The Future of Oblivion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Cobby

So I was thinking the other day and realised that next year will be Oblivion's 20th birthday. Do you think we will see some signage/merch changes like we did for Nemesis or do you think it would be the year after with SW8 opening, if they celebrate it at all. Personally I would like to see the 20th celebrated instead of the 21st because I think it would work better with the Oblivion logo. I made this quick idea in Photoshop of how the logo could work for the 20th but I can't see it fitting so well for the 21st. I was just wondering what everyone else's opinion was :D

Tom170499

If they did celebrate the 21st instead, they could turn the one into a downwards arrow...
Luce

It would be nice to see a celebration of some kind especially as Oblivion was the first B&M dive coaster. I reckon if they did go for the 21st, it might be because of SW8 opening next year But also, the 20th would be good too.

I'd love to see some merchandise to mark the occasion like the Nemesis pin badges and t-shirts as a milestone in a coaster's life is worth celebrating in my view :)
NemesisRider

I personally doubt Oblivion's 20th will be celebrated - I do think however we will see some TLC on it over this Closed season (especially as Smiler appears to have been receiving a bit of love and paint!). As for when it is 21, I think we may see a Neme21s-esque situation with some new merchandise and signage changes throughout the area.
Cobby

I think it would also be nice for them to put the full queue videos back on instead of the weird jump cuts we have now. I understand why they did it but all that has blown over now so I don't see why they don't put the normal videos back on.
suffolkjames

I love that logo!! Seriously hope it is used on the ride and in merch. 20th anniversary of the original dive coaster can't be missed !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cobby

suffolkjames wrote:I love that logo!! Seriously hope it is used on the ride and in merch. 20th anniversary of the original dive coaster can't be missed !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you that was just my interpretation of what I think it could look like and I think that it suits the ride well. I just hope that they do something for it's 20th birthday because it is an iconic ride and a "worlds first" so hopefully we get something
978george

Hello, I don't believe a post has been made on this yet so why not start one. Does anyone have any idea of the future of oblivion?
Joseph1972

What about the possibility of adding an inversion and making the trains floorless? Technically it can be done and the space (however small) is there.
Dan

Joseph1972 wrote:What about the possibility of adding an inversion and making the trains floorless? Technically it can be done and the space (however small) is there.
The potential of Oblivion being made floorless or having its track layout changed has been discussed numerous times in the past and neither of these things are likely to ever happen.

Making the shuttles floorless would require extensive modifications to the station and queue-line areas whereas altering the track layout to incorporate an inversion would require wholesale changes to X-Sector as a whole.

The main reason that I believe neither of these things will ever happen is money. Merlin wouldn’t cough up the money that would be needed to make these changes unless they thought they would see a significant return on investment. There are numerous dive machines around the world that are both floorless and have inversions so Merlin wouldn’t be bringing a USP to the table if they did alter Oblivion, in my opinion it would be money wasted that could be spent on things that the park actually needs.

Oblivion was the original dive machine and in terms of ride hardware and structure she needs to be left as she is.
Robert.W

Oblivion with back to back seating? Just a suggestion. It would provide a whole new way to ride such as classic ride.

JC13

Robert.W wrote:Oblivion with back to back seating? Just a suggestion. It would provide a whole new way to ride such as classic ride.
That could be cool! It would be strange facing up at the sky, but I would like to experience a backwards vertical drop without going to Hansa Park!
TheDuke

I've said this in another thread but the issue is that modifying an existing ride is a dangerous game, especially one as old as Oblivion because you could ruin the ride or the cost can change due to unforseen issues.

The most likely change that could be made to the track would be an extension at the end but this would be expensive and seen as unnecessary so its unlikely.

The only possible change would be possible would be adding VR which is very unlikely due to backlash and that Galactica exists.

If Towers have the money for a radical change or extension, it would go into a new attraction.
Robert.W

I wouldn't put it past Alton Towers to put another dive coaster in Oblivion's place, when Oblivion's time is up, and market it "Oblivion II" or something silly like that...

TheDuke

Thats more likely than any other extension I'd say and I think the park would benefit from an improved dive coaster that uses the tunnel as much as I love oblivion
jackf1tz

To be honest I would think the complete polar opposite. In my eyes, when Merlin or Towers get rid of something, it's because it's past it's sell by date. They wouldn't be able to market it like they did when they created the original Oblivion, unless they did something stupid like "the worlds first vertical drop rollercoaster, reincarnated" or words to that effect. It's the one that most people are scared the most of (unless they read any Trinity Mirror publications), but for me, when it's done I'd rather Merlin, or whoever owns AT then make another great world class coaster instead of another dive coaster, which the world has enough of now. Personally, I think that what the park really needs is a TOGO Stand-Up to go in the Nemesis Pit. :P
TheDuke

jackf1tz wrote:To be honest I would think the complete polar opposite. In my eyes, when Merlin or Towers get rid of something, it's because it's past it's sell by date. They wouldn't be able to market it like they did when they created the original Oblivion, unless they did something stupid like "the worlds first vertical drop rollercoaster, reincarnated" or words to that effect. It's the one that most people are scared the most of (unless they read any Trinity Mirror publications), but for me, when it's done I'd rather Merlin, or whoever owns AT then make another great world class coaster instead of another dive coaster, which the world has enough of now. Personally, I think that what the park really needs is a TOGO Stand-Up to go in the Nemesis Pit. :P
I think people here get to hung up on worlds firsts here, considering sw8 may not even ve marketed that way but a dive coaster can still be world class just look at oblivion in gardaland its a fantastic ride.
Scarlyboo22

I think that they should give it a cool new paint job for the Halloween season maybe a purple and green and some neon lights in the ‘abyss’!! It may drag some more people on as there are practically no queues at the moment.
Robert.W

Practically no queues?? There was today. But poor attraction availability may have attributed to that.

Mickeyray

In my honest opinion, Oblivion needs a retheme. It doesn't need changing physically. Smiler has a theme with uniforms, Oblivion needs that too. It may be old but I see so many people and kids going on for the first time and in my view it is not 'old.' Just outdated and need a retheme. Nemesis is old too and I still love it having first rode it way back when it first opened and I'm never tired of it.