Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dom

In more exciting news, X has reopened with a new IMAscore dance version of the island theme. 

Image credit to TPM
Sawboss

Discoball hooooooo!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

As reported on SouthParks Facebook, Thorpe Park have updated their website with details of the 'IS7AND EXTREMES CHALLENGE' which begins on 22nd July.

It has a similar format to that of Towers' Big Six Challenge, with guests using the resort's app to complete seven challenges in each of the Island's territories in order to earn a free return ticket for any date during 5th - 28th September.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Members at the SouthParks Summer Sizzler on July 15th were introduced to Project 2020 which looks to be Thorpe Park Resort's next major attraction.

At present, nothing has been confirmed but we can speculate that the attraction will be a large roller coaster.

- There are currently three possible sites being considered, which includes the area where Loggers Leap is currently situated. The park is currently working out if it is feasible to keep the ride.
- The teaser above shows what looks like large airtime hills - leading us to believe the park may be looking at a hyper coaster or RMC hybrid coaster. The photo is actually the Meydan Bridge in Dubai, but signifies 'the road to 2020'.
- They want a reliable attraction, that has a high throughput and will sell itself. The engineers on the day stated they love working with B&M.
- It could feature an IP.

Let the speculation begin!
The Nemesis Fox

If loggers is a site and I'm guessing the empty island behind swarm is, what is the third site?
ThemeCrafter264

The Nemesis Fox wrote:If loggers is a site and I'm guessing the empty island behind swarm is, what is the third site?
If I'm not mistaken, the area around Shark Hotel was considered a coaster site in 2012, but it could be used once the main THORPE PARK RESORT hotel opens and Shark Hotel closes.
RollercoasterGEEK100

I may be looking into this but they could've chosen any random road and put Thorpe Park 2020 on it. It looks like they have purposly selected Meydan Bridge to hint the fact that the coaster (which it is most likely to be) will contain airtime leading to me thinking its gunna be a Woodie or B&M hyper. As for the sight. I could see them using Loggers in order to get that part of the park back to life before using any other space. But again, this is speculation so none of us are gunna be right as of yet.
spark

Interesting, looking forward to following this
Robert.W

I'm not sure how significant the artwork shown in the picture is, but it reminds me a little of Tron from Shanghai Disney... a launched Vekoma motorbike coaster might be a good idea though as I get the impression Thorpe Park want to give its guests unique experiences and thrills so I would imagine that this type of ride would fit very well with their target market.

theparklifekid

Chris wrote: The photo is actually the Meydan Bridge in Dubai, but signifies 'the road to 2020'.
You know, when I first saw the image I did think that looked familiar!
Very exciting though! A big hint of a hyper in my eyes, just a shame we have to wait until 2020! Wish it could be sooner.... :(
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Bert

A B&M Giga coaster could be a good option, and RMC Raptor would also be nice. 

Whatever it ends up as, Thorpe needs a ride that solidifies Thorpe Park, much like Nemesis does at Alton Towers. I know there's Swarm but there it isn't quite Iconic as let's say The Big One and again Nemesis. Another thing is that Thorpe have an advantage with becoming a well-known park worldwide, with Nemesis Inferno and The Swarm and it isn't a single large investment at a park with no other major rides.
[Insert Signature Here]
Burniel

We have to wait until 2020 ... *cries*

This is very interesting. My money's on a B&M Hyper/Giga; it seems to fit all the hints:
Throughput? Very high.
IP? I'd rather it didn't but they could easily implement one.
Reliable? Yes, it's B&M.
Can sell itself? Anything taller than The Big One would be an instant landmark and would dominate the skyline.
Fits the photo? Yes, airtime hills.
Engineers love working with B&M? Of course they do, who wouldn't?

Hypers are hugely popular rides and they'd easily have a chance of this being the best coaster in the UK (for me personally anyway). Just PLEASE Thorpe, if it's a hyper, DON'T TRIM IT. :P
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
theparklifekid

I don't think Colossus will be leaving anytime soon, when I last visited, the queue was the second biggest, just behind DBGT. One of the reasons I think its always so busy is because of quite a few of those youtube videos you see called "TOP 10 DANGEROUS ROLLERCOASTERS YOU SHOULD NEVER RIDE" feature Colossus as one of them.

And this image....

Personally I think they should ether get rid of it, or retrack it to be like Altair....
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
ThemeCrafter264

The reason it's queues are so high are it looks cool offride and more importantly, capacity is awful, especially when it's on just 1 train.
Justin

It has been on one train all season, to the best of my knowledge, which isn't great considering it is one of the parks major attractions. Does anyone know what has happened to the second train?
addy2503

Perhaps they decided that running it on 2 trains was unsafe for their bank account?
nemefan08

Me and my friend are finally making our first visit to Thorpe Park after a LONG time waiting. Just wandering if anyone can give me any tips on what order to do the rides or anything else?
Dan

nemefan08 wrote:Me and my friend are finally making our first visit to Thorpe Park after a LONG time waiting. Just wandering if anyone can give me any tips on what order to do the rides or anything else?
I would start at the back of the park (Colossus & Saw) then work in a clockwise direction and do Ninferno, Stealth and The Swarm. By that time DBGT will/should be open although some people prefer to join the queue for that first thing as it does build up quite quickly.

After that it's a case of going at your leisure and doing what the queue times allow you to.

If you want to make your day a bit easier and buy Fastrack then I advise you do it straightaway as the Fastrack sales units can also generate a hefty queue (ironic that :lol )

Oh, don't waste your time with Storm Surge :P
Burniel

Justin wrote:It has been on one train all season, to the best of my knowledge, which isn't great considering it is one of the parks major attractions. Does anyone know what has happened to the second train?
It ran on two when I visited at the end of June. Only time this season I've seen it that way, but it definitely did. So the second train definitely can/could run, maybe my visit was a test? Might have something to do with the fact that it was a quiet day; on a busy day, dispatch times are so slow that people would be stuck on the brake run for ages. Not that that's any excuse.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
XtremeCoasters Rick

Hi All,

Needing a bit of advice on when would be the best time to visit Thopre in the school holidays, (probably not at all, but do not have much choice this year). The two dates I have in mind are either Sunday 6 August, or Tuesday 22 August.

I have never visited Thorpe in August, so do not really know what to expect. I know its going to be busy whenever I visit, but not sure if a Sunday at the start of the month, or a Tuesday towards the end of the month would be quieter. Any advise would be appreciated  :D
Gentlemen, start your engines !!