Wicker Man Area Speculation and Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
TheDuke

I was watching an old john wardley presentation today and he says during his time on the smiler project he fielded 2 woodies to merlin one of which he said had a spooky theme so maybe this could be a result of that
OhShambhala

I think the map is a decoy to just tease us enthusiasts. I would find it very odd if it where in Gloomy Wood!
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
dazza4783

TheDuke wrote:I was watching an old john wardley presentation today and he says during his time on the smiler project he fielded 2 woodies to merlin one of which he said had a spooky theme so maybe this could be a result of that
Hopefully this is a revision of one of John Wardley's old designs. It would be a shame if after all those years of him trying to get a woodie at Alton Towers, they finally decide to and don't use one of his designs.
OhShambhala wrote:I think the map is a decoy to just tease us enthusiasts. I would find it very odd if it where in Gloomy Wood!
I think you are probably right, given how far away from Duel the coaster will actually be, and the fact that on the plans the entrance to the ride is in Mutiny Bay. Although there is an application that Towers submitted stating "to incorporate an amended path and additional landscaping in association with the approved SW8 ride", could it have changed so that the queue line will now start around where the haunted hollow is?
Owen

I didn't know about that planning ammendment. Based on that I wouldn't be shocked if the queue is re-routed, although it's still a pretty ridiculous placement in my eyes. The coaster may not even be visible from the ride entrance :lol
T0mPr1ce

This will be a shame, I think the potential for a MB woodie was great, an opened out entrance would have worked nicely leading from the main MB area. Guess time will tell.
Owen

That being said the shop will still exit into Mutiny Bay wouldn't it? Goodness this ride isn't filling me with confidence in terms of clear story telling or area placement :lol

I suppose we need to wait and see. What will be will be and hey, if we're lucky Thorpe will get an RMC if this bombs :lol
T0mPr1ce

They certainly do know how to mess with us :lol
Owen

Indeed. Unless this is all misdirection and really we're getting "Derren Brown's Wooden Roller Coaster"?! :O
TheDuke

dazza4783 wrote:Hopefully this is a revision of one of John Wardley's old designs. It would be a shame if after all those years of him trying to get a woodie at Alton Towers, they finally decide to and don't use one of his designs.
I mean I'd say he'd be open to giving consultation on it.

As is being said it doesn't really make sense logistically to have it in GW, as cool as I think it would be I kind of doubt itll be there. However it could be misdirection in the plans as they know we'll look at the plans in length but it is more likely the map is misdirection, itll be interesting if the scarefest map is the same.

Alternatively and this is a long shot we could be getting a new area
jaybee85

Much as I love most of what Mr Wardley has done over the years, he's left quite a phenomenal legacy, and he's a genius in his own way, if he has made a decision to formally retire, then I sort of feel that they should leave him out of this one, in the sense that they need to be able to demonstrate that they can do this themselves, without relying on him to save the day. Who knows, that might even bring a new personality to the fore.
Ryan.B

If you enter in GW then the walk back round from the exit would make re rides way too much effort :lol. Maybe the entrance can be where you turn off into haunted hollow on the mutiny Bay side of things, I remember seeing something like 'extended Q' or similar on the application.
AltonOperator

I'll be a bit annoyed if Wardley isn't mentioned or used as an easter egg somewhere in the ride. He is the backbone of the entire park and introduced the UK to the Theme Park model.

I definitely think the GW thing is incorrect in some way because it will be far too visible in the mutiny bay area and, as has been mentioned before, it is way to far away from Duel.
Thanks Jack
T0mPr1ce

Wasn't sure where to put this post but TowersLovingCare have posted an image of a new or refurbished Duel sign. They also have stated that the ride itself will be receiving the TLC treatment at the end of the season over the closed period. Could this possibly hint that the ride could be getting a retheme for a new SW8 area?
Dom

Chat with regards to Towers Loving Care is happening here

As for what people are saying about SW8 possibly being in Gloomy Wood, its a hard one to say for 100% certainty until the park publically announce it. I've always believed its going to be Katanga Canyon themed, but the map does say different. As for Duel, I'm not sure if its linked or not. Only time will tell
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Just to add further confusion, the new Big Six Challenge page says the following:
Plus, a brand new ground breaking development is currently underway in Mutiny Bay...
T0mPr1ce

Very interesting, why must they mess us around like this! :dizzy: :lol
AltonOperator

lewis97 wrote:Just to add further confusion, the new Big Six Challenge page...
The Big Six page has been taken down. this may have something to do with the Mutiny bay thing
Last edited by lewis97 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed URL/quote
Thanks Jack
Froboi

The current map shows the ride being in between KC and MB?? No where near GW?? Once on the link click View Map Button.

https://www.altontowers.com/useful-info/resort-maps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dom

Froboi wrote:The current map shows the ride being in between KC and MB?? No where near GW?? Once on the link click View Map Button.

https://www.altontowers.com/useful-info/resort-maps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please read back through posts, as this has already been mentioned. The reason Gloomy Wood is even being mentioned is because of the park map saying it is going to be in Gloomy Wood. The link to the map you've submitted also says the same thing, hence why there is confusion. :)
Luviico

Gloomy Wood? Mutany bay? Katanga Canyon? AT are certainly giving conflicting info.

The style of the new banners, the style of the fencing, the rumour of a wicker man theme... it all points to it being a katanga attraction. It wouldn't fit in or make sense in either of the other two areas.