Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Justin

Zach wrote:
Justin wrote:I really like that. It neatens that side up so much!
Means no short cut at the end of the day though ;) my poor legs!
It was hardly open anyway :lol
Dan

We have opening times!! For the first 4 weeks of the season anyway.

10am-5pm on weekends and during the Easter Holidays. 10am-4pm on the off-peak weekdays in March.

Justin

No surprises there, to be honest. Hopefully, they'll extend some opening times either on the day or throughout the season.
DeadJack5

Maybe they are just trialing these opening times to see how it floats with the public and planning the rest of the season with regards to the theme park.

But hey, we have some closing times!
Zach

They have said that they will assess the volume of guests and demand, then based on that look at extending hours on the day.

So what could be 5pm now on opening day could end up being extended if it’s busy and the demand is there.
razgriz33

I work airport security, regards bag search:
Expensive but increases flow - grab an old bag scanner from an airport (there's going to be a few kicking out soon due to DFT requirements)

They had them at an airshow i attended rather impressed with the equipment for a temporary venue... with AT not requiring the same standards at the CAA shouldn't require special training, just the basics. Easy peasy :)
Kraken

Alton Towers have had bag x-ray machines & metal detectors in situ on the "family friendly days" (a/k/a the two known Traveller days) in the past.  Alton Towers are pretty lucky in that they have that nice undercover area immediately inside the entrance turnstiles to keep all the equipment dry from the elements.  (Look at the "temporary" tent style structures that the likes of Disney & Universal have had to put up to keep their metal detectors dry).  

Personally, given the current climate re: security, I can see bag x-rays / searches & metal detectors being more and more common at all entertainment venues in the UK.  
Zach

Posted on the Merlin Annual Pass Facebook page this morning - Single dates specific for each attraction. 

Passholder Wizards!

Lookout for an EXCLUSIVE 20% DISCOUNT on your Annual DigiPass! 

The Annual DigiPass unlocks ride and walkabout* photos digitally for the whole year across all our Resort Theme Parks (excl. Warwick Castle), now from only £30pp**!

This offer is limited to the following locations when purchased on these dates***:
-        Official LEGOLAND Windsor on the 9th March 2018
-        THORPE PARK Official on the 18th March 2018
-        Chessington World of Adventures Resort on the 10th and 11th March 2018
-        Alton Towers on the 17th March 2018

For these days and locations only, a Family DigiPass is priced at £30pp, and an individual DigiPass is priced at £40pp.

razgriz33

Kraken wrote:Personally, given the current climate re: security, I can see bag x-rays / searches & metal detectors being more and more common at all entertainment venues in the UK.  
Honestly, I can too.
It's not overly difficult to implement, not that steep of a learning curve to train an operator to recognise things + threats on x-ray. It's quicker and you can spot more on an x-ray than a bag search.
krug

Now we know Wickerman will be open on the 17th, I'm planning my visit.  Anyone any idea what time i should get to Alton so I can get in the park on time for ERT with my annual pass? I know the monorail opens at 9am, but I assume there will be a queue. Any experienced first day goers who can offer any advice? I'm sure there must be plenty of you, ha.
Liam.W

If I book a hotel at Alton Towers but don’t get park tickets included with it and bought them seperately, do I still get ERT?
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Dan

Liam.W wrote:If I book a hotel at Alton Towers but don’t get park tickets included with it and bought them seperately, do I still get ERT?
I don’t think so. I believe it’s only park tickets booked as part of a short break, so you’d have to book them together to be entitled to ERT.
streetmagix

Depends if you're there on a weekend or weekday. When I've been on a weekday (out of season) the queue for the monorail has been no more than about 15 minutes. I think the car park opens at 0830 (I think) so maybe aim for then, there's a small cafe by the monorail station if you get there early. The walk isn't too bad to be honest, if the queue is looking longer than 15 minutes then walk.
Dan

Alton Towers have confirmed on Twitter that Spinball Whizzer will be the only attraction with a Single Rider Queue this season.

This means that the SRQ’s on Oblivion, Th13teen and The Smiler will no longer operate. I have to say I’m quite annoyed by this as, for the most part, the SRQ’s were a great way of increasing your ride count, especially on The Smiler.
MakoMania

Free fastrack was never going to last with Merlin. I agree it's very annoying indeed.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Dan

MakoMania wrote:Free fastrack was never going to last with Merlin. I agree it's very annoying indeed.
SRQ’s weren’t free Fastrack. It was never guaranteed that the SRQ would be shorter than the main queue.

I remember once queuing 80 minutes in the SRQ for Oblivion, when the main queue was 90 minutes.

Yes, on some rides it worked better than others but I wouldn’t say they were a form of Fastrack.
KrakenKray

Can see why they've got rid of it on 13 that didn't really work well. Not sure why they'd get rid of it on Smiler or Oblivion since they'll still need someone on batching for FT.
MakoMania

Dan wrote:
MakoMania wrote:Free fastrack was never going to last with Merlin. I agree it's very annoying indeed.
SRQ’s weren’t free Fastrack. It was never guaranteed that the SRQ would be shorter than the main queue.

I remember once queuing 80 minutes in the SRQ for Oblivion, when the main queue was 90 minutes.

Yes, on some rides it worked better than others but I wouldn’t say they were a form of Fastrack.
Of course, you had to judge to see if the SRQ wad worth it, but often you could get on rides like The Smiler within 5 minutes when the regular queue was exceeding 60 minutes.
MakoMania

It all makes sense now for The Smiler and Th13teen, they will probably be using the old single rider path to the station as fastrack given that baggage holds have apparently been ditched.

Still not sure why SRQ has gone on Oblivion, they aren't saving any staff and fastrack already has a path direct to the station.
Wagstaff04

My friend, when he went on the Smiler, used the single rider with his other friend and then somehow jumped to the main queue. Maybe that’s a reason?