Scarefest - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
S.J_O'Grady

I've never seen the Chessington mazes so I can't comment on those, but a free 4 pumpkin scare maze might be nice. That would settle the debate on the new or old style of scare zones - keep the newer style and have a free and slightly less scary maze to make up for the loss of the qualities the old ones had.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
KoasterKraver

The Sky Sailor wrote:I've never seen the Chessington mazes so I can't comment on those, but a free 4 pumpkin scare maze might be nice. That would settle the debate on the new or old style of scare zones - keep the newer style and have a free and slightly less scary maze to make up for the loss of the qualities the old ones had.
I'd prefer it to be more scary and the new style one to be less scary
cianjs

Today I received inside information from a particular person who is currently in conversation with creative director of scarefest. For 2018, there is a concept being considered which involves chaining off a complete area to create a theatrical experience evolved around the sanctuary; a sequel about the disappearance of Dr Kelman's sister, also referred to as Subject X. This will be more of sit down experience, that combines maze elements within it. I've seen a couple of the rough scripts and vague storyline. This person is associated with Merlin but of course, everyone is vulnerable to change within the next 2 years :) I doubt anyone will believe me (which is of course the most logical thing to assume).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MakoMania

I believe you

:chuckel:
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
KoasterKraver

cianjs wrote:Today I received inside information from a particular person who is currently in conversation with creative director of scarefest. For 2018, there is a concept being considered which involves chaining off a complete area to create a theatrical experience evolved around the sanctuary; a sequel about the disappearance of Dr Kelman's sister, also referred to as Subject X. This will be more of sit down experience, that combines maze elements within it. I've seen a couple of the rough scripts and vague storyline. This person is associated with Merlin but of course, everyone is vulnerable to change within the next 2 years :) I doubt anyone will believe me (which is of course the most logical thing to assume).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds exciting if it does happen
MakoMania

So TS on facebook are saying Alton were quizzed about a new maze for this year at Scarecon and they gave the clue, "beauty is only skin deep"

Whilst it's a commonly used phrase, it turns out it originates from this fellow: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Overbury" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He was murdered by poisoning, could be linked? Just a thought.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Altontowersbarlow

MakoMania wrote:So TS on facebook are saying Alton were quizzed about a new maze for this year at Scarecon and they gave the clue, "beauty is only skin deep"

Whilst it's a commonly used phrase, it turns out it originates from this fellow: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Overbury" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He was murdered by poisoning, could be linked? Just a thought.
This character they have hinted at seems to be heavily linked with London as he was murdered there. Could the "Chronicles Of London" trademark we saw filed by Merlin earlier this year give a clue to the possible theme and name of a possible new scare maze? "Chronicles of London" suggests a London orientated theme and with the clue pointing towards a person who was murdered in London, it would make sense.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Merlin don't usually register trademarks for their scare mazes, given that they're generally only around for a few years and usually don't have any merchandise etc. There's also the fact that 'Chronicles of Beijing' and 'Chronicles of New York' have been registered too, which would suggest it's a brand rather than individual attraction at one of their properties.
Sawboss

Was thinking about Molly Crowe, won't be returning this year but if it did maybe it would be better redone as a standard maze. I remember hearing snippets of the story which sounded interesting but with a bag on your head you're concentrating more on going the right direction and not walking into a wall. To have it as a story focused traditional maze would make it really good.

I have heard the new maze will be based on an movie IP, but it's all speculation at this point. I'm not fussed about IP based attractions, except Saw.
S.J_O'Grady

Oh no, please not an IP, anything but that!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
owenrita121

The Sky Sailor wrote:Oh no, please not an IP, anything but that!
Why not? Some of the best horror mazes out there are based on IP's.
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
S.J_O'Grady

I just don't like them myself. I like everything in a theme park to be its own thing - don't know why!
Aidan Lowe

The Sky Sailor wrote: I like everything in a theme park to be its own thing - don't know why!
Because it shows they have individuality and creativeness.

I can't even recommend a good horror IP, not seen a good horror in ages although I have suffered the shambles Hollywood concocts. If they do decide to go with an IP then I'm saddened, its the easy choice and just lazy.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
nickhutson

No IPs are going in.
However, I think the James Wan films are brilliant - (SAW, Conjuring, Insidious, Dead Silence, etc).

Universal are the IP people now - which is a shame - as they once did brilliant original mazes. I am disappointed they're, once again, doing a Halloween Maze, the Exorcist maze might be interesting - but they're still at it with the Walking Dead and I am sure other IPs will appear.
stevebrown

nickhutson wrote:No IPs are going in.
However, I think the James Wan films are brilliant - (SAW, Conjuring, Insidious, Dead Silence, etc).

Universal are the IP people now - which is a shame - as they once did brilliant original mazes. I am disappointed they're, once again, doing a Halloween Maze, the Exorcist maze might be interesting - but they're still at it with the Walking Dead and I am sure other IPs will appear.
Ironically, the theme from Dead Silence is the music that has played in the garden queue lines for the mazes for the last few years:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S.J_O'Grady

Yep, they've been using it as the TotT theme for quite a while now.
nickhutson

stevebrown wrote:
nickhutson wrote:No IPs are going in.

Ironically, the theme from Dead Silence is the music that has played in the garden queue lines for the mazes for the last few years:
ha. Yes. my original theme for Molly Crowe was too similar to that - so I ditched it. I believe they were playing my SubSpecies track in the garden queue area last year?
S.J_O'Grady

Yes that's right, the TotT entrance was relocated last year so the Dead Silence theme was played behind the conservatory
stevebrown

nickhutson wrote:
ha. Yes. my original theme for Molly Crowe was too similar to that - so I ditched it. I believe they were playing my SubSpecies track in the garden queue area last year?
Your track? Do you compose the music then?
S.J_O'Grady

stevebrown wrote:
nickhutson wrote:
Your track? Do you compose the music then?