything be open at all?

I'm going on Saturday for the first time in 15 years, on my own, I'm already nervous, then I saw the weather forecast!
Dan

Mikw wrote:So, with the weather predicted to be 1 Celsius all day, with snow forecast and wind gusts in excess of 30mph will anything be open at all?

I'm going on Saturday for the first time in 15 years, on my own, I'm already nervous, then I saw the weather forecast!
At the moment there isn't any snow forecast for the park on Saturday (there is a small chance it could snow overnight but not anything like enough to affect park opening)

Ride availability will be largely dictated by how cold it actually gets. If the forecasters are right then they may struggle to get some of the rides open.

However, I am optimistic that Wicker Man will still open, given that Europa Park manage to operate Wodan over the winter.
PhNx Survivor

Since it is opening day and Wicker Man opening day, I suspect half 8 is a good time to get to the park for ERT.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Dan

PhNx Survivor wrote:Since it is opening day and Wicker Man opening day, I suspect half 8 is a good time to get to the park for ERT.
I'll be there from half 7 :P
PhNx Survivor

Dan wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:Since it is opening day and Wicker Man opening day, I suspect half 8 is a good time to get to the park for ERT.
I'll be there from half 7 :P
Jesus! I’ll make it 8 then just in case :lol
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
krug

Weather isn't looking good. Should I be concerned about multiple ride closures on Saturday?
Dan

krug wrote:Weather isn't looking good. Should I be concerned about multiple ride closures on Saturday?
The BBC forecast is just showing that it’ll be cloudy all day with no snow. With the cold weather predicted, I’d expect some disruption to ride availability, especially in the morning.

EDIT: Alton Towers are telling people on Twitter that they expect the park to be open as normal, and that they’re anticipating a full ride line-up:
We anticipate a full ride line up this weekend. Please watch our website and Social Media for any updates.
demz_4

Hearing from multiple sources that nemesis is going to be running a 1 train service all season! This is not going to be a fun season with all the budget cuts really starting to affect queue times. I remember it running a 1 train service once before, and with only small visitor numbers it was taking 45mins from the bridge next to the loop. Praying this is all rumours
streetmagix

Well that's just depressing. Even if it's false it shows that Alton Towers have been such a reputation for cost cutting that we would believe it.
Stan.H

I can see Towers running Nemmy on 1 train during off-peak times, then 2 during peak times. However, either way, they should be doing everything they can do to maximise great efficiency and operations; however, if these rumours are true I won't be very impressed at all - especially after SRQ's being removed from TH13TEEN & The Smiler. With that being said, I'll have an open mind with it (if it is true) and will not be happy if I'm queueing 45 mins from the bridge! At least we will shortly see!