Thorpe Park Resort - The Future

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Chris
Admin
Admin

It will be a shame if Loggers remains closed. It has decent capacity, yet still had a constant long queue. It is a very pleasant trip around some very pretty scenery, and never lost its charm like The Flume did. I will always remember it as the flume that Princess Diana rode.

I find this seems to be a trend with Merlin - they are not given an adequate budget to maintain the rides if they need extensive repairs (CCR, Dragon Falls scenery, Safari Skyway etc) so just close the attraction or remove bits from them (eg the first drop roof).

Wouldn't be surprised if Loggers is now in too much of a state of disrepair to reopen. They have not cleaned the trough all year and there are weeds growing through the main lift hill.
theycallmealex

Baffles wrote:It will be a shame if Loggers remains closed. It has decent capacity, yet still had a constant long queue. It is a very pleasant trip around some very pretty scenery, and never lost its charm like The Flume did. I will always remember it as the flume that Princess Diana rode.

I find this seems to be a trend with Merlin - they are not given an adequate budget to maintain the rides if they need extensive repairs (CCR, Dragon Falls scenery, Safari Skyway etc) so just close the attraction or remove bits from them (eg the first drop roof).

Wouldn't be surprised if Loggers is now in too much of a state of disrepair to reopen. They have not cleaned the trough all year and there are weeds growing through the main lift hill.
The thing is, had Thorpe maintained Loggers more consistently rather than letting it rot, I'm sure that Loggers would still be on. Disney has been maintaining their rides for decades, look at Matterhorn! As a company that constantly compares themselves to them also it's just insane that they spend all this money on these rides initially and then just leave them when they're no longer functional..? I wonder sometimes how their brains work.
timmy1372

Can we start a keep Loggers Leap campaign?
Burniel

timmy1372 wrote:Can we start a keep Loggers Leap campaign?
Too late. As the park would probably eventually tell you, they'd love to reopen it but it seems to be beyond repair now. :(
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Dom

Looking at a reply on the Thorpe Park Facebook Page from earlier today, it looks as if Logger's Leap will reopen in 2017.
Loggers Leap is still under redevelopment for 2017 Jonti! We hope for it to make a splashback soon
timmy1372

Ooooooh there is hope yet for the old beast
kris3012

Image looks like loggers won't return next season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Justin

If it doesn't return next year, I can't see that it ever will.
gddevey1012

Justin wrote:If it doesn't return next year, I can't see that it ever will.
Usually i would agree however i believe whole heartedly that the Alton Flume removal is having an effect in the plans to refurb LL, they have not even started removing the flume at Alton yet and i believe they will use the components from the flume to return LL to its best.
Jack

I'm honestly not hopeful for the return of Loggers Leap, it would be nice for it to return but if it is taken out and replaced with a new ride you wouldn't see me moaning about it. :)
ThemeCrafter264

From this theme park guide update, it appears that Thorpe park might be getting a ruckin tug boat ride and small drop tower family rides for 2017. They appear to have come from Sea Life Weymouth and seem to be going in old town.

Link is http://themeparkguide.biz/news/news-tho ... evelopment

For me, this is fantastic news for the park, to finally see a sort of return of octopus gardens. Especially with dbgt upgrade for 2017 and this, 2017 seems like it is going to be an epic year at Thorpe Park Resort!
Owen

Whilst it's nice to see a few little rides being added, I am becoming increasingly more confused with who Thorpe Park are trying to target. The whole "family focus" seemed to last all of one year with the addition of Angry Birds land. It seems quite a pointless investment in my opinion, especially seeing as I suspect most marketing will be focused on Ghost Train once more...
Georgie

as great as this is, I really hope those things get painted before going in as they look pretty out of place at the moment and I'm especially curious how they're going to get a boat ride to fit inside a old western town. I wouldn't worry too much about the parks target market as with these being second-hand attractions, I wouldn't expect this to be a massive investment as such and more of something to further round out the park, which is something that is desperately needed.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Ladyofthelake

This seems like a bit of an odd move from Thorpe. On the one hand it does raise questions about just which market Thorpe are targeting, especially after the addition of DBGT and the new destination being teased for 2017. It also seems odd that the rides being added are second hand having been moved from another Merlin attraction, it almost suggests that these may not be long term additions.

However on the other hand adding two family rides does kind of make sense. With Logger's Leap being out of action that has left Rocky Express as the only ride in the area, a ride which is most definitely aimed at younger guests. Adding two more rides to this area will at least make it seem more defined and less like Rocky Express is isolated. It will be interesting to see if the area is re-themed and if there are any other additions to the area in terms of retail or F&B - during Fright Nights there was a new F&B unit open in that area so perhaps this was a test for 2017.
Muppet738

I think this is a good addition as someone with 2 kids one of them 10 and the other being 5. Whilst my son 10 could go on the big rides my daughter was always abit left out when we go there. Now it means there are a couple more she can go on this probably the case with most family's with kids when they are not all the same hight or age
Ryan.B

The rocking tug is to be called loggers and the tower is to be called leap.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Wonder where they are going. Wouldn't be surprised if they end up in the disused area next to I'm a Celeb..
ThemeParkML

Jack wrote:I'm honestly not hopeful for the return of Loggers Leap, it would be nice for it to return but if it is taken out and replaced with a new ride you wouldn't see me moaning about it. :)
I saw the other day that Loggers Leap is not going just yet: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Theme Park Music Looped
Looping Your Favourite Theme Park Music

Burniel

Mixed feelings really.

It'll be fantastic as always to see new development at the park. Very interesting to see a mixture of both family-friendly developments and improvements to the park's newest thrill ride. Kind of reminds me of 2013. Anyone would think the park's on some sort of 4-year development cycle or something ...

However, I have my doubts about the true success of the rides. From the little we've seen so far, they look very temporary and I feel like the finished product could be tacky. Although I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't judge something so early on, this seems a bit poor for an area that's mysteriously closed its log flume and said that the area's "under redevelopment" (I mean, you're just making the general public expect an Alton Towers). There's also the issue of how well they'll be themed.

Speaking of which, what is the theme and target audience of Old Town? The addition of these two rides makes me want to say they're turning it into a family area, but Saw and Slammer (and I believe also Samurai?) were classed as being a part of "old town" throughout the 2016 season and we've got an all-ages log flume just about hanging in the balance here. Is this the nail in the coffin for Loggers? Where will the new rides go and how will the rest of the area be adapted to fit them, if at all? I hate to say it, but what if we see the destruction of Slammer and/or Samurai to make room?

I think the success of this decision will only be able to be determined nearer the time. I'm trying to be as positive as possible.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
nickhutson

I wouldn't be surprised if they add a Smokehouse BBQ in the area, too.