Towers Loving Care

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Zach

Chris wrote:I do wonder why they don't reuse the Haunted House soundtrack, or at least parts of it. Was magnificent.
I’d like to think with the new sound track being done in house, parts of the original HH music could be Easter egg’d in.
Justin

The photos posted is a promising start to what will be a refresh of a classic ride. Lets hope that some of the effects are fixed too!
The Nemesis Fox

Hopefully the guns will be removed.
Dan

Finally, some news about Duel!

I’m glad the soundtrack is being changed, hopefully the new one brings back some of the atmosphere the Haunted House had. However, I do hope that the changes to the ride itself aren’t purely aesthetic and they actually spend some money on fixing some of the effects, especially the trommel. When it’s working it’s brilliant, but I can’t remember the last time I saw it work.
Zach

2nd TLC update this week we are being spoilt! 

“Towers Trading is the next building on Towers Street to receive the "Fantastical Street" TLC makeover.” 

Justin

Now that is one improvement long over due!
Excellent work, TLC! Fresh!
Robert.W

Honestly, absolutely brilliant! That was the one building on Towers Street that really was in dire need of TLC and I'm glad it's finally got what it needed! :)

PhNx Survivor

Is there a lot more TLC happing over this closed season? Compared to previous years.. the work done so far is incredible!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Dan

PhNx Survivor wrote:Is there a lot more TLC happing over this closed season? Compared to previous years.. the work done so far is incredible!
I’m not sure if there’s more being done, maybe it’s just the fact that more is being made public.

I’m really impressed with the work that’s been done on Towers Trading. I never realised just how bad the old colour scheme was, now it looks so bright and vibrant. With the photo booth that was given a spruce up a couple of years ago, the left hand side of Towers Street will look the best it has in years!
Justin

As Dan said, I don't think there is more than any other year, although I suppose the changes we are seeing are the ones we're aware of needing more attention. Oblivion especially needed work and I agree that Towers Trading especially needed work!

The past TLC work is detailed here, but I strongly believe that TLC should continue every year and be promoted in this way :)
PhNx Survivor

That makes sense, cheers for clearing it up for me guys :)
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Danny

Loving the fresh look for TTC. I’m so glad Towers Street is having the makeover, hopefully it’ll bring back some of the magic :)
Dan

The latest Towers Loving Care update focuses on the Circular Summerhouse.
Even though it's still winter ☃️the huge amount of Heritage TLC continues on our Circular Summerhouse ready for when the sun eventually does come out! ☀️
Built in the early 19th century and situated to the east end of the garden terrace, facing west this lovely structure needs a bit of work. It has 3 open bays, columns and pilasters (ornamental columns that offer no actual support) which will all be professionally cleaned and any damaged mortar replaced. The heavy cornice (featured clearly in the second pic) will be repaired as will the ashlar or large square-cut stones. We're very proud of our heritage and hope you are too. ✨

Justin

Following on from Dan's post, ctd architects have confirmed their involvement in Alton's conservation.
Alton Towers Resort ‘Stonehenge’ garden folly

ctd architects are proud to be involved with Alton Towers Resort’s on-going commitment to conserving the numerous historic garden buildings and structures is continuing with the consolidation and repair of the massive stone lintels forming the Grade II Listed ‘Stonehenge’ garden folly which dates from circa 1830, currently underway ahead of the 2018 season opening later next month.

The ‘Stonehenge’ structure forms an important part in the historic garden layout and a popular photographic back drop and picnicking spot for visitors to the theme park.

Their website can be found here.
DeadJack5

It's great to see not only rides but the gardens and heritage receiving the care and attention it's getting. It's probably something you never really think of but like with the Pagoda at the end of last season, it does look special when it's complete
Kraken

It is very important to note the two different sides of TLC.  There is the "routine maintenance" part (that many would argue should have happened anyway without the marketing bluster of TLC).  Then there is the heritage side.  In the main the heritage side is forced on Merlin by "Section 106" agreements - whereby the local planning authority give permission for a big new development (e.g. a ride) in return for Merlin promising spend a set sum of money on a certain heritage restoration project.  (Much like how housing developers say they'll build / partly fund a new / existing school if they get permission for the xxx homes they want to build on a new development).  

I'm not having a go at Merlin here - but remember they are a public company.  Shareholders returns matter to them.  Does spending a lot of money on a heritage restoration project at Alton Towers give shareholders an increased return?  Not really (if at all).  Does a new big ride like The Smiler / Wicker Man?  Yes.  Merlin are only spending the money on heritage restoration at Alton Towers because they have to.  

I for one am really pleased to see the heritage restoration projects at Alton Towers & they have been done very well (they have to be) as the buildings are listed you can't just hire "Dave's Builders" to do the work, the company you use has to be on a trusted & vetted list of contractors.  (Very like if you have a tree with a preservation order on it on your property, you can only use certain contractors legally).  

The fact remains this is money that Merlin have been forced to spend in return for previous planning approvals.  If Nick Varney stood up at the next Shareholders Trading Statement presentation and said "We're going to spend £xxxmillion to return the Alton Towers ruins to their former glory" he'd be voted out by shareholders in next to no time.  Yes, I would love to see the Towers restored, but they will not deliver anywhere remotely near the returns that shareholders require.  
Last edited by Dan on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post
Justin

In some ways, I agree with you, however, I do believe money would still be allocated to heritage projects such as the Towers or garden restoration without being forced to do so, with or without the Towers Loving Care project. It would be the same for any maintenance of historical buildings, be it Warwick Castle or County Hall in London. There would be a commitment towards that attraction, just like any homeowner purchasing a period property. It may be that more investment is made as a result of planning applications, but I'm not sure?
MakoMania

If Merlin weren't forced to spend money on heritage, they would spend the mininum required to meet health and safety standards and not a penny more :P
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
TheDuke

Just a little sneak peak at how smart Duel is looking after the Gardeners came back from the dead and had a tidy up! They revealed the windows and eaves of the old house as well as unearthing a few more graves!! Yikes!!#threeweekstogo https://t.co/Ar8bZTz9MZ
https://mobile.twitter.com/AltonTLC/sta ... 9595433989

Duel looking great on the outside lets hope the inside is getting as much work done
TheBeornen

I never realised how bad the ivy made the house look until now. It looks x10 better trimmed down.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...