Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Owen

Or, they could just let you see into the construction site - much like you could in any normal construction site. The only real thing that ever blocks your view are construction walls which first and foremost are to stop people getting into the construction area. There's always ways to see into a ride construction area including great big holes where padlocks are situated - if the resort were genuinely concerned about people seeing things then they could have done a lot more to stop people seeing in over the past 10 years. That being said I can see areas being covered by a simple tarp if the resort do genuinely want anything hidden - or have those aspects installed during the periods when the park is closed...
Justin

They won't block off windows. If anything it will be good marketing for the ride which will encourage people to return the following year.

The Sky Ride will offer a VERY unique opportunity to view the construction of a ride. It is one which could be capitalised on by the resort!
xylyx

Not surprising, but awesome news nonetheless. I joined ttsp to get the MI7 updates on smiler, and watch it's progress, and that was an exciting time on the forum. Hopefully this will be a repeat.

I would be surprised if they closed the skyride to prevent onlookers, especially as, until next year at least, it will mainly be people disassembling the flume. When there is construction, anything they don't want you setting should be easy enough to conceal.

2018 heralds my 40'th Birthday, what a great set of presents for this ancient soul :D
Azi889

Brilliant news that it is all approved and ready to start! I agree that the skytode should stay open as a view of anything construction wise for any visitor is exciting and get people wanting to come back. I think a woodie is something that Alton towers has really missed as it will look so good going through the forest and I for one am excited to see what it will look like once complete. I do hope there is some unique element to it but if not I think it will still be a great addition to the park.

Looking forward to seeing ground work and all the rumours of names/elements!
tcw1993

Hopefully things should start moving soon as I remember them saying on the application construction to start in Sept 2016. Knowing Alton Towers, they've got something up their sleeve, and all is probably not as it seems......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
YourNemesis

I dont know how acurate they are but some of the planning images being shown by the media are showing a water splash exactly where flumes final drop was. If this does turn out to be the case id just like to say i predicted it :D
Ryan.B

They aren't official, If you are on about the ride model I believe that was made by TheCodeMaster, based off the plans..
YourNemesis

Yea i doubt they are legit but my moneys still on the water splash. Id rather an all round decent ride than gimmick but it will be there as a nod to the flume ;)
Jack

I very much doubt a water splash, massively unnecessary, especially with how little visual impact it would have with its placement. Plus there is extra cost that is needed for the trough, water pump, etc. It would also be unpredictable for the coaster train and massively slow down the ride where you want there to be speed should you be referencing a flume style splash. It would make no sense whatsoever. And I think Alton Towers will want as little to remember the Flume as possible, with the amount of people who are appalled at the removal ;)
Georgie

Jack wrote:And I think Alton Towers will want as little to remember the Flume as possible, with the amount of people who are appalled at the removal ;)
Is that why they're keeping the station?
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Javs

You could have a splash effect without slowing down the ride. There are a number of ways to achieve this.
Jack

I realised that when I first posted and edited it to point out that would be an issue only if a flume-like splash is what was being mentioned :)
Adam.W

Wouldn't that cause hell on the wooden track/supports? As far as I knew, water + wood = increased rate of rotting and the wood becoming brittle/weak :P

It's a wooden coaster, not a B&M dive machine or anything ;)
MakoMania

Adam.W wrote:Wouldn't that cause hell on the wooden track/supports? As far as I knew, water + wood = increased rate of rotting and the wood becoming brittle/weak :P
Have you seen the weather recently? :lol
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
YourNemesis

Water splash/spray run exactly where flumes was. Im holding firm i think its happening ha. I cant see the point personally but itle be there :p the fact they are keeping the station shows they are going to try keep the flumes memory alive/do something in honour of as it was an integral part of the AT's history after all.
Gravity

YourNemesis wrote:Water splash/spray run exactly where flumes was. Im holding firm i think its happening ha. I cant see the point personally but itle be there :p the fact they are keeping the station shows they are going to try keep the flumes memory alive/do something in honour of as it was an integral part of the AT's history after all.
I disagree with this. I'm pretty sure keeping the flume's station (or parts of the structure of the station) has more to do with reducing construction expenses/impact related to the theming/queue now using the station area than with paying tribute to the defunct flume.
Liam.W

YourNemesis wrote:Water splash/spray run exactly where flumes was. Im holding firm i think its happening ha. I cant see the point personally but itle be there :p the fact they are keeping the station shows they are going to try keep the flumes memory alive/do something in honour of as it was an integral part of the AT's history after all.
I disagree with this. In my opinion the chance of there being a water splash is about 5%.

Isn't the flume station being used for a viewing area or restaurant? Because I'm sure it said on the plans it said 'smokehouse' on the plans, like the new restaurant at Chessington
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Liam.W wrote:Isn't the flume station being used for a viewing area or restaurant? Because I'm sure it said on the plans it said 'smokehouse' on the plans, like the new restaurant at Chessington
The actual planning application shows that the queue-line will go through The Flume's former station.
pleaty

Azi889 wrote:Brilliant news that it is all approved and ready to start! I agree that the skytode should stay open as a view of anything construction wise for any visitor is exciting and get people wanting to come back. I think a woodie is something that Alton towers has really missed as it will look so good going through the forest and I for one am excited to see what it will look like once complete. I do hope there is some unique element to it but if not I think it will still be a great addition to the park.

Looking forward to seeing ground work and all the rumours of names/elements!
I know it would be expensive but a potential massive marketing gimmick for the new ride would be to install electrochromatic glass (look it up) in the skyride gondolas which would turn opaque (I think it could even display a message about SW8) when the skyride was passing the construction site and then return to transparent when it had passed, this is the only way I could see them keeping the construction secret while still running the skyride without them covering the gondolas completely and ruining the view of the gardens from the skyride.
NeoXIII

pleaty wrote: I know it would be expensive but a potential massive marketing gimmick for the new ride would be to install electrochromatic glass (look it up) in the skyride gondolas which would turn opaque (I think it could even display a message about SW8) when the skyride was passing the construction site and then return to transparent when it had passed, this is the only way I could see them keeping the construction secret while still running the skyride without them covering the gondolas completely and ruining the view of the gardens from the skyride.
Or they could just shut down the Skyride over the course of the 2017 season. ;)
Either way, in case they'll keep it open during construction I'll probably come around ever so often and take photos!