SW9

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Bert

Phild94 wrote: The one thing we definitely lack at AT is something with a good amount of air time
Imagine if SW9 went for the airtime record!

Dunno how marketable it'll be to the general public though...
[Insert Signature Here]
Phild94

Bert2theSpark wrote:
Phild94 wrote: The one thing we definitely lack at AT is something with a good amount of air time

I would quite like “Worlds First Triple Launched Rollercoaster”

Not too sure BPB would be impressed though haha
Bert

Phild94 wrote:
Bert2theSpark wrote:

There already many triple launch coasters across the world, Including Sky Rocket II's which are at numerous parks worldwide. 
[Insert Signature Here]
Phild94

Bert2theSpark wrote:
Phild94 wrote:
Bert2theSpark wrote: Imagine if SW9 went for the airtime record!

There already many triple launch coasters across the world, Including Sky Rocket II's which are at numerous parks worldwide. 
Ok... well UK first triple launch haha
Owen

Also in a more traditional sense, Cheetah Hunt is a triple launch coaster :P
PhNx Survivor

Merlin need to implement more flat rides in the park, simple as that.. the coaster line up at a whole currently is now at a good level with different variations of family friendliness..

However because of this we are seriously lacking in flats like everyone is saying. For one, N:ST needs to re-open, and at least 3 new flat rides need to occupy the Ripsaw site, Submission site, and UG Swinger (when it was there).. or possibly Bone Shaker site.

With all the new concepts of flat rides these past few years, there's plenty of concepts AT could have. With regards to SW9.. I believe a MACK will be the next coaster to replace Rita. It all depends who Thorpe get for the Project 2020.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
ATI

There are quite a lot of options for what SW9 could be. Apparently, even Alton haven't got a clue at this time. I look forward to seeing what it is, that's for sure.
We were born to fly...
ATI

There are quite a lot of options for what SW9 could be. Apparently, even Alton haven't got a clue at this time. I look forward to seeing what it is, that's for sure.
We were born to fly...
MakoMania

Surely a modern launch coaster of some kind is the next logical option for the park? We have a lot of lift hills now.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Stan.H

I would personally love a new Intamin Launch, much like and to the standard of Taron or a water coaster. Or, an RMC T-REX would be pretty cool, however, doubt they'd go down that route, and they are pretty expensive I think. 
jackf92

Unfortunately with Rita still being pretty well received by the GP, a launched coaster of any kind seems unlikely to me. I think an airtime machine is definitely what they're in most need of. A mega-lite would be great if their capacity wasn't so bad, but a small, intense, hyper-style layout from Intamin or Mack with lots of ejector would be fab. Or a new-gen Vekoma would be a good shout, as long as it doesn't have vests. 
MakoMania

jackf92 wrote:Unfortunately with Rita still being pretty well received by the GP, a launched coaster of any kind seems unlikely  
Plenty of parks have more than one launch coaster :)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Kraken

What Towers really need is a big, modern, indoor dark ride using current 3D / 4D technology.  Think along the lines of Spider-Man / Revenge of Kong at Islands of Adventure.  They have a huge vacant area where Charlie is SBNO that backs onto "Coaster Corner".  This area is screaming for a large indoor ride as it's a pretty vacant corner of the park & the Mouse & Beast had to be removed from this site due to noise complaints from residents of Alton village back in the early 1990's.  

Whilst John Wardley is no longer actively involved in planning Secret Weapon rides for Towers now, he is on record some years ago as saying Spider-Man was one of his favourite rides out there - and JW is as big a coaster enthusiast as any of us.  

There is one slight problem - money.  Merlin seem to go for about £15m budget for a major CAPEX year at one of their parks - you'd probably need many times this amount to do the ride justice.  Would be good if it happened, but it never will in a Merlin park with only seasonal operation.  
Justin

Budgets are not set in stone. Ghost Train certainly exceeded that when it was built in 2015/16.
I expect the next SW project will take place towards FV, utalising plans originally considered for SW8 in some way, but obviously not using wood. I also expect Cloud Cuckoo Land will receive some work in between too.

As for an indoor coaster/dark ride, I'm not too sure. Thorpe is screaming for a new coaster, especially after The Swarm. Ghost Train was a big risk and I'm not sure if it paid off as going 8 to 10 years without a new coaster is pushing it. Interest needs to be maintained and coasters draw people to parks more than other attractions.
Robert.W

I'd like to propose this. 

No, I'm not joking. I know they've just got a woodie, but what's wrong with having two? 

I do understand that there may be some conservation issues with the cross valley wooden coaster, and probably logistical issues when trying to construct such a coaster, but where there is will there is a way, right? :D

Phild94

Justin wrote:Budgets are not set in stone. Ghost Train certainly exceeded that when it was built in 2015/16.
Can’t disagree with you about budgets changing, but these 3D VR attractions are seriously expensive, in excess of £100M easily, not to mention the required space for a ride like this.

I would love an indoor ride and think it’s something AT definitely needs, but potentially something to rival Valhalla at BPB rather than the 3D VR idea.

As I’ve always said though, let’s forget a large investment until 2025 and invest in flat rides and general park infrastructure. It’s what the park lacks above all else
abigsmurf

Alton Towers has a big problem with its lack of obvious family rides with the removal of the log flume and the Rapids going part time.

Projection tech is making dark rides much easier to maintain and can produce extremely good results used properly. Replacing Charlie and the Chocolate factory with a water ride along the lines of the Shanghai Pirates of the Caribbean (or a water coaster like the flying Dutchman) with a strong IP and/or themeing would help win back families who may have been disappointed at the selection of family rides open over the last couple of years.
Robert.W

A ride similar to the Flying Dutchman at Efteling seems like a good choice. I think Towers need a water coaster, especially now The Flume has gone. I can see a ride like that being quite good at the back of Mutiny Bay, but that probably depends on what Towers have planned for Mutiny Bay now Wicker Man is open, and space could also be an issue for that idea.

But I've got to agree that a new dark ride, done exceptionally well, is something I think Towers need quite badly, as demonstrated on opening weekend when there's was a lack of indoor rides available!

TheDuke

I'm kind of hoping we'll see a thrill coaster replace Rita maybe another accelerator that has some elements to it other than a launch but the space isn't there. Maybe a Mack big dipper like Lost Gravity. I reckon if we get flats or dark rides they'll come in 2 years.
Morgan

Whatever SW9 ends up being, I hope it's a more thrilling coaster without a dark theme. It seems that the vast majority of rides have a dreary theme, often on family rides (think Wicker Man, 13, Walking Dead etc.). Having so many of these themes feels tiring; I don't mind just the one but when it's everywhere it just feels snooze worthy. 
With regards to it being a thrill ride, I feel like there's a pretty good balance of thrill and family coasters on park, but due to the lack of intense filler rides it feels tipped in the families favour (which is a market that also needs improving). I don't overly mind what type of coaster it is, as long as I'm breathless by the end of it and it's fun.