Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
tcw1993

Plans won't change drastically as they were used to planning permission and unless you re-apply there isn't MUCH room for change. However it does all depend on what the planning is like in that specific area of the park, as it can differ from others. But like I say I wouldn't expect too much of a change.

I think I'm the only person on here really looking forward to this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
Nickolai

tcw1993 wrote:I think I'm the only person on here really looking forward to this!
I'm really looking forward to this. It will be the first coaster that I will see get constructed from a proper enthusiast's POV. I did look at The Smiler construction but I only waited for updates on the TT Website which was also an interesting construction, however, SW8 will be the first one I have given an input on.

When do people reckon vertical construct will start? I want to see some wood sticking out of the ground soon! Would it be too early if we saw vertical construction in March?
Formally Smiler313
ThemeCrafter264

I am also really looking forward to this coaster
MakoMania

Smiler313 wrote: Would it be too early if we saw vertical construction in March?
Yes. Groundwork should be finished by late spring/early summer and I'd expect vertical construction to begin any time from early August to early October. If I had to place a bet I'd say late August for this one.

But then again, they've done everything ahead of what I'd normally expect for this ride so who knows :)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Nickolai

For The Smiler, they put up a time lapse camera somewhere. Do you think they will do the same for SW8? If they have then it will be interesting to try and see where it is.
Formally Smiler313
JayTricky

Excited to see this develop. It's surprising how things gather pace. Soon enough it'll start looking like a roller-coaster.

I'm hoping that this is marketed correctly. Obviously a little too early for us to predict 'exactly' what type of coaster it will be (family, thrill, etc) - but from looking at the current plans, it does look more of an exciting family coaster.

IF that is true and it is to sway towards to family side of things - then please o' please don't market the ride like Th13teen. Do that, and people are going to be dissapointed. Do it correctly and we could be onto a winner with the GP. A family coaster doesn't mean a bad coaster (Expedition Everest?).

Of course, things can change. There may be some secrets yet to be revealed...
Javs

Has the flume station been destroyed or dismantled? Either they have dismantled it, to re furbish it then rebuild it, or the plans show a replica building? I really don't think they could have left it there and built around it anyway.
ry1996

^From the pictures it looks like its been destroyed, definitely not dismantled carefully.
Stan.H

Didn't get any pictures, but was on resort yesterday (to go to the waterpark). And in the area next to the Coach and VIP Parking (behind Katanga Canyon I think) there were a few diggers and then 3 or 4 piles of what just looked like debris from a fire. Also, at the traffic lights there is some new (I think) advertising for the Cbeebies Land Hotel opening next year.
Adam.W

I was just thinking about how SW8 will be accessed during construction. To me, the most obvious location at the moment would be using the KC path.
There is an access point which leads to another path (which runs behind the SW8 proposed ride location to the haunted hollow entrance) and the old lake area. From this area, it's only a short distance to the nearest gate which leads off the park.
I'm thinking this would be used during the main season since there is no other way to access the ride, other than the path that runs behind CRR and ends at the start of haunted hollow. (this would require it to run straight through gloomy wood).
This also probably explains why there's a maintenance building being built behind duel, since that path can be used.
Ryan.B

This is what I was saying as well, on the planning app it shows some work going onto that path.
looptheloop

TPW have posted a new construction update video filmed yesterday. It includes details of how the site is being accessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam.W

Due to the KC pathway being blocked off, you can no longer directly access KC from Mutiny Bay. To me, it looks like the area will be accessed through the path from Gloomy Wood and the Haunted Hollow will be used to get to Gloomy Wood, as well as the path from Forbidden Valley.

As mentioned by Shawn in his video, crowd control could be a bit of a problem. I thought that this pathway could be opened up during peak times, resulting in the stoppage of construction.
Stellafella

anyone got a link to the video?
Nickolai

Here you go : " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Formally Smiler313
MakoMania

Don't know if this has been posted on here, apologies if it has, I read it a while back and forgot to link it here. Pay attention to 4th paragraph in relation to SW8, full article is interesting read though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/st ... -engineer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know if this guy is actually an engineer or a PR excercise by Merlin, if I remember correctly he participated in The Smiler's blue peter episode.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
S.J_O'Grady

Could someone please give me a link to the latest SW plans on the council website? It's far too complicated for me to find them!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

S.J_O'Grady wrote:Could someone please give me a link to the latest SW plans on the council website? It's far too complicated for me to find them!
This is the latest application relating to SW8 although it's only for the discharge of a number of conditions set out when the full planning application was approved. The key plans from the full application can be found on TowersTimes' SW8 minisite.
jtappo

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but has merlin made use of their new trademark "RISE OF THE DEMON" yet? They applied for it recently so it could have something to do with SW8.

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00003196110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lewis97
Admin
Admin

jtappo wrote:I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but has merlin made use of their new trademark "RISE OF THE DEMON" yet? They applied for it recently so it could have something to do with SW8.

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00003196110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That trademark has been brought up previously in relation to the enhancements to Derren Brown's Ghost Train for this season. It seems a bit early for them to be filing for the trademark of SW8's name - going by the timeframe of previous attractions, we're probably more likely to see that later this year.