Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Burniel

Bert2theSpark wrote:Misty waterfall drop, as in the drop will have mist effects, or is it just PR?
For now, I would guess it's simply PR amplifying the effect of the water. The same effect is applied on any Merlin map. I would think having misters at the bottom of the drop could be a hazard for the very close tiger enclosures, but it would look cool if done safely.

Something new for me from this (I don't think it's been formally revealed before this?) is the red colour on the boats, which I really like. Oh, also, the girl at the front of the boat made me laugh. :lol
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
jackf1tz

This seems like a great addition to the park, Dragon Falls looked really tired before this. On another note, Land of the Tiger? Early day for the Merlin Naming team I guess :lol
Burniel

Was at the event yesterday. Something to note was that everything seemed a little more intense than last year, with an increased presence of roaming actors, most noticeably in the Rattlesnake queue after dark (presumably because it's an isolated area where only kids over 1.4m are allowed), where multiple actors walked through the queue and coming up behind people, which was fairly amusing. Didn't do Creepy Caves, but they seemed to manage the crowds around it fairly well, and I heard a lot of good things coming from there.

Park was very busy, but queue times were extremely overstated. On no fewer than five occasions was I quoted between 60 and 80 minutes for a ride, only to be on within half an hour. It seems Fury and Vampire were the only realistic queues, with everything else massively overstated to an unacceptable degree.

On the whole, a strong year for the event, lighting around the park was particularly good. Definitely worth a look if you live nearby or are in the area.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Michelle

I'm really disappointed that I've not been able to get down to Chessington for Halloween this year, I'm glad to see they're trying new things and it certainly seems to have been quite well received.
Dom

"Oh Help, Oh No, Its a Gruffalo!" 2017 saw the infamous Bubbleworks become The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure, as well as the closure of Peeking Heights. 

Did you visit the resort this year? Did you discover the Gruffalo? Did you brave the Creepy Caves Unearthed? Than tell us all about your wild adventure!
Justin

I've visited Chessington twice this year and have grown to love this park more and more.
The Gruffalo is a welcomed addition and not one to be feared, the park is neat and tidy, staff friendly and investment for the future clear. Hopefully, this is a step in the right direction to return the park to its formal glory!
JC13

I only visited the park once this year, and I probably won’t come back next year.

I think the park is just too busy, because we fit it in with Thorpe Park in April, and we only got on 3 rides the whole day: Vampire (Which broke down), Dragons Fury and Rattlesnake. I get I’m not the target audience, but I believe they need to sort capacity out to shorten queues. The park looks nice, but it’s just always too busy for me
lewis97
Admin
Admin

A recently published article provides a little more information about the new area:
Chessington World of Adventures Resort is extremely ‘paw-leased’ to announce NEW multi-million pound Land of the Tiger, featuring an innovative enclosure and Europe’s first overhead trails, all set to welcome a family of four endangered Amur Tigers in spring 2018.

The foursome – currently living in Sweden – will soon be making the big move to Land of the Tiger at the Surrey Resort, where their new specially designed home awaits that will allow the world’s largest tiger species freedom to roam with a cat’s-eye view of the whole Land. With the introduction of Europe’s first overhead trails, guests will also get to observe these majestic animals in a whole new way - right above their heads.

Guests will be able to wander underneath the Amur Tigers as they explore Land of the Tiger, before making a splash at Tiger Rock – the exhilarating log flume in the Land - and join experienced Carnivore Keepers for mesmerising tiger experiences.  

Eighteen months of meticulous planning and preparation have helped to ensure Land of the Tiger is fit for the four felines. The Zoo’s Carnivore Keepers have been working closely with experts to design a custom-built space for the big cats to thrive in, and comprises the largest investment in the Resort’s Zoo in five years.  

Russell Bowes, Zoo Operations Director at Chessington World of Adventures Resort, said of the upcoming arrival: "This is huge news for us here – we've been working tirelessly to make sure our tiger quartet will settle in perfectly to their new home and we can’t wait to welcome Olga, Tsar, Kalinka and Kyra to Chessington.

“With three trails connecting three habitats, this is the first enclosure of its kind in Europe, giving the foursome - who, like domestic cats, enjoy surveying their surroundings from up high - the opportunity to roam and explore as they would naturally.”

