Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
archie.mm

Dom wrote:What are these preliminary results you are referring to?
There were the images of the interior and retail along with the VR content. I wont risk posting them but I do have them.
Dom

Oh those things. I didn't realise they actually had a name :lol
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Seems the delay has been picked up by a few media outlets today, with an additional statement from Thorpe in Get Surrey's article indicating that "the reason for the delay is purely creative".

Here's the full statement:
Firstly, we don’t open any rides until they’ve been thoroughly tested. In this case however, the reason for the delay is purely creative, there are still elements of the show yet to be completed.

It is an entirely new invention, a world’s first, and as it’s taken so long to plan and create - over three years now - we are taking our time to finesse the final show experience and illusion so it’s perfect for our guests. This is an entirely different type of thrill ride.
Horras64

Sad to think that MAP holders would be riding it tomorrow. But now we know why it's delayed, I would rather ride it completed and perfected. Rather than almost completed, and less perfected, especially for the opening. At least we know the reason for the delay now.

Also they mention that there are: "Elements of the show yet to be completed." "Show"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nickhutson

Yes. This has always been more of a show; as it's a theatrical presentation - more so than a ride, I would guess. Derren has always been saying that from the beginning. Experience! :)

Also - show is always used to describe indoor attractions - as it contains controlled show elements such as lighting, sound and special effects - all within a show building.
Horras64

nickhutson wrote:Yes. This has always been more of a show; as it's a theatrical presentation - more so than a ride, I would guess. Derren has always been saying that from the beginning. Experience! :)

Also - show is always used to describe indoor attractions - as it contains controlled show elements such as lighting, sound and special effects - all within a show building.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. Now that you mention it, I remember it being called a show building. It's a big show building too now that I look at it. How are they filling it all up? I guess we'll see soon enough hopefully! [emoji38]
Owen

My guess would be that one or more of the VR elements is currently not at its full potential yet, and so Figment are working on that - at least that's how it sounds to me...
KoasterKraver

At least it's also being called a different type of "thrill ride", so still in the thrill ride category - not that we didn't know it was.
salamanderman

KoasterKraver wrote:At least it's also being called a different type of "thrill ride", so still in the thrill ride category - not that we didn't know it was.
I think thrilled in this case means scared shrekless
Ttsp's resident psychopath and coaster enthusiast
Horras64

I'm not scared shrekless on saw, stealth etc. But their still classed as thrill rides aren't they? It doesn't matter it still will be scary as the only live action experience I've had is Sub Terra, but I expect this to be a lot scarier anyway.

salamanderman

Horras64 wrote:I'm not scared shrekless on saw, stealth etc. But their still classed as thrill rides aren't they? It doesn't matter it still will be scary as the only live action experience I've had is Sub Terra, but I expect this to be a lot scarier anyway.

The thrill comes from fear, that's why horror movies are so good
(You know this was all a plan to make someone mention shrek in a unrelated forum.)
Ttsp's resident psychopath and coaster enthusiast
Owen

On site mini update (more to come) -

The heads are testing today and photo signage has went up!

(So cool)

More to come later! :D

More promo with the dolls head was shot at 12:50 infront of the entrance!
swooddow

That is awesome !, thanks Owen , liturally been needing updates as it's all gone way to quiet recently ! Thanks fella

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iamradam
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

Very exciting! Though £15 seems very steep for a picture with a digital copy? (I haven't been in over a year so I can't compare it to current/recent prices)
Would also be cool to be able to purchase your own digital jar! Though I imagine unlikely (and probably very expensive).

EDIT: also just noticed the "Scan here" boxes, one of my guesses was right! lol
Explains how you have so few screens for 60 person batches
JaykeAT

Am I making things up here or have TP used the "Don't lose you head" line before on The Swarm's near-miss billboard?
ASturge21

JaykeAT wrote:Am I making things up here or have TP used the "Don't lose you head" line before on The Swarm's near-miss billboard?
Correct the tag line plays a small part for The Swarm.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
Horras64

Yes they still have it I believe.

lewis97
Admin
Admin

I believe the photos will be 3D/lenticular which may explain the higher price. Does look like a cool feature though!
swooddow

It's all very exciting, I'm hoping we will hear an official announcement by this Friday fingers crossed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Owen

Hello one and all, time for your update!

The Ghost Train Shop and Merchandise

Merchandise

Firstly, I spotted this in the Nemesis Inferno shop, marking what I believe is the 15th unique hoodie option.

Photo Stop

As said above, the photos will be done in a scan here fashion, and we can expect to get two photos from this as they not only were showing a photo in a train carriage (see previous posts) but we also saw a separate frame for the head in the jar photos. Maybe a hologram photo changing effect, where from one angle it shows your head photo and another the second?

The Exterior

Lots of activity around the exterior of the site, with the addition of what I assume will be the disable queue, testing of audio and promotional photos using the dolls head being shot.

Ride information board.

The shopping cart.

A flower bed that may or may not have been so prominent before.

Some shots of the covered queue line.

I believe this door will act as a fire exit, as the shop entrance is right next to this (so riders will walk past this closed door when exiting the attraction).

How many minutes do you think this will be showing come opening?

I assume that this will be the disabled entrance.

General Exterior Shots

More rust effects are being added.

That's all for today, however I will be back on Tuesday to derail you minds with another update! If you still can't get enough, have a look in the CONTAINMENT topic for updates on CONTAINMENT's reinstallation. Or head over to the Thorpe Park Merchandise topic to have a look at some of the fantastic merchandise I picked up from the Ghost Train Shop! :D