Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Adz
Admin
Admin

It's unclear at the moment if the lift hill is launched or not.

It does however use magnetic propulsion, so the technology is the same as a launch.
Guitar

Once it uses LIMs isn't it automatically a launched coaster, after that it's just a question of how fast the launch is.
Owen

After looking at the ride in more detail I can now say that for me personally, this is a good looking addition to the resort.

The ride looks as though it's going to have a very unique layout, and one that will interest both young and old. Now I feel that they have done an excellent job creating this in the mind set of what seems to be family thrill, as although it will be suitable for younger guests - the 'dangerious' view toward wooden coasters will give adults that adrenaline rush all the same. On the other hand I do worry that the ride is going to be incredibly short, and although I'm not personally worried (as long as the ride is fun) I feel that with The Smiler being such a long ride they may receive some stick for this, albeit a very minimal amount.

In terms of theming, I have to say I'm not going to look at it and think 'oh that's great' as honestly, Alton Towers often end up cutting theming - and although I'd love for there to be something to oppose this, their recent major additions support this claim. On the other hand I hope THORPE PARK's recent addition "Derren Brown's Ghost Train" will have given them a 'kick up the butt' so to speak to think more highly of quality theming.

I notice that the entry point into the building allows for a large amount of space between the queue and actual ride station, possibly meaning a pre show and if not definitely meaning an indoor queueing segment, much like we saw with The Smiler and TH13TEEN.

Overall, I feel that Secret Weapon 8 will be a good ride - however it will not be considered the resorts strongest coaster, although I don't believe this is what the ride has been designed to be. I am incredibly happy that the resort will seemingly have at least 3 family thrill coasters in 2018 providing Spinball Whizzer remains at the resort, and really it's helping put the magic back into the resort again. It also is great to see they will provide for the family market, whilst Pleasure Beach Blackpool will provide for the thrill seekers. In terms of it not being a thrill focuses ride, 'TH13TEEN is personally my third favourite roller coaster, as it's pure fun as opposed to constant adrenaline - something I feel is lacking in the UK theme park industry.

I look forward to seeing the development of the attraction, and will look forward to its eventual opening. :)
Sawboss

I really like the sound of this ride. I think with SW8, a couple new flats and the refurbished rides back open the park will be on true top form.
ShutdownMarquee

SW coasters have a history of being world's first, ground breakers etc. With the current layout and lightning rod already being the first launched woodie, I struggle to see how this is going to live up to the SW name. (Im not denying this is not going to be a good a coaster)
Vladimir Bobinski

Guitar wrote:Once it uses LIMs isn't it automatically a launched coaster, after that it's just a question of how fast the launch is.
By definition of the word "launched", opposed to being lifted up/pulled up, yes, it is a launch. It's a discharge of energy, to hurl, to set in motion, to send. The speed is irrelevant.

The first example of such a wooden launched coaster is (in Dollywoods own definition of their coaster) Dollywood's Lightning Rod which is an LSM, it's only 45MPH but it's to get a smooth quick ascension up the lift hill, it's quieter, more pleasant and will improve passenger throughput, if this is an RMC, then I'm struggling to see any of reason for it at this stage, granted, arguably not as reliable with such few examples at this stage.

Mind I've just re-read who they've compared sound against for exist coaster so I guess it means GCI, oh well, I'll try to stay neutral on that one.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Launches aren't just about or defined by outright acceleration or terminal speed.
Last edited by Vladimir Bobinski on Tue May 31, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MakoMania

I still think something must be hidden for Merlin to even consider installing a wooden coaster. Either that or GCI have given them a really good deal cash wise.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Burniel

MakoMania wrote:I still think something must be hidden for Merlin to even consider installing a wooden coaster. Either that or GCI have given them a really good deal cash wise.
I'd like to think that Merlin wouldn't install a cheap, standard coaster as a Secret Weapon. There'll be something hidden.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Vladimir Bobinski

ShutdownMarquee wrote:SW coasters have a history of being world's first, ground breakers etc. With the current layout and lightning rod already being the first launched woodie, I struggle to see how this is going to live up to the SW name. (Im not denying this is not going to be a good a coaster)
Personally, I think Merlin's obsession with something being a worlds first is what stops them from just making a great ride, compromise for a first or a gimmick, so far this looks promising.
rbsmith18

Excited to see all the planning updates, however a little disappointed in the land that will be lost permanently once the Flume is removed.
The footprint of the new ride barely overlaps that of the Flume, surely with some slight re-jigging both could have existed in the same area. What a place that would have been then! Especially if they intertwined. Oh well
Mr. Smith
Owen

"Europes first launched wooden coaster" would likely be the route they'd go down, or "The Worlds First Fully Wooden Launched Coaster". If they are truely going down that route.
Ryan.B

Betting Merlin have got a double coaster deal with GCI, with a massive airtime machine at Thorpe.. (Or maybe wishing :P ) It was done with Rita and Stealth, so will a double deal happen again?
Georgie

I hope not. I want Thorpe to get an RMC. I think it would be a perfect fit for the park. For a first woodie though, SW8 does look fantastic, especially if it does have a launch.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Owen

Seeing as RMC rides generally require height I could see this being a test in order to see how well a wooden attraction would go down, with a much larger RMC appearing later at Thorpe - however that's a completely different discussion that can be had here.
Javs

Wow this looks good! From the Section plan, it shows the lift height at 201m, the lift starts around 180m, so that is at least 20m difference, which is around 70 feet. That combined with the residual speed from a LIM, should create a very nice run through this ground hugging coaster!
Owen

Here is the queue layout for those who are interested. It's certainly a very nice and spacious queue, with many interactions with the coaster. It should be noted I have left out the queue under theming element 1, however this is likely to be some form of cattle pen. There will also be a 2 minute 20 second pre-show within the station building.

Key

Black = Main Queue
Red = Extended Queue 1
Blue = Extended Queue 2
Pink = Fastrack
Green = Disabled

pleaty

Just a thought but with the powered/launched lift hill and the relatively short track could the trains make 2 circuits of the track with a different speed of launch on the second circuit to give an out of control/runaway train type of feel. Not sure how this would work with multiple trains but maybe there could be some kind of switch track in the station building so the running train doesn't actually pass through the loading area, just close by adding to the out of control feel.....
Horras64

I have a feeling that somethings gonna happen in that long 'sound tunnel', straight after the lift/launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JaykeAT

Horras64 wrote:I have a feeling that somethings gonna happen in that long 'sound tunnel', straight after the lift/launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worlds first wooden roller-coaster with a tunnel exactly 25.7 meters long :lol
Mungo

Even though it may technically be a launch, I think it's going to be something similar to Dollywoods lightning rod. From what im seeing (and because of the rides location in the park) I think it's highly likely this will be a heavily themed pink knuckle ride similar to Thirteen... although I think the possibility of a world first occuring in the sound tunnel as mentioned previously is exciting!