Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
Robert.W

Maybe we'll see some cool theming there too!

Owen

The lift/launch hill (whatever you want to call it) has started to rise as seen by this image posted by TowersStreet.

Construction on the station floor has also begun

The catwalks and base layer of the track coming out the station has also been completed however bare in mind that there's still more wood that is to be added as well as the metal layer. Credit to James Edwards on Facebook.

Bert

Is that the first layer of track I spot in the last picture? :D

EDIT: Oh it is, I'm excited, doesn't look very well cut though but I guess it is only the first layer... :lol
[Insert Signature Here]
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Metal framework in the area of the main theming element has begun to rise.

Source: Instagram @nolimitscoasterfan
OhShambhala

Looks like Alton have opted for the darker wood seen in older GCI's such as Gwazi or even Wodan rather than the newer yellowish style wood seen on rides such as Mystic Timbers or Gold Striker.

I'm not sure how I feel about this at the moment however it does seem to contrast better with the British grey skies.
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
Liam.W

I'm pretty sure the planning application states it will be built of Southern Yellow Pine.

GCI's webiste also says that all their coasters are made of Southern Yellow Pine.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

OhShambhala

From the photos it looks quite a bit darker than Southern Yellow pine, could just be the photo however.
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I expect any treatment that the wood's received will give it a darker colour, and the fact it was raining in the photo I posted above may have also given the wood a darker appearance, with it being wet.

Another photo of construction of what appears to be the theming element has been posted on TowersTimes Facebook.

[align=center]Image[/align]
ATI

I think judging by the length of the station and the scale of the ride, I think the coaster will only have 8 cars per train (16 riders), much like InvadR at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. I just don't think a 12 car train would be able to fully fit in the station.
Last edited by ATI on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We were born to fly...
T0mPr1ce

I guess that the wood looks so dark because it's absolutely saturated with the rain we've been having. Very excited to see the theming structure going up, can't wait to see what it turns out to be like. I'm pretty sure the plans stipulated that the trains will be 12 rows?
Owen

The planning documents showed a 12 car train, so we can expect as much! :)
MakoMania

8 car trains would provide a pretty poor capacity. I'm still not sure whether this could have 2 or 3 trains. having seperate onload & offload areas would suggest 3 train operation and I think I remember seeing something about that on the plans although I'm not 100%.

It's fantastic to see construction progressing so rapidly. Looking forward to opening day :P

I really hope they sneak some mini airtime hills in, all hail airtime, we need some more at Towers!
Last edited by MakoMania on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Azi889

It's great to see some vertical construction happening! I really like the colour of the wood dark, I definitley think the natural wood will look really nice against all the woodland in the old flume site. Looking forward to seeing exactly what the themeing element is, and what the unique point of this ride will be. I'm really happy that Alton towers is getting a woodie as they're classic rides that are always fun. Even when they're old and throw you about like the grand national! I think the wicker man would be really good and go along well with the other dark themed rides at Alton towers. Although I'm not sure if this is going to be aimed at families it will work as well with a dark theme, but we will see. What's exciting is that it's starting to take shape now so we will definitley be able to get a better idea of what sW8 is going to be in the coming months :D
simononestop

yes timber is darker when wet but that still looks quite dark.
although all timber gets bleached by the sun and goes grey so after a few moths to a year it will all turn grey (unless re treated/oiled)

I'm surprised at a pine as its a softwood so would need to be tanalised treated.
and Treatment wise you get a green or brown tanalith (pressure treatment) for softwood to stop it rotting but it wont last forever? however as its not in ground contact it would last longer.southern yellow pine is a heavier pine but still softwood.
you used to be able to use creosote but that's banned now, well the chemicals in it.

A hard wood would last a lot longer and not rot as quick? but be 3 times more expensive.

But I guess they know what they are doing
118hazaman

simononestop wrote:yes timber is darker when wet but that still looks quite dark.
although all timber gets bleached by the sun and goes grey so after a few moths to a year it will all turn grey (unless re treated/oiled)

I'm surprised at a pine as its a softwood so would need to be tanalised treated.
and Treatment wise you get a green or brown tanalith (pressure treatment) for softwood to stop it rotting but it wont last forever? however as its not in ground contact it would last longer.southern yellow pine is a heavier pine but still softwood.
you used to be able to use creosote but that's banned now, well the chemicals in it.

A hard wood would last a lot longer and not rot as quick? but be 3 times more expensive.

But I guess they know what they are doing
Hardwood isn't a sustainable resource. Not only will it cost a huge amount to make an entire coaster from hardwood, but many environmentalists wouldn't be very happy. Yes it's stronger and can last for longer, but it's much cheaper just to replace the pine every so often.
TheDuke

Hardwood isn't a sustainable resource. Not only will it cost a huge amount to make an entire coaster from hardwood, but many environmentalists wouldn't be very happy. Yes it's stronger and can last for longer, but it's much cheaper just to replace the pine every so often.
Its most certainly to cut costs/use as much clean material as possible especially with the amount of wood, its common in engineering works to plan to use cheaper material that you can easily replace for "non-essential" parts that wont wear as much. So I wouldn't think to much about it as long as they maintain it properly which I assume they will as they know as well as anyone what a wooden coaster entails
Aidan Lowe

Photo Credit: @blue5onichd

Formerly known under username Andy Mc
T0mPr1ce

Wow, a potential high speed fly through the theming structure! They appear to be building a tunnel around the track, going through what should be the legs of the Wickerman. High speed head chopper anyone?!
Capt.Barnacles

From seeing this in person on Monday (I took the photo of the first stuff that went up), and looking at the positioning of the steelwork (slap bang in the middle of that concrete pad) and the angle of all the attachment points on it, I'm considering the possibility that we've all been misled and that this may not be a wickerman theme at all. Looking at the phrases 'Unearthing SW8' and 'groundbreaking new project', surely I'm not the only one that's starting to sway towards the idea of a mining theme? One that would much better fit into Katanga Canyon than a wickerman theme.
Robert.W

I have to agree that after seeing these pictures that I personally think that the wickerman theme is now less likely. The scale of the themeing is larger than I first thought though so that's a good thing!