SW9

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
AltonOperator

Owen wrote:If there's something strange, in your neighbourhood...
Please not an IP!!!!!!
Thanks Jack
T0mPr1ce

Would make sense, considering Heide Park. But AT have never really had mainstream film related IP before?
Owen

Just what to clarify that my post was more a joke :lol

And Alton have had Ice Age :)
dazza4783

Owen wrote:
Adam.W wrote:For SW9 I am anticipating a modern dark ride.
If there's something strange, in your neighbourhood...

Just me? :lol
I know you are joking but I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Duel replaced with a Ghostbusters themed ride. Not a retheme but a complete new ride system. Although Cloud Cuckoo Land is the most likely location for the next big attraction, maybe extending Dark Forest to where Charlie and the chocolate factory and Twirling Toadstool/Ice Age are. An indoor water ride like Valhalla but themed to Dark Forest would be a good replacement for Charlie.
Owen

Nor would I. I'd love to see a Ghostbusters attraction take over Duel and have the story line be related to the haunted house, possibly the Ghostbusters heard of disturbances in the area and are having a look around the building with you. Maybe have a nod to John Wardley by having him be one of the ghosts?

You could have the hearse replace the zombie outside and build a new pre-show in the queue line so the current building could seem identical.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself and I'd doubt something like that would be a major development anyway!
Speedy_no1

Merlin have just added a ghostbusters dark ride to heide park so doubt they would use the ip here too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Owen

See I disagree, if I have an IP I had previously worked with I'd use it as much as I could. But like I say I'm very doubtful although it's certainly not impossible...
ATI

I definitely think we'll be seeing a B&M for SW9, I'd say around 2021/2022. I'm hoping for a Wing coaster, but I don't really know where SW9 will go...
We were born to fly...
MakoMania

SW9: one of those awesome new Vekoma things

SW10: B&M launched wing to replace Rita

Sorted :lol
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
NemesisRider

I'd like SW9 to be a launched wing coaster from B&M - all of Merlin's wing coaster installations so far look/are consistently great, and are just pure fun to ride. If Alton Towers were to get one I think combining elements Raptor (ground hugging layout), Thunderbird (launch) and The Swarm (just because it's a great layout) could make it a real winner!
towerslover

Be interesting to see where sw9 goes in the park. I can't imagine it being in ccl - especially if it's most likely going to be more of a thrill coaster.
Tom

The car park behind Galactica would seem the most likely location for a new large scale thrill addition, if that's what SW9 turns out to be. That area has been earmarked for development for quite some time now.

Anywhere else around the Towers would obviously require the removal of some pre-existing attraction and I would say that is very unlikely to happen within the next 10-15 years at least in both Dark Forest and X-Sector.

I really can't imagine any coasters being constructed in CCL, the positioning of that area is on the very edge of the Churnet Valley and as such would present a significant noise problem, as well as also requiring severely restricted construction heights. I would think its far more likely we would see some sort of dark ride in CCL, potentially utilising the former Charlie site. There's no reason that this couldn't attract a "Secret Weapon" code name, as it would likely be a significant investment on the same sort of scale as previous SW's.
jackf92

Do we think they'd utilise an unused area for SW9 or replace an existing coaster? Obviously would be nice to see Rita replaced with a new mack/intamin LSM but how likely is that? Would its popularity have to wane a bit before that?

Also, how extensive is the area between FV and the gardens? I seem to remember rumours of an RMC there (lol). Would a megalite or something be feasible along there with landscaping/encroaching into the gardens slightly?

Apologies if similar things have been asked already!
bensaund

Towers again and again manage to pull out the impossible, nobody would have thought that Nemesis, Oblivion and the Smiler could be built at a park with so many restrictions. The Smiler shows you can fit lots of track and have a thrill ride with a very small footprint.

I am against building on the car park behind Galactica as I do believe the resort needs good parking and not grass parking. Depending on the size, there is no reason the staff car park behind Katanga canyon can not be used, the coaster could also interact with the rapids / RMT

Then we have coaster corner which is still not used.
Robert.W

Personally, I would like to see a Coaster Corner / Cloud Cuckoo Land coaster development for SW9.

dazza4783

bensaund wrote:Towers again and again manage to pull out the impossible, nobody would have thought that Nemesis, Oblivion and the Smiler could be built at a park with so many restrictions. The Smiler shows you can fit lots of track and have a thrill ride with a very small footprint.

I am against building on the car park behind Galactica as I do believe the resort needs good parking and not grass parking. Depending on the size, there is no reason the staff car park behind Katanga canyon can not be used, the coaster could also interact with the rapids / RMT

There is an application in to put car parking on Field O of the meadows, so the car park behind Galactica is likely to be used for future rides. A coaster there and a new entrance would bring the theme park closer to the hotels making it more of a resort. Also it could mean the monorail is no longer required. Which means the depot could go freeing up space for development in Gloomy Wood or Forbidden Valley. 
lewis97
Admin
Admin

dazza4783 wrote:
bensaund wrote:Towers again and again manage to pull out the impossible, nobody would have thought that Nemesis, Oblivion and the Smiler could be built at a park with so many restrictions. The Smiler shows you can fit lots of track and have a thrill ride with a very small footprint.

There is an application in to put car parking on Field O of the meadows, so the car park behind Galactica is likely to be used for future rides. A coaster there and a new entrance would bring the theme park closer to the hotels making it more of a resort. Also it could mean the monorail is no longer required. Which means the depot could go freeing up space for development in Gloomy Wood or Forbidden Valley. 
That application was withdrawn not too long after being put in for reasons that are unclear...
T0mPr1ce

Wouldn't want the monorail to go:(
bensaund

The monorail adds something special to your day. But if they build on the car park and put in the new entrance, look at the space they will gain:
-monorail depot = space for a large new dark ride
-old entrance plaza, remove Corky and put in  new larger family coaster
-Car park has more than enough space for a large ride and some smaller ones
-With Towers Street no longer being the entrance, there is no reason why those buildings need to stay, so redevelopment there could be a possibility
streetmagix

At some point the monorail cars (and possibly track) will be too old. According to Wikipedia the monorail cars were built for the 1986 World Expo. The Cable Car is also from a similar date although I believe it's been like Triggers Broom with so much of it replaced over the years.

There's a real possibility that Alton would have to replace both at roughly the same time. 

By moving the entrance to the car park by Galactica/Air would eliminate the need for 2 sets of transportation and would also free up quite a bit of space around the park. I'll be sad to see Towers Street gone but I've always thought that Alton Towers was built 'the wrong way around'.

SW9 (trying to bring that topic back on, er, topic) could either be built as part of the new entrance (ala Carowinds) or where Towers Street/Entrance Plaza/coach park currently stands. 

What other types of rollercoasters are there that Alton Towers could actually build? The options are limited really. Wing or Mega-Lite are the only ones I can think of that are sufficiently different from their current lineup. I honestly think it'll be a dark ride of some description, maybe something like Spider-Man or Transformers at Universal Studios.