Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
TheDuke

I'm blown away frankly. Everything in the footage I've seen just looks amazing all and all the themeing soundtrack seem to all blend together and just create the theme so well. The coaster looks very smooth running. All and all very happy with it and for the park and its future. Can't wait to you all ride it and hear what you make of it.
TheBeornen

Wow I was not expecting all of this today, I am completely blown away.

The soundtrack sounds absolutely fantastic and the whole area looks outstanding and I don't have words that describe the station.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
thekitkatshuffler

Fingers crossed they're planning to paint this eyesore...

Ladyofthelake

If you are referring to the metal bar then I can confirm that is due to be painted before 17th March :)
Danny

thekitkatshuffler wrote:Fingers crossed they're planning to paint this eyesore...

Which aspect of that photo are you referring to as an ‘eyesore’?

The fencing? The metal support beam? The highly themed sound tunnel that most wooden coasters lack? Am I missing something?
Bert

Out of interest, Can someone confirm if it has seatbelts or not?

I'm interested in finding out but so far I can't see any! :D
[Insert Signature Here]
Ladyofthelake

Bert2theSpark wrote:Out of interest, Can someone confirm if it has seatbelts or not?

I'm interested in finding out but so far I can't see any! :D
There are no seatbelts on the train, just lapbars. In my opinion this is the right choice :)
Froboi

Themepark worldwide posted this queue walk through. It's very impressive. Also seeing the coaster in action carrying passengers is amazing. The theming is epic.

No bursts of flames on train pass through a though?

Stan.H

Regarding everything shown and revealed today, I am very very impressed! I really like the soundtrack, and I feel it fits the theme very well, and I'm looking forward to hearing the entire loop. Although it's not as good as Smiler's or Galactica's I still feel its very good, and IMAscore have done a fab job!  The ride itself looks absolutely amazing, and I bet the area will look 100 times better in a few years down the line after the trees planted have grown. The queue line also looks very detailed and immersive (to an extent) and it obviously is better over a wooden cattle pen. Also, the station looks absolutely stunning as well - and I can't wait to be in there in just about a weeks time.   Finally, I think there is still a few things that have been left a secret (for a reason), especially the pre-show, which has had almost nothing said about it - which definitely has made my 'hype level' rise even further than it currently is, I think Alton is on to a winner!! 
Yappo

Thanks to that great big red banner with all the runic writing on (which I first saw in a photo that didn't show under it, and I worked on translating it before then seeing in another photo that the translation was right underneath it!) we now finally have X and Z to complete the full set! I'll have to update my font now...

Relieved to hear we're getting a lot of positive reports from this press event, and all the new photos and footage emerging show off just how fantastic it all looks. Love the soundtrack too - would've preferred it without the Hall of the Mountain King tune though, it kinda breaks the immersion, and it's odd as no other rides at the park use that tune in their soundtrack, usually it's reserved for the "generic" areas like Towers Street and then the more themed rides and areas have their own unique tunes... But nevertheless there are some fantastic parts of the soundtrack that are unique to the ride and memorable enough, I love the epic choirs towards the beginning, and my absolute favourite bit is the hurdy gurdy tune that starts about halfway through. I prefer it to Galactica because it's less generic, and I prefer it to Smiler because it's less annoying :P
Created with my unofficial Beornen runes font, available here.
Justin

Yappo wrote:Thanks to that great big red banner with all the runic writing on (which I first saw in a photo that didn't show under it, and I worked on translating it before then seeing in another photo that the translation was right underneath it!) we now finally have X and Z to complete the full set! I'll have to update my font now...

Relieved to hear we're getting a lot of positive reports from this press event, and all the new photos and footage emerging show off just how fantastic it all looks. Love the soundtrack too - would've preferred it without the Hall of the Mountain King tune though, it kinda breaks the immersion, and it's odd as no other rides at the park use that tune in their soundtrack, usually it's reserved for the "generic" areas like Towers Street and then the more themed rides and areas have their own unique tunes... But nevertheless there are some fantastic parts of the soundtrack that are unique to the ride and memorable enough, I love the epic choirs towards the beginning, and my absolute favourite bit is the hurdy gurdy tune that starts about halfway through. I prefer it to Galactica because it's less generic, and I prefer it to Smiler because it's less annoying :P
Please feel free to share the font. I'm sure many would appreciate it. :)

With regards to Hall of the Mountain King, it is actually present within The Smiler's soundtrack and I'm sure Galactica's soundtrack too.
Yappo

Oh really? Well evidently I've never noticed it in those before which means it's probably incorporated a lot better and more subtly, which I'd have preferred here :lol

I've shared the font before, it's here, though yeah it's missing the X and Z, for now. It's how I made my signature actually, speaking of which, has anyone figured out what it is yet? ;)
Created with my unofficial Beornen runes font, available here.
Robert.W

Justin wrote:
Yappo wrote:Thanks to that great big red banner with all the runic writing on (which I first saw in a photo that didn't show under it, and I worked on translating it before then seeing in another photo that the translation was right underneath it!) we now finally have X and Z to complete the full set! I'll have to update my font now...

Please feel free to share the font. I'm sure many would appreciate it. :)

With regards to Hall of the Mountain King, it is actually present within The Smiler's soundtrack and I'm  sure Galactica's soundtrack too.
Yep, Hall of the Mountain King is in Galactica's soundtrack, it's also in Spinball's as well :)

Phild94

Yappo wrote:Oh really? Well evidently I've never noticed it in those before which means it's probably incorporated a lot better and more subtly, which I'd have preferred here :lol

I've shared the font before, it's here, though yeah it's missing the X and Z, for now. It's how I made my signature actually, speaking of which, has anyone figured out what it is yet? ;)
“Some BODY once told me....”

Only just noticed and that’s brilliant haha

I’m still looking forward to seeing a full train going round the track as hopefully this will give it that final blast of speed around the wickerman turnaround
DeadJack5

After yesterday's press event, I can't safely say it is looking to be a great addition to the park on looks alone. The soundtrack is great, a lot more subtle I feel for background audio and the typical hall of the mountain King melody I feel isn't too pushy.

The ride alone looks incredible, the structure is just eye catching and what I've seen of the queue line and ride area, it looks a lot better than we have seen in previous rides.

Roll on a week tomorrow where we will all be chosen...
Phild94

I was listening to the radio today and they were discussing Wickerman after the press release...

One of the things they said was that the ride music changes depending on your position in the queue, starting very upbeat and festival atmosphere and getting darker until you reach the station building. Should make great listening!
simononestop

did Katie on the video get to ride it? pre show?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

simononestop wrote:did Katie on the video get to ride it? pre show?
Everyone who attended yesterday had the opportunity to experience the ride, including the pre-show.
simononestop

any reviews? every one is quiet   :-#
Dan

simononestop wrote:any reviews? every one is quiet   :-#
There will be further content from yesterday’s event released over the coming days.

The general consensus from those that have ridden it are that it is exceptionally themed, a great ride experience and, on the whole, a fantastic addition to the park.