Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
kris3012

Where are the high/low points measured off???
Is it a set place or how high above the ground in that exact place it is
I.e if the ground is uneven then so would the heights( if all the heights was the same)
Owen

It's from sea level :)
Zach

I think this ride is going to be an incredible solid ride, no gimmicks no worlds first just an incredible enjoyable wooden coaster, with a story and amazing theming! I think it's going to blow us away, I really believe Merlin will get this right, sidetrack from gimmicks and issues and just go with a good solid ride and make it the best it can be, a favourite with many I think
xylyx

I really hope so, if they can squeeze a gimmick in I hope it fits nicely, but don't do it for the sake of a gimmick :)
Adam.W

It's been mentioned that this could be a completely separate land to Mutiny Bay, so any ideas what theme it could be?
I'm personally thinking it could either be a mutiny bay extension, with this focussing around some sort of enemy pirate or something.
MakoMania

Adam.W wrote:It's been mentioned that this could be a completely separate land to Mutiny Bay, so any ideas what theme it could be?
I'm personally thinking it could either be a mutiny bay extension, with this focussing around some sort of enemy pirate or something.
From the plans it looks like it will be included in Mutiny Bay.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Ryan.B

but looking at the plans there is also a new pathway opening up ;)

It links up to a currently closed path round

leading to

From above.

To me this adds to the chance of the end of the haunted hollow
JonDoesTT

Ryan.B wrote: To me this adds to the chance of the end of the haunted hollow
Not sure why they'd remove the Haunted Hollow. It adds to the atmosphere of Gloomy Wood and the park in general, and there's things there for younger people (the talking graves with the awful jokes) and slightly older people (the mirror room thing). I can't see a benefit to its removal.

On the subject of SW8, though, if they could extend Gloomy Wood and call the area SW8 will be in Gloomy Wood, it would popularise area and they could theme the ride to like an abandoned train type thing, although that might be too closely linked with DBGT. I'd love to see a horror themed wooden coaster at Alton Towers, is all I'm saying, and I think linking it to Gloomy Wood is a great way of doing that. If they did TLC work/extended the Haunted Hollow, they could bring the area of SW8 and Duel into one massive Gloomy Wood. I'd like to see it. :)

Credit to NemesisRider
Ryan.B

I also forgot to mention on the plans, haunted hollow is labelled as "Super Peak Q?" possibly indication to the queue extended to there. I think its pretty much certain the haunted hollow will be closed temporarily for access as I can't see them closing off the Katanga canyon path.

Now this would be asking a lot, but imagine a shortcut by the rapids, past African huts and structures, with a few animals, possibly a bit like zufaris area walking around.. I do think the new path could lead to the closure of haunted hollow or a extension of Katanga canyon or haunted hollow.. and the best thing is there's less walking!
Zach

MakoMania wrote:
Adam.W wrote:It's been mentioned that this could be a completely separate land to Mutiny Bay, so any ideas what theme it could be?

I'm going to go completely opposite and say I reckon this ride is going to fit in the Katanga canyon theme, as it goes quite deep into KC and close to the Rapids, any theming could be visible or viewable from the Rapids and may ruin flow of theme. Also a while back towers wanted a coaster themed to KC and this is perfect opportunity. I know this goes as a complete different course to what the teaser boards suggest however back when the smiler was being built we had black and silver with DNA strands and they never made an appearance, so looks can be deceiving...
Ryan.B

TheSmilerMan wrote:
MakoMania wrote:

I'm going to go completely opposite and say I reckon this ride is going to fit in the Katanga canyon theme, as it goes quite deep into KC and close to the Rapids, any theming could be visible or viewable from the Rapids and may ruin flow of theme. Also a while back towers wanted a coaster themed to KC and this is perfect opportunity. I know this goes as a complete different course to what the teaser boards suggest however back when the smiler was being built we had black and silver with DNA strands and they never made an appearance, so looks can be deceiving...
This is what I've been thinking, the new (Well old but now seems to be reopened up) Pathway looks like it should go straight through the middle of the two, and the station looks to be more Katanga canyon location wise as by the time you enter you'll be in Katanga Canyon, past the sign. Also wood would be a perfect fit for the Katanga Canyon African theme!
Javs

I think it's safe to assume SW8 will be in Mutiny Bay. The SW8 sign boards are Mutiny Bay themed, and in the Mutiny Bay Area.
Ryan.B

Nope, the boards are in the area which will be inaccessible to the public, Mutiny Bay. Katanga Canyon wouldn't need the boards seeing as the area is currently blocked off anyway and is set to be opened up with a new pathway. The boards don't particularly hint at the rides theme, just the area the boards are in themselves. It could be in any of Katanga canyon, gloomy wood or Katanga canyon, but Katanga is my bet :)
MakoMania

I think it will be in Mutiny Bay for sure. We'll just have to wait and see! I might be eating humble pie in a couple of years!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
JonDoesTT

I don't think the signs give away anything. I think they just wanted a sign to tell guests that SW8 was coming, and had to make it fit in with the Mutiny Bay theme. For example, if SW8 was themed to some futuristic space type thing (not that it will be), I doubt they'd put large signs with futuristic text and images up in Mutiny Bay. It wouldn't suit the area, and would leave guests confused. I really don't think the signs have much to do with anything.

Credit to NemesisRider
Sawboss

I think most guests would be more confused about what a Swate was. I would be if I didn't read these forums :lol
Ryan.B

Alton towers are to open a 196m tall ride according to newspapers, so I wouldn't be surprised if this ride is a disappointment because people will believe that!
Javs

Makes more sense to have it as a Mutiny Bay theme. There are currently only a couple of medium/small family rides in the area. Katanga already has two big rides.
wamdue

wow wow wow, back up there.

The Gloomy Wood path is meant to be an attraction?
Robert.H

Yes if you look on the website you will find it under rides