The introduction of the tigers is also pivotal to Chessington World of Adventures Resort's Learn Your Stripes initiative, which aims to educate guests about the endangered Amur Tiger in an on-going series of activities and events. All while raising funds for the Chessington Conservation Fund (CCF), to help protect tigers in the wild – more exciting details to be revealed in due course.

Land of the Tiger launches at Chessington World of Adventures Resort in spring 2018 and will be accompanied by four new tiger-themed rooms in the Chessington Safari Hotel.
Dom

I did CWOA more this year than any other year and each time i visit i find something else i adore about this park. I'm slowly becoming a Chessie lover and i'm not ashamed to admit it. Gruffalo is just lovely and the Adventure Tree is so pretty. I love that they have made it wheelchair friendly too so it allows everyone to enjoy it. I also went on Peeking heights for the first and last time this year too. It really did provide some amazing views of the park and from up high I fell a bit more in love wit the park. I am really excited for Land of the Tigers and Tiger Rock. 
Ladyofthelake

As posted on SouthParks News, Chessington have published their provisional opening times for 2018.

The MAP weekend is set to be 10th-11th March, with the Resort opening fully on 17th March. Whilst there isn't a huge amount of difference to 2017's hours, it does look like we may be getting an additional weekend of Howl'o'ween with it starting on the 13th-14th October.
Dom

Chessington have revealed details of their February Half Term event Animal Adventure. The event runs 10th to 18th February. 
Perfect for all ages, our roarsome Animal Adventures February half term event is packed full of fun and adventure for the whole family.
You'll get to enjoy a once in a lifetime experience with How to be a Zoo Keeper LIVE! — an interactive show where you’ll learn what it takes to become a zookeeper and meet some of our animals along the way!
Come face to face with tigers and gorillas, and our King of the Jungle Kamal as you venture through Trail of the Kings.
Go underwater with sharks and stingrays in the SEA LIFE centre and don’t forget to visit the Wanyama Village & Reserve, where Grevy's zebra and the rare Scimitar Horned oryx roam freely before your very eyes!
A whole host of animal presentations and daily meet and greets are also on offer, allowing you and your family to get up close and personal to an array of exotic creatures, from snakes and meerkats, to spiders and binturongs.
Also enjoy a selection of your favourite rides:
• Join Mouse on The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure, a magical riverboat journey through the deep dark wood.
• Board the Scorpion Express and speed through gold mine ruins.
• Ride the wild Adventure Tree Carousel. 
• Get behind the wheel on Tiny Truckers.
• Watch out for the mischievous Goblins at Hocus Pocus Hall.
• Let your little monkeys loose on our AMAZU Treetop Adventure.
Dan

As reported by SouthParks News; Chessington World of Adventures Resort have confirmed that Tiger Rock is due to open on Saturday 5th May and the Resort’s newest arrivals will be introduced to the public for the first time.

Bert

I hope the level of theming in that concept art is represented on the actual ride area, same with the planning app theming levels, This is actually shaping up to be a really good investment for the park!
[Insert Signature Here]
lewis97
Admin
Admin

While this looks like a nice enough investment, I think I’d rather Kolmarden sent us a certain RMC than the tigers ;)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Excuse the double post, however this photo has been posted in the MAP Facebook group, providing a partial look at the current construction progress. It seems the focus has been on installing the enclosure infrastructure, with no visible signs of vertical construction for the theming element at the bottom of the final drop.

Justin

Chessington has uploaded a sneak peek of Tiger Rock's overhead trails.
This #TigerTuesday we’re giving you a sneak peek of the artist impressions of what our European first overhead trails will look like… 
#TigersRock[
Robert.W

They look really nice, its good to see that they are adding theiming to them! I imagine all the new features will look pretty good once finished! :)

Nickolai

Just a little spot, but I appreciate how Merlin change park logos to suit a particular area. I particularly like this Land of Tiger Chessington Logo!
Formally Smiler313
Dan

I have to admit, I’m really looking forward to seeing Land of the Tiger when it’s finished. Those overhead trails, while not completely necessary, will add something to the overall look, and feel, of the area.
Dan

It appears Chessington’s Half Term event has got off to a good start, as the car park has reached capacity. The wording of the tweet suggests that they don’t have all the available car parks open.