Thorpe Park Resort - The Future

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Owen

Ghost Train would not be classed as a flat ride, and it was not planned at the time of publishing these plans, Derren Brown's Ghost Train replaced the second coaster and so this development was shelved - or pushed back depending on what the park are planning to do. :)
Burniel

I like the MACK Powersplash Shuttle idea - a fairly cheap investment to appeal to both thrillseekers and families. Furthermore, this would mean that Loggers could be removed, making room for a nice little (or not so little!) hyper there in the future.

As for when we see it - 2019? Even 2018 (SW8 will probably be cheaper than a huge steel coaster and PowerSplash won't cost that much) is possible IMO. Thorpe need a coaster.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Georgie

I can think of two types of big thrill coaster that would fit the park perfectly atm. An RMC inverting woodie behind the Swarm and an Intamin Hyper, possibly stretching across the front half of the island in conjunction with a new entrance area similar to what Cedar Fair has been doing recently. I chose Intamin over B&M because they are better suited to twisted layouts, they don't have to be built as high to get a fantastic ride and because I freakin love Expedition GeForce.

I also agree that a smaller coaster between major investments is a good idea. A powersplash sounds about right although I'm not sure if it would necessarily fill a gap in the park's ride lineup, since they already have both a launch and a ride with a big boat, if that makes any sense. I don't think that'd be too much of an issue though, just a random thought.

A smaller coaster I would like to see is an S&S 4D Freespin. As long as they can fix the capacity issue, I think that it could work wonders for the park as it's a new concept to the UK, has a lower height restriction than most of Thorpe's current major rides and is a good size for a park that is admittedly running low on space, not to mention they are reportedly fantastic rides. Plus, I think it's different enough from the Swarm for both rides to stand on their own despite the similar seating arrangement.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Benjisstephens

I think that a ride similar to Lost Gravity in Walibi Holland would be a good investment for the park. It's compact, intense and doesn't require too much height. I think it would work well as in the UK, we don't have any B&M floorless rides. It could be well themed and the throughput looks alright. The layout could be original and the elevated seats would give riders lots of airtime. If it was to start in the area behind the Swarm, extending it over the entrance would make to less compact.
fantoman

In the revamp of loggers it would be good if they re-instated the tunnel section, and also extend the course and add a third drop (perhaps a reverse drop)

Also Id demolish most of Rumba rapids and start again using the remaining infrastructure and build a new rapids ride, with drops... similar to river quest at phantasialand (but a different theme) and include dark ride tunnel sections with valhalla style effects... FIRE! and fog screen projections... As yet we don't have a rapids with a drop in the UK!

Also a high ropes course over part of one of the lakes would be a great setting.
bensaund

In all honesty I wouldn't expect much from the Loggers revamp. if anything just an excuse to close it for. year and do the maintenance they CN easily do in the 5 months of the year they are closed. It would not come as a shock if they removed it anf claim it's too old or expensive to fix.
Owen

While it's an interesting theory, I think we will see something - considering it is listed on the map (very obviously) and those in higher position in Thorpe management seem to be excited for what is to come...
Stan.H

I almost definitely think that a mack powersplash would suit TP. It is perfect, great for pretty much everyone in the family. And definitely a crowd pleaser. For the future id love a hyper coaster, crazy RMC or just a new concept mack ride (maybe like lost gravity, but hey. Mack can make up some crazy concepts, so!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nickhutson

No more water rides.

It'll be a woodie.
Owen

People are just voicing their opinions, at this stage it's just what we'd like to see and where. :)
stealthsmiler

I would like to see a B&M hyper at Thorpe. It would fit well in the park and the UK needs a newer and better hyper coaster than the Big One. However I also think a RMC would fit in well at Thorpe too.
Georgie

I've changed my mind about the Intamin hyper! This video of Mack's new very-nearly-hyper coaster in China looks incredible! Can't believe I only just found out about it and I think it'll be perfect for Thorpey. The question is if they do add one, do they add an inversion which'll be incredible in the Mack seats or not bother and finally have a major TP coaster without inversions that isn't 12 seconds long? And would they risk overshadowing Stealth to snatch the UK height record from the Big One?
gddevey1012

GThing64 wrote:I've changed my mind about the Intamin hyper! This video of Mack's new very-nearly-hyper coaster in China looks incredible! Can't believe I only just found out about it and I think it'll be perfect for Thorpey. The question is if they do add one, do they add an inversion which'll be incredible in the Mack seats or not bother and finally have a major TP coaster without inversions that isn't 12 seconds long? And would they risk overshadowing Stealth to snatch the UK height record from the Big One?
That looks stunning ! it would be totally different to Stealth so cant see it overshadowing it, not sure on the size of the build area but that inversion would be awesome in Mack seats !
Themeparksandy1981

On a update version of the park map they renamed the area loggers leap in as old town they also removed the ride off the map and listed area under development so this looks like the next big ride for Thorpe park in 2018.
MakoMania

Before we see any new coaster Colossus needs a major overhaul
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Master_feedback

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:On a update version of the park map they renamed the area loggers leap in as old town they also removed the ride off the map and listed area under development so this looks like the next big ride for Thorpe park in 2018.
My understanding is that loggers leap will reopen next year / 2018 with a refurb maybe some changes to the layout using donner parts from the flume I believe logger's would not be making a return if not for the flume being closed ...
Owen

The park map has been like this since the start of the season. :)
Georgie

Thorpe has this to say on their site's faq:
"Opened in 1989, Loggers Leap has been a form favourite amongst families and young adults. As a result of many years of operation, Loggers Leap is out of action for 2016 while it’s being renovated. This was a difficult decision to make, however we hope for it to make a splash-back in 2017 to the Resort."

Back on topic, as I wait in line, for the Ghost Train to arrive, my visit today tells me one thing: the next big ride NEEDS to be on the back island, if only to provide a back Entrance to the Swarm. You have to go so out of your way to get there and having a second entrance from that island via Stealth and the Sunken Gardens will make the park as a whole feel a lot bigger. If you ask me, the sooner they sort that out the better. What to put there? RMC! RMC!
RollercoasterGEEK100

I highly doubt that the next coaster could be over 200ft as of yet. Im not to sure when the track length limit ends but anyway. If it were to be on the island behind Swarm, then it could potentially hold a height of 130-150 ft. I have a feeling that it'll either be a mack mega coaster or another B&M, possibly a B&M dive coaster with 2/3 inversions. I don't think the next big 200 + ft coaster will be after the next one but we'll just have to wait and see. :-k
Georgie

So I was having a conversation today about Thorpe and the Farm came up in the discussion. Does anyone know what happened to that plot of land? If the Park still own it I could see some resort-related investments going on it such as Lodges similar to what we've seen with the Enchanted Village or Chessington's LTDP. Wasn't sure where to ask this so I guess this general future topic will have to do. :